make za furries unique

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

what would make us unique

Poll ended at Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Special bandanas
46%
Certain pins(for ear)
No votes
Tags to place on dog collar
31%
Other please comment it to me as a pmand ill add it here
23%

Total votes: 13
Iggy Twiggy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fallen angel wolf
Region: Gauteng

make za furries unique

Post by Iggy Twiggy »

Hello everyone hope you are having a relaxing weekend i want to make us za furries unique from the others something thall make us za furries stand out from other furries from other countries so please vote or give suggestions
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: make za furries unique

Post by Leeward »

How about... hmm, I don't know, hailing from South Africa?
DRSgrievous
Species: Dragon

Post by DRSgrievous »

I surtainly like that
I will fight onto the end, none shall harm a family member or a friend, death is just a step, my spirit fights unto the end.
Kspore
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Leeward wrote:How about... hmm, I don't know, hailing from South Africa?
Yes we hail from SA and that makes us unique as far as the fandom as a whole goes. But what makes us stand out from other countries sub fandoms?
You know, add our own South African flare to the mix.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I don't see the point. We are unique and in South Africa we are all South African furries, so a distinguishing mark would make no sense. There aren't enough of us overseas for a mark to help find one another at furry conventions and no one else would recognise which wouldn't serve to raise our profile at all. I can't see any reason for this other than wanting to be different just for the sake of being different.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

"I can't see any reason for this other than wanting to be different just for the sake of being different."

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's a gimmick.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Let us bear in mind Mr Twiggy is, by his own admission, very young and is quite new to the community before we start taking offense or being pretentious.

I appreciate your concern about us being unique, Twiggy. :) However, why not wait until after we have a real reason to stand out? The South African furry community is still small, and quite young. Your ideas may be more useful once we grow and begin having large conventions of our own.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm not against the idea of branding the forum and the community, but there wouldn't be nearly enough demand to warrant making several hundred ZAFur logo keychains and such. It's premature, and doesn't really mean anything.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

With all reason adhered to, I agree with the points Rauken, Sev and Stargazer have made and I do see it as more of a gimmick. That said I still feel that it would be a small token to show how proud we are of our sub-fandom. I see it as more of a way to show that we are part of a group and that we are "unique".
It would be more of a personal thing than a way to stick out, like almost an initiation of some sort. A way to show we are a group. Well that's my oppion of the situation. :)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

But we're not a group. We're just a bunch of random people who happen to like something in common.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Kspore wrote:It would be more of a personal thing than a way to stick out, like almost an initiation of some sort. A way to show we are a group. Well that's my oppion of the situation. :)
That sounds more like a cult. :/

*Lights candles around new forum member*
"Now place your hand on this paw print and swear to be fluffy forever... Now Valerion will hand you your new keychain and we will all howl in greeting.
"Arooo!
"Now you will wear this at all times as a symbol of the ZAFurs."

o.0 Yeah, that seems creepy.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

So then technically we are are a "group" of people with the same interests and ideas.
We are a "group" of South Africans (and others) who enjoy the furry fandom.

When you make it sound like that it sounds terrible. Its just a way to show we are.... here because we want to be here. To show we are a "group".
Last edited by Kspore on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Yeah, but there's no reason to make some distinguishing group feature. You can just use a symbol to show you are furry (it's the Phi Paw for those that don't know) and since we are in South Africa it will be assumed that that means you are a South African fur.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Yeah, but there's no reason to make some distinguishing group feature. You can just use a symbol to show you are furry (it's the Phi Paw for those that don't know) and since we are in South Africa it will be assumed that that means you are a South African fur.
There are symbols already to show your a furry?
How would they know we are South African though? (Obviously by not telling them of course )
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Yes. The Phi Paw symbol or just the Greek letter phi.
Because we are in South Africa. If you are outside the country it might be different but most people are not but there are really two main situations where you are meeting furs. Either you know them online already and so they are aware you are from South Africa or you are meeting them at a convention, in which case your country's flag is probably on your convention badge. And even if you're not, they can just ask. It's really not that important because we shouldn't be treating people differently because they come from one or another country.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

True, true. There are convention badges? (To be honest I haven't gone to a convention yet).
I agree that we (or actually I , nvm) are over- thinking this. We still need to grow before this can be a thing. But I do encourage the production of one, just in case. :)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Although there I think it set badges according to where you were coming from, i.e. address, which for me was Austria. I think I set it to display correctly this time. But in any case if it's showing where I come from or where I am living isn't too important.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

At least that looks better than the tag the owner of the forum walks around with.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Kspore wrote:It would be more of a personal thing than a way to stick out, like almost an initiation of some sort. A way to show we are a group. Well that's my oppion of the situation. :)
That sounds more like a cult. :/

*Lights candles around new forum member*
"Now place your hand on this paw print and swear to be fluffy forever... Now Valerion will hand you your new keychain and we will all howl in greeting.
"Arooo!
"Now you will wear this at all times as a symbol of the ZAFurs."

o.0 Yeah, that seems creepy.
OOOH! I would like to be mistress of sacrifices in the furry cult! preferably sacrifices in fires, well done, over easy, add extra spice, no gravy! I am on a diet.
northernicebear
Species: Journalist Shirokuma

Post by northernicebear »

*walks in and backs out of thread slowly*
"Sans café, sans vie" (Without coffee, without life) My Grandma Chloë
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Coming Soon to Cape Town ^^ (2017 Year~????)
Icon Credit: Raven Song :3
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

northernicebear wrote:*walks in and backs out of thread slowly*
For the longest time, Sakul would "eat" all of the newcomers.

Expect me, for some reason, he just shot me.
northernicebear
Species: Journalist Shirokuma

Post by northernicebear »

Sev wrote:
northernicebear wrote:*walks in and backs out of thread slowly*
For the longest time, Sakul would "eat" all of the newcomers.

Expect me, for some reason, he just shot me.
Who?
"Sans café, sans vie" (Without coffee, without life) My Grandma Chloë
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Coming Soon to Cape Town ^^ (2017 Year~????)
Icon Credit: Raven Song :3
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

northernicebear wrote:Who?
Fido's old name was Sakul if I remember right
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

I vote for Raven's rugby jersey!

Edit:
Medium please.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

In all seriousness though, I think ZAFur branded merch would be pretty awesome. Stuff like lanyards, keychains, pens, mugs, the usual promotional goodies.
LionofRome
Species: Lion

Post by LionofRome »

Purple with white lettering would look awesome. Purple is a more passionate color in my opinion hehe. It would look awesome on scarves, bandannas or armbands.
Live your Life fully,
For if fear is to be your master,
your Life shall be veiled in shadows
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Those sound like wonderful ideas, Leeward. :) The most practical application would be during next year's convention.
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Leeward wrote:In all seriousness though, I think ZAFur branded merch would be pretty awesome. Stuff like lanyards, keychains, pens, mugs, the usual promotional goodies.
I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea!
Just I fear we aren't really a big enough group for custom merchandise to have any affect. I mean, I already feel very involved and interlinked with our group, so would I really want a ZAFur mug to show it? Most probably not. But this is just me :P

Oh and also
Great Leader Ryall wrote: No, I was thinking more of a final solution to the husky question. We can throw snow leopards and anime characters in there for good measure too! They don't belong in our furry master fandom.

P.S. I foresee lots of job opportunities for fire-breathing dragons whose flames can reach oven-like temperatures in the near future.
Watch it, buddy. Just because we have more fun than you, doesn't mean you have to get all salty and genocidal over it :P
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

In all seriousness though, I think ZAFur branded merch would be pretty awesome. Stuff like lanyards, keychains, pens, mugs, the usual promotional goodies.
Actually, promotional items like lanyards and key chains would make nice souvenirs for a big convention, if we have one. It's not the same as what the OP was suggesting - a uniform or something like that - but it is close enough. :)
Max wrote:Watch it, buddy. Just because we have more fun than you, doesn't mean you have to get all salty and genocidal over it :P

Dear Neon,

Please down a bottle of bleach.

xoxo,

Ryall

P.S: I'm not your buddy, guy.
Hahaha! :lol:
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

I would say; "Oh deer!", if the merchandise I am planning wasn't equally as weird as this conversation.