Importing Fursuits - Useful Customs Information

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

ArtyLoop
Sexual preference: Straight

Importing Fursuits - Useful Customs Information

Post by ArtyLoop »

The following info is gleaned from my recent experience importing a fursuit and related components:

Tarriff code to use: 9607.100.03
Customs Duty: Nil
VAT: 14%
Type: SAD500 automatic release

My partner is an expert on customs laws and clearing and this is exactly the correct information as double-checked.
We didn't need an importer's code because it was our first shipment
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Re: Importing Fursuits - Useful Customs Information

Post by YoteFox »

For what item is this as per defined? I've been researching into the taxation quite a lot and I stumbled upon the tax import rates for fabrics and garments.
I can't exactly remember the schedule numbers but I remember fabrics and garments being taxed at different rates. I believe it was in the import schedules 58 and 60 can't remember it's been a few months.

fabrics were taxed at 22% excluding VAT
Garments were taxed at I believe it was 44% excluding VAT

Now a fursuit would be classified as a garment since it is a completed item.
If I'm not mistaken since I imported the resin headbase from SPS from America customs duties gets assigned in SA before you pick up your package from the post office
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
ArtyLoop
Sexual preference: Straight

Re: Importing Fursuits - Useful Customs Information

Post by ArtyLoop »

Hi Yote
It all depends, you see there's a huge problem with incorrect tariff classifications in this country. As some of you know my partner has been in shipping and imports for most of her life. She has been required to know the Customs laws backwards, forwards and backwards again over the years- Its amazing, she knows stuff I could never ever imagine- that book as thick as my forearm with all the stuff SARS uses, she knows it well.

That's why we get it right. I have the whole Customs file for my suit, it was a straightforward exercise. I kept the documents because I know its going to help everyone.

To this end, and to somewhat help the fandom in this regard, my wife is contemplating running a side business from home to deal in fur and suchlike to help us all.