The Fur Problem

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

The Fur Problem

Post by Sudan Red »

It came up in another thread (I think Chloe's Bongo thread), so I'm calling all crafters & fursuit makers!

Fur is desperately difficult to obtain in SA. I think my local shop, Habby Hyper has pretty decent stock, but lacks in variety of colours (they mostly have black & cream in acceptable length & price).

Do you guys think it might be possible to get either a "fur trading post" (hahaha I imagine a yukon fur trapper's hut when I say that...) or some bulk orders to save on shipping done?

What are your experiences with fur quality, prices & availability? Are there alternatives to consider (eg velvet, fleece, felt etc)?
Astro Fox
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Re: Bulk Buy Fur

Post by Astro Fox »

Habby and Lace in Vereeniging sells Fur by the yard. I Bought from thm a month ago, R100 a yard,but it was on special. The are also pretty well stocked, mostly hav black and white colors but the were a few roles that were red, purple , blue and orange
Nasheera

Re: The Fur Problem

Post by Nasheera »

Before we start talking about shipping fur from overseas, why don't we consider asking outlets, such as Habby Hyper etc. if they couldn't order our desired fur for us?
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Yeah that's the idea - not just ordering from overseas but kind of redistributing existing fur supplies either by trading or buying & shipping internally (eg Pta to Standerton). :)

I will pop by Habby Hyper & snap a photo of what they have available & approx prices. If others could do the same for their local shops, we could build up an idea of the stock/colours available.
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

Excellent! I'll stop by the material shop by me and see what they've got, although they may not have any fur I'll find out if they could order. Will discuss prices etc. with them. They do however have a vast supply of fleece, although it's not entirely ideal for fursuit crafting, I'll look into it later this week!
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

I have gone through the process before of having to look for fur, it's difficult and annoying and I have ended up having to import fur at $60 per yard. It's expensive yes but the best quality I can get, quality is what you are looking for with fur.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Gosh the selection was ever more dire than I remembered. They have an acceptable variety in colour of very short, soft minky fur (R150/m)(deffo no shaving but very nice to pet, think PEP store soft blankies), but limited variety of long, shave-able fur-fur (R550/m). There was an intermediate fur at R320/m, but it was textured like sheepwool - would be great to use for something shaggy but I am not sure how successful shaving it would be.

Yote - I hate to admit you might be right. ^___^;;; Where did you get your fur? All imported? (Read on your blog entry that the fabric shop no longer stocks fur due to exchange rate).
Attachments
R550/m
R550/m
R550/m
R550/m
R150/m
R150/m
R150/m
R150/m
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Sudan Red wrote:Gosh the selection was ever more dire than I remembered. They have an acceptable variety in colour of very short, soft minky fur (R150/m)(deffo no shaving but very nice to pet, think PEP store soft blankies), but limited variety of long, shave-able fur-fur (R550/m). There was an intermediate fur at R320/m, but it was textured like sheepwool - would be great to use for something shaggy but I am not sure how successful shaving it would be.

Yote - I hate to admit you might be right. ^___^;;; Where did you get your fur? All imported? (Read on your blog entry that the fabric shop no longer stocks fur due to exchange rate).
The sheepwool fur is known as mongolian or sheepwool me thinks. It can be made straight with a cold wash and a patient and steady hand.
The fur on Vex on my Avatar I got from Chamdor faktry sales in Krugersdorp. Though any radical fur colors will have to be imported, I don't like sharing my source but as we all are here in good faith and not to unethically compete I will gladly share:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... Fur+Fabric

Browse around on this site for faux fur. Just take into considertion you WANT to pay for shipping with this as it will ensure the safety of the fabric. I have used this site for allot of imports before, very trustworthy with a system that blocks fraud. DO NOT LET THEM SHIP FUR FOR FREE!!!! Then it will be at the mercy of the postal service in SA and you don't want that.
I have not imported fur as of yet from them. Read the description aswell, give more info on how to order.

I am saving up to make my original fursona Yote that is lime green. Vex is a basic fursuit and would be around base prices if I was ever to sell him(I won't)
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Hmmm now where did I see that before...
The fur on Vex on my Avatar I got from Chamdor faktry sales in Krugersdorp.
Must have been there yes. Anyways I haven't been there in ages. There is another branch of this store in North Riding, has anyone tried there?
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Randall wrote:Hmmm now where did I see that before...
The fur on Vex on my Avatar I got from Chamdor faktry sales in Krugersdorp.
Must have been there yes. Anyways I haven't been there in ages. There is another branch of this store in North Riding, has anyone tried there?
All the Chamdors stock the same fabrics ^.^
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Everyone should move to the US, you can find high quality faux fur at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.
northernicebear
Species: Journalist Shirokuma
Region: Other

Post by northernicebear »

Sev wrote:Everyone should move to the US, you can find high quality faux fur at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.
Theres a warehouse near my city that gives you 100yd for 110$
"Sans café, sans vie" (Without coffee, without life) My Grandma Chloë
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Coming Soon to Cape Town ^^ (2017 Year~????)
Icon Credit: Raven Song :3
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

northernicebear wrote:
Sev wrote:Everyone should move to the US, you can find high quality faux fur at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.
Theres a warehouse near my city that gives you 100yd for 110$
Hahaha! That's A LOT of fur! Imagine trying to agree on what colour to get 100yards of! :lol:
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

Sudan Red wrote:Gosh the selection was ever more dire than I remembered. They have an acceptable variety in colour of very short, soft minky fur (R150/m)(deffo no shaving but very nice to pet, think PEP store soft blankies), but limited variety of long, shave-able fur-fur (R550/m). There was an intermediate fur at R320/m, but it was textured like sheepwool - would be great to use for something shaggy but I am not sure how successful shaving it would be.
I am HOPELESSLY in love with all that fur! It looks so luxurious and I love the patterned ones. Would definitely consider making a fursuit with that collection, although we'd have to limit the characters colours.

I did stop by my local material shop yesterday...what a waste of time. I attempted asking one of the clerks about the fur story, if they ever get any in or would be willing to order, but she replied saying "If we don't have it, we don't have it, end of story." Pfffft!

Anyway, Sudan Red, loving the fur by you!
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

"If we don't have it, we don't have it, end of story." Pfffft!
The "new" way of doing business in SA indeed. Sorry to hear you got burned.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Chloe wrote:
I am HOPELESSLY in love with all that fur! It looks so luxurious and I love the patterned ones. Would definitely consider making a fursuit with that collection, although we'd have to limit the characters colours.

I did stop by my local material shop yesterday...what a waste of time. I attempted asking one of the clerks about the fur story, if they ever get any in or would be willing to order, but she replied saying "If we don't have it, we don't have it, end of story." Pfffft!

Anyway, Sudan Red, loving the fur by you!
Hahaha... was basically the reaction I got too, so there ya go!

If you want any of the fur, let me know to pick it up for you. The reaaaally nice furs are between R350-550 a meter. My buddy is from Standerton so she can maybe drop it for you when she next visits her folks or alternatively I pass through St. Anderton (so posh!) about 3 times a year to go to Wakkerstroom.