Making fursuits has become really expensive

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Making fursuits has become really expensive

Post by YoteFox »

So in light of recent changes in the economy fur prices have sky rocketed and I'm afraid making a business out of fursuits in South Africa might become but only a dream. Fur by itself is already expensive in America this we know, let's take an average of $21 per yard.

The one of few places I can actually import from that would ship to South Africa charges $97 shipping(This goes up with quantity). The other place has no shipping charge but takes up to 3 months to deliver and is at the mercy of the post offices so for business purposes that is not an option also this is at $36 per meter*150

So lets take for example a simple pair of gloves, the fur needed is around 20-30cm BUT you can only import a yard or half a yard, making the fur without shipping on a pair of gloves $21 add shipping $97 and that equals $118 for business purposes we use an average exchange rate of R15 to the dollar to avoid loss. $118*R15=R1770 Just for the fur, excluding the consumables and my own mark up because I would be dumb not to put mark up as that is how a business works.

Consumables working out to R50, Labour R300(which is almost a loss) and fur being R1770. Which ends up making just a pair of simple monotone gloves R2120

I can't charge reasonable prices with the price of importation, it's become too expensive. However a Fullsuit will work out cheaper in the long run since it would be a once off import of fur but still this would be per color of fur. 10 Yards roughly works out to R5838 including shipping, one body takes around 3-4 meters and I can sell off the excess fur to cover the costs... It can be sold off if I were to import 10 yards at a time for R600 per meter then and then I neither incurred a loss nor a profit on the fur.
I need to contact the supplier then to find out the max amount of fur I can import

I'm going to do more research on sustainable and affordable suppliers but it really isn't looking good for the local fursuit market, it might reach international prices with me not making a satisfying mark up to keep going. If anyone knows of a sustainable supplier or a place where we can get fur from I would appreciate the help so much!
I really want to get the market for this going and start up a possible fur trading post of the sorts for us.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Making fursuits has become really expensive

Post by Leeward »

I've found several places in the WP that sell a variety of fur. I can give you their contact details if you like? Couriering within SA is still going to be cheaper than importing it yourself.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Leeward wrote:I've found several places in the WP that sell a variety of fur. I can give you their contact details if you like? Couriering within SA is still going to be cheaper than importing it yourself.
I would very much appreciate it
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

This is my go-to place for pretty much everything except the heavier hardware stuff (like punches, eyelets, carabiners, glue gun sticks, etc, which I get from Builders Warehouse): http://www.fabric-centre.co.za/ I can send you pics of what they have in stock when I go if you like, I go there fairly regularly since it's like 20km away from me.

Otherwise there's this big warehouse in Cape Town: http://www.studio47.co.za/

And also this place. They don't have a website but I've found some lovely patterned furs there: http://showme.co.za/hermanus/lifestyle/ ... tory-shop/
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

You know what I find interesting is that almost no one lists their fur on their online stores. The people in South Africa that is.

I've sent both the first two places a request, think I'll have to phone the third place sometime. Do these places have like the radical fur colors like lime green, red, blue etc
Because I can find the basic fur colors black, white and brown at Chamdor Faktry sales here in Chamdor but other than that I cant really find the radical colors anymore. Printed patterns I can also find at Chamdor. I can't get grey at all anymore though.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Fabric Centre has had green and pink fur in stock ever since last year, and more recently I've found all sorts of colours like navy, electric blue, burgundy, faux wolf, and even fake sheepskin.

If you're not having any luck getting them to courier, I'm happy to take you virtual shopping and send it over myself. ^^ PostNet Stellenbosch is having specials on domestic courier at the moment.

Also yes, that's one thing I absolutely hate about technophobic (/technostupid) South Africa is that nobody thinks of having a catalogue on their website! It's ridiculous that you have to phone to ask if they have something in stock in this day and age.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Leeward wrote:Fabric Centre has had green and pink fur in stock ever since last year, and more recently I've found all sorts of colours like navy, electric blue, burgundy, faux wolf, and even fake sheepskin.

If you're not having any luck getting them to courier, I'm happy to take you virtual shopping and send it over myself. ^^ PostNet Stellenbosch is having specials on domestic courier at the moment.

Also yes, that's one thing I absolutely hate about technophobic (/technostupid) South Africa is that nobody thinks of having a catalogue on their website! It's ridiculous that you have to phone to ask if they have something in stock in this day and age.
Lee I swear I can kiss you right now, Damn This was the place I was looking for thank you!!!

Yeah the US sites are so nice and easy to use
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Woah there, I have a boyfriend! :lol: You're very welcome. ^^

I usually go there on Saturdays so if you want I can spam you with photos then?
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

Leeward wrote:Woah there, I have a boyfriend! :lol: You're very welcome. ^^

I usually go there on Saturdays so if you want I can spam you with photos then?
Please spam here. I'm also searching. XD
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

If it helps, I discovered The Waste Centre has some stuff on their online store. But if it is the correct fur type wanted, I can't vouch for that.
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Oooor... we could always come up with a uniquely South African way to costume. :) Fur is impractical in our climate. Why not use textured foam, papier mache, painted resin etc instead?

PS Yes I still covet a reeeeaaaally cute suit for charity work, but it would be suicide! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Or we could fursuit only in winter..?
Kievvu
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

and get our fur wet in the rain?
Now I want to attach an umbrella to the top of Kievvus head...
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
YINYANG
Species: Mythical

Post by YINYANG »

Do you make suits?
Eylof
Species: Wolf
Region: Western Cape
Location: Monte Vista , plattekloof glen , in your nightmares... joke ^^

Post by Eylof »

YINYANG wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am Do you make suits?
He doesnt really take commissions, he mostly just make for himself Yote is a busy guy and dont have time to take coms XP
~The problem is not the problem... the problem is your attitude towards the problem~ Cpt. Jack Sparrow
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

I am about to ask him he's willing to help me do mine, of course I know he's busy, but yeah, there's hope.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I could make suits again, but I won't have time this year at all... Maybe in 2019 depending on how this year goes
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote