What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:27 am Stage 6 I hear.
Isn't it wonderful?
TheRealInja
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: African Wild Dog
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by TheRealInja »

Feeling like crap today, too sore and coughing up a lung to be out in public this morning. So staying in and working on more stories to try crack that 100k views before end of the year.
First do no harm, then try leave things better than you found them.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Sounds like a fun goal!!

I'm tired as fuck. I got 14 units repaired and 8 screens. Was an insane push and I still have 13 left to repair. But hey
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Trying to figure out how our client wants us to attatch a certain connector to the enclosure of his product.

He gave us a sample with a completely different connector.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Glue!
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 pm Glue!
XD Yes. A unit that gets installed as a safety device in a mine will be heald together by ducktape and superglue.

Nah. I decided on CNCing 8 holes, and screwing it in from behind.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Hey, in South Africa, I wouldn't be that surprised.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I'm going to go be sociable and meet new people after lunch. :O
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Nash
Species: Crux Hybrid

Post by Nash »

I'm hammering out the last section of my thesis! I also just wanted to pop in and say that I hope everyone is well! Sending all the good vibes 💜🌟
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Nash wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am I'm hammering out the last section of my thesis! I also just wanted to pop in and say that I hope everyone is well! Sending all the good vibes 💜🌟
No.
Screenshot_2022-10-31-15-35-57-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Don't be salty because your thesis isn't finished yet Galahad!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Waiting for some gaming. Should be fun.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
TheRealInja

Post by TheRealInja »

I'd initially set myself the goal of breaking 100k submission views before the end of 2022, but due to a miscalculation on my part, I actually hit that goal sometime in October. Now instead of writing a new story every couple of days, I'm playing more MWO and making Christmas memes to entertain the ladies at work. I've taken to hiding a little Maria Carrey in every countdown pic, slowly increasing her size the closer we get to the day they begin playing her dreaded songs again ;P
Nash

Post by Nash »

Doing absolutely NOTHING for the first time this year! Yahoo!!!
TheRealInja

Post by TheRealInja »

Honestly never thought I'd get to this point, but about to start writing my first of two paid commission stories for two different people/clients. 😮
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

TheRealInja wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:36 am Honestly never thought I'd get to this point, but about to start writing my first of two paid commission stories for two different people/clients. 😮
Oh wow! That's pretty impressive! :D
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

On leave from what has been really busy work. Taking today to rest up and sleep, then going to get back into some long-neglected hobbies tomorrow
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Merry Christmas!
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I got my hair cut. I really need to get better about doing it regularly, not only when my hair is completely out of control.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Happy I Love Free Software Day to me. :/
photo_2023-02-14_11-22-50.jpg
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
TheRealInja

Post by TheRealInja »

Congratulations, you're having a toaster! Just kidding, that sucks. Hope you're able to isolate easily enough and don't get hit too bad. Second person in as many weeks I know that caught it. Wasn't me though, I promise >.> Look after yourself and monitor that O2 stat!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Relaxing after a crazy week and sipping on some chamomile tea. This morning I noticed that they're shooting the 3rd (or possibly 4th) Keeping Up With The Kandasamys movie next door to me. So cool!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I've been around here for 15 years!
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I just finished the first book I've read in ages!

Also NoVa_WolfzZ and I are moving to a new place.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Reading South African news just angers me so much. Completely incompetent government.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Things have been going well. Been looking for property potentially to buy (weighing the long term financial risks of renting versus owning), and then - after I got approval from my current work to do freelance engineering consulting on the side - registered my own domain and am preparing a portfolio to present to two interested clients next week. Then, also finishing up my master's thesis.

Things are rough in SA, but I think some are too pessimistic. Now's a good chance to practice some self reliance and proactivity. There are challenges here you won't find anywhere else, but there are opportunities you won't find anywhere else either.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I go back and forth there. It's true, there's some opportunities and you can get nicer property in SA for cheaper than elsewhere. But then I worry about the government and their ideas of just taking people's property and wonder how safe it would be in the long term. If they get desperate and turn to populism to keep power? And starting a business seems even more risky. Not only do you have all the regular challenges, power issues and so on but there's not insignificant risk of losing it all in looting. The risks just seem so high to actually invest anything inside the country.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I agree with some of what you've said. With there being talk of amending the constitution to allow for expropriation without compensation, that is concerning (although whether the advocates would get their two thirds necessary in parliament to do it is uncertain at this point). And of course, the infamous never-ending load shedding that is likely to worsen.

That being said, here is where I think South Africa is better than anywhere else (and bear in mind this is influenced by my own experience and biases, so mileage will vary):

- Unique growth potential and exposure: I maintain that South Africa is ideal for young graduates to grow in. In the tech industry, South Africa is known for "small teams, big projects", where you wear many hats. We have less manpower and smaller budgets, so we make do. Overseas, there is more red tape and barriers to entry, especially in Europe. So SA is a good "starting point" for you to get an impressive lead in experience over your overseas peers. Slap on certification when or if you want to move overseas, and you've got an advantage. Again, I've seen this happen personally about half a dozen times. On my first job, I was thrust into a design role usually reserved for someone more experienced, because they had no-one else. On my second job, same thing, except as a simulation and analysis engineer. One year later, I'm using that experience to train someone else below me.

- Entrepreneurs: Unless you're planning something truly capital intensive (like a factory etc.), I'd argue the opposite to what you did - especially for something like a software startup, SA is ideal spawning grounds for small businesses. And we are in the unique position in that we are cheap internationally but speak English well and are skilled, and therefore attract international contracts (my company deals almost entirely with India and South Asia, the UAE, and some parts of East Europe). Foreign investment may be an issue, but I'd say there are alternatives - from bootstrapping and growing organically (yes, it is possible; I did a contract at one company that started that way, and am trying to do it myself on the side) to private crowdfunding. Take out the middle man (like banks) and approach private investors and potential shareholders yourself.

- Necessity is the mother of invention: We have our problems. But we are seeing unique, grassroots-up solutions beginning to emerge in the face of deeply centralised corruption and incompetence. Neighborhood watches, supplemented by private security, are keeping law and order during times the poorly led police cannot (July 2021 is a case in point). We are seeing feasibility studies being done on concepts to fix our power problems: regardless of what you think of them, Afriforum is in talks with a South African born entrepreneur in the US to see if in the future we can procure pebble bed nuclear reactors. We are also seeing the solar industry boom, and the biodiesel industry may follow suite.

So, yes...
In summary? SA's government is shit and we are facing a lot of problems. But we are now a testing and proving grounds to the rest of the world for solutions to it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Barely crawling through my work-back year at university. I'm also eating my 3rd pizza this week (new personal record, but not a proud one). At least I know that teaching/lecturing is definitely not a career choice I'd like to pursue one day! Mega shout out to any teachers on here, don't know how you do it! :D
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Nash wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:07 pm Barely crawling through my work-back year at university. I'm also eating my 3rd pizza this week (new personal record, but not a proud one). At least I know that teaching/lecturing is definitely not a career choice I'd like to pursue one day! Mega shout out to any teachers on here, don't know how you do it! :D
I gave a few classes in Uni, and I loved every second of it!
:D
I think if the pay wasn't as bad I'd love to do it one day