Easter Art Competition Voting

Where the brave denizens of ZA Fur battle it out in contests of skill to earn the winner's golden crown.

Which is your choice to win the Easter Art Competition?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 am

Cape Fox Entry #1
32%
Trace Entry #1
5%
Trace Entry #2
5%
Animew Entry #1
9%
Sudan Red Entry #1
45%
Leeward Entry #1
5%

Total votes: 22
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Easter Art Competition Voting

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

These are the following entries for the Easter Art Competition. You have 7 days to vote for the entry you think was the best picture and most deserves to win.

Cape Fox Entry #1 (Burning the false gods)

Trace Entry #1

Trace Entry #2

Animew Entry #1

Sudan Red Entry #1

Leeward Entry #1
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Re: Easter Art Competition Voting

Post by Cape_F0X »

My master piece has a title you know! Art should be taken seriously.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Cape_F0X wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:16 am My master piece has a title you know! Art should be taken seriously.
I've added that to the main text.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

I really enjoyed this competition. Thank you to all the artists who submitted. :)
Hahaha! :lol:
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

Agreed. Thank you to everyone who entered. ^.^
This was a lot of fun, and I will be looking forward to more like this. :3
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Kievvu
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

I know it's late but I'm just gna write out what my idea was...Unfortunately I didn't get the time to draw it out.
Basically I was gna have Kievvu sitting there with a big easter egg and a paint brush with blue paint on it and next to him would be Fy (my paintfox) clutching his tail that he's hiding behind, while his paint is dripping down into a puddle on the floor. Which Kievvu has been dipping his brush into.

Just thought that would be quite cute.
Fy made by SketchCat.jpg
For reference tho. That's Fy. He's a paintfox. Blue acrylic. I didn't make him (he was made by someone called SketchCat almost two years ago now) or create the species and I'm not sure who did.
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

woopwoopwoop! go little light foot! cm'on guys, cape fox just needs one more vote to tie for lead. UwU/ then we can have two winners.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

That seems a bit spiteful, Animew?

Why not let the people vote honestly, instead? If we wanted a farce, we could have asked Rakuen to leave the voting out, and declare everyone a winner at the end.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Ryall wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm That seems a bit spiteful, Animew?
oh come now chubs, what has become of that Stirling sense of humor of yours?
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

First place males under 30 or Welterweight champion is ok I guess.
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Ahem... well... I voted for Cape. XD
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Animew wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pmthen we can have two winners.
In keeping with the theme, if we have two winners, we're going for sudden death.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:58 pm
Animew wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pmthen we can have two winners.
In keeping with the theme, if we have two winners, we're going for sudden death.
No fair a Lioness weighs 150kg more than a Cape Fox!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

You made your bed, now you have to sleep in it.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:14 pm You made your bed, now you have to sleep in it.
AND you called me fat! IT IS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, SON!

;)
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

U.U i think any hopes of a death mach has been crushed under the weight of the sudden surge of furs, Sudan only needs one more to have double Cape's score. well, unless predatory instinct kicks in and she mauls him anyway...
but how the fuck did this even happen tho? i mean sure its an excellent piece but aren't the fandom suppose to be mostly gay? how is a freaking girl bunny in a bikini beating a sexy male fox doing manly things!? this is an outrage! its like... homophobic or something at the very least! Owo or perhaps its hetero tolerant? i've lost touch with the flavors of the time i guess so, BACK under my rock i go.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

I didn't say anything about fat, I said apex predator proportioned.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Animew wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 pm
Ryall wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm That seems a bit spiteful, Animew?
oh come now chubs, what has become of that Stirling sense of humor of yours?
It's just that you're insane, so it is hard to tell if you're joking or not. 😛
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Animew wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:22 amaren't the fandom suppose to be mostly gay?
This information is probably out of date by now, but last time I checked the fandom was only about 35% - 40% gay.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Animew wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:22 am but how the fuck did this even happen tho? i mean sure its an excellent piece but aren't the fandom suppose to be mostly gay? how is a freaking girl bunny in a bikini beating a sexy male fox doing manly things!? this is an outrage!
If that were true my nude male easter bunny pinup would have more than zero votes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Although seriously I'd like to know what I did wrong, I thought I did all right apart from the fuck-it basket.

Unless it's personal..?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Your art is too high class for this establishment Leeward.

People want Boobs, beer and violence... and to a lesser extent a pink bunny hoodie.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Ryall wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:04 am It's just that you're insane, so it is hard to tell if you're joking or not. 😛
lol, fair enough.
Leeward wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm Although seriously I'd like to know what I did wrong, I thought I did all right apart from the fuck-it basket.
UwU/ nothing was done wrongly Lee, your technique was excellent. it comes down to audience specific appeal: the subtle highlights in the hair makes the hair look dark, the expression is of content intrigue and the fact that he looks to be presenting one specific egg while seeming to gesture the others low gives the feel of "dark temptation". not many people are drawn to the noir pieces because of simple psychology. <w< i should know, my style is in its nature dark and it only attracts a limited crowd. to appeal to the masses you have to make something clear and colorful.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Granted though I had shitty lighting to take a picture of the sketch so I tweaked the contrast etc before sending it. I took a pic in sunlight the next morning and it looked far better.
Kievvu
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

I do believe some are purely voting because boobs
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

I don’t think this contest is fair but whatevs
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

You're all joking right? I know for certain at least 5 of the people who voted for Sudan's picture are gay, myself included. This boobs and unfairness nonsense doesn't cut it.

I can't believe the poor sportsmanship I am seeing from participants and spectators. I am talking about you, Arty, Kievvu, and Cape Fox.

Too many people in this world take losing really hard, but what they seem to forget is that whether they compete or not, there will always be people who are better than them, and who are worse than them at a certain skill. Only one in seven billion gets to be the best at something at any given moment. Whether you win or lose, a competition is an opportunity to improve yourself, learn from others, and showcase your talent. We should embrace competition, and losing. Everyone who entered can be proud of their artwork.

I know results can be disappointing, and you didn't have to congratulate Sudan, but losing wasn't an invitation to act like a brat and disparage the competition either.

Something for everyone to think about is that the number of votes you got isn't a reflection of how good your art was relative to somebody else's: we were forced to pick only one piece to vote for. If I could have, I would have awarded points to Animew and Leeward, because I personally really enjoyed their art too. It was a tough choice for me, with Sudan's piece maybe winning my vote by only a few percentage. My one vote doesn't reflect that though, and it doesn't reflect how good I thought the other pieces were. I imagine I was not alone in this sentiment.

In the end, I voted for Sudan because I personally liked the colours, the clean linework, the style, and the composition. It was a close call though, and my vote was subjective: it doesn't mean that Sudan's art is objectively the best. Other people would have had differently criteria for their votes. Some people would have chosen Cape's because they thought the piece was funny, or Trace's because they liked the theme. Again though, that doesn't mean they disliked the other pieces. If there were a points system, it would have been possible for a piece to be a close second for all the voters - not being a first choice by anyone - but Ron have still won the competition overall. A single vote system doesn't reflect that, so don't feel bad if you didn't get as many votes as you would have liked.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Hey! Don't group me with the poor sportsmen.

I'm glad 19 people have voted so far. And I've always been a fan of Sudan's work.
I like that the competition gives us something else to do and talk about.

So please people, DON'T TURN IT INTO DRAMA!
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Well now... this is rather awkward.

I am not entirely clear how it is unfair...? I don't think any of us has formal art training (I am a boring scientist... XD) and we are all just hobbyists. Each picture was really unique! I liked that. So many interpretations on the same theme, each with its own merits. I actually thought my entry would be too generic or even boring, but I had said I would enter, so I did.

I thought the rules were clear & simple - everyone who wants to, can submit a drawing (for fun) and then it will be put to a popular vote with no real prize to be won. I really thought everyone was just participating in a fun activity with some playful sledging/bantering. C'mon guys, let's not spoil what was an otherwise Nice Thing (TM).
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

I voted for Trace 2 because I thought it was the nearest thing to a Jew being executed.
Maybe-Cute-Easter-Thing1.png
nailed-to-the-cross.png
I Guess the bunny is happy because he was resurrected?

And the slight incline of the background there represents the hills of Golgotha? (Where the Romans did their thing Romans do?)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

If anyone was wondering whether furs can turn a fun, little art competition into drama, the answer is yes.

I would certainly not say Cape Fox was being unsporting, I certainly read all his posts as very light-hearted. I think that goes for the majority of posts here. I don't want to have to step in over drama in this sort of thread of all things so, as the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~