THE PLUSH DISCUSH

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

THE PLUSH DISCUSH

Post by Animew »

FRIENDS FURS AND COUNTRYMEN!
UwU/ it has come to my attention that there are a lot of really bad plushies in the world. bad plushies are one of those things that really tear my heart right out of my kitty cat chest... i mean they were intended to be cute but then fail miserably! its not their fault! they cant help it! and usually their parents still love them!
i want to love them too but i cant because they are all deformed, then i feel bad for being a shitty person that cant love the poor special little things...

so to avoid bad plushies from being born in our fair community i make this thread to discuss what makes a plush great! HOORAY FOR EUGENICS!
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Animew
Banter kitty

Re: THE PLUSH DISCUSH

Post by Animew »

to open up i'll address the oversized forehead deformity:
UwU/ shape of the head in relation to the muzzle is rather important as that gourd shaped head can make the plush look completely out of balance.
in the above example it seems there was quite a bit of effort put into the shape since there's three sutures. however that allowed too much space in the head so it got the Befis n Butt head look.
this firedog on the other hand has a single cranial suture hence it has a more shapely head.
there is the unicorn effect still tho. making a good round head is not surprisingly, similar to making the hood of a hoodie so a good place to get inspiration for head patters is a hood... it will increase the amount of parts but its not like you are designing it to be mass produced in a sweatshop.

i'd like to hear your take on making the round part of the plush's head. is a single piece better than two seprit pieces? and why?
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

another thing i'd like to point out is stuffing. it depends on the material that you used, how tightly you CAN stuff your plush.
and your stuffing will largely determine the shapelyness of its body, tight stuffing will obviously give curves but kinda make it rigid. less stuffing gives you a floppyer feel.
finding a decent balance that gives you shape and cuddleability is crucial.
Sadrok
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Anthro Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sadrok »

My plush Twilight Sparkles has the derpiest of faces. And I paid so much for her also ;_;
But I love cuddling her very very much.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

Uuuuummm... Maybe I'm just stupid... But what is this tread actually for?
Discussing derpy plushes and the things cheepo manufacturers do wrong?
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Sadrok wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:47 pm My plush Twilight Sparkles has the derpiest of faces. And I paid so much for her also ;_;
But I love cuddling her very very much.
the ponies are trending pretty hard so i'd venture to guess there are a lot of designs for plushies of them right now but sadly the designs came out of a desire to capitalize on the trend and not out of crafts ambition. \UwU/ so alas derpy twilight... derpy twilight everywhere.
but what would you say did they get wrong? was it the cheeks? in the MLP vinyl figurines they made the cheeks too puffy IMO so they have a kinda pudgy old lady look.
but i've seen some pretty bad ones... like:
ANGRY FETUS:
CYCLOPS SAUSAGE:
and last but not least
RUMPLE PLOOP:

there are on the other hand some pretty good ones:
this one has good shaping, not sure how cuddleable it is tho.

Owo but i have observed you get more borderline lewd custom plush of MLP than any other thing.
i mean the pose is pretty raunchy already but wtf is up with that LOOD loling tongue and bedroom eyes? UwU/ i mean that just begs for aftermarket modification along the lines of SPH and IOH.
Adagio wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 pm Maybe I'm just stupid
...UwU/ lol, too easy... i'll let that one slide cyber snep.
Adagio wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 pm Discussing derpy plushes and the things cheepo manufacturers do wrong?
noooo... well, actually... yea kinda... but more for discussing tips and tricks to avoid plushies from looking derpy. UwU/ lots of love and effort goes into making plushies, and when they turn out deformed and or hideous it is downright tragic.
SO
to try and avoid that there is this discussion.
Sadrok

Post by Sadrok »

I present to you... Derplecstia!

But these two are very very cute indeed ^_^;
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Sadrok wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 pm I present to you... Derplecstia!
>w< NYAHAHAHAHAA!

i think the problem is largely that the eyes are a bit low. the head is a bit cane crook shaped but that could be fixed easily.

Owo that dog kinda looks demented tho... kinda like its about to bite rainbow dash's face off after she said something offensive and she's smug about it.
Sadrok

Post by Sadrok »

Animew wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 am
Sadrok wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 pm I present to you... Derplecstia!
Owo that dog kinda looks demented tho... kinda like its about to bite rainbow dash's face off after she said something offensive and she's smug about it.
I again though he was like "Rainbow Dash! You is my hero!"
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

it could be that, but he is lifting his front paw too. UwU/ canines do that when they are feeling insecure about a situation. its that reflex that people used in pointer breeds to make that iconic pose. <w< if a dog ever looks at you so that you can see the white in its eyes and it lifts its paw like that it is probably about to bite you because it thinks you are a threat.

\OwO/ on a different note, i am designing a jerboa plush!
basing it on the ones in Ark because ERMEGERDDAKOOTNESS!