(Market research)What are you willing to pay for a fursuit

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

[READ TEXT FIRST] In what range are you willing to spend on a partial suit

4000+
16%
5000+
31%
6000+
19%
7000+
6%
8000+
28%

Total votes: 32
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Re: (Market research)What are you willing to pay for a fursuit

Post by Contrast »

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a fursuit out of human hair? Should be way cheaper. I know you can make sweaters and stuff out of it.

Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

Contrast wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a fursuit out of human hair? Should be way cheaper. I know you can make sweaters and stuff out of it.

:shock:
Eewwwwwwwwww!!!! Eeewww! Eeewwweeewwweeewweeww!!!! :(
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That must be itchy as fuck.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

For the inner Hannibal Lecter in you.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Friend of mine, who's a suiter in America, linked me to THIS
List of a lot of suit makers in America and their round about prices...
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

Contrast wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a fursuit out of human hair? Should be way cheaper. I know you can make sweaters and stuff out of it.

Wtf? :?
The undergarments are a little.. weird.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Is it made in China?
northernicebear
Species: Journalist Shirokuma
Region: Other

Post by northernicebear »

I can express in a single post how much this makes me want to vomit.

Somewhat back on topic, how much I would pay for one?

NB: All of this is conjecture, not based off of facts, this is my assumptions and approximate calculations. This is for a partial suit in my area.

8.75 (roughly 137 ZAR) is the standard minimum wage in my US State
For maths sake, let's say it takes 50 hours to make

Total Labour Cost: $637.50 (before tax) [9928.39 ZAR]

Now, let's say the fabrics and raw materials cost $750 [11,680.46 ZAR](I know a few fabric stores that would make that cheaper, but this is the average amount in my area)

Total Cost so far: $1,387.50 [21608.86 ZAR]

Factoring in 60% markup for the suitmaker, possibly unnecessary

Total is $38,895.95

I'd say a partial above US$50,000 better be hewn of unicorn blood or something

Edit:
Now, I've never seen something above $10,000 that isn't super souped up or riced as fuck.
"Sans café, sans vie" (Without coffee, without life) My Grandma Chloë
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Coming Soon to Cape Town ^^ (2017 Year~????)
Icon Credit: Raven Song :3
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Thank you northernicebear for bringing it into perspective.
Yes that is a big issue is the labor and the cost. As an accounting student and prospective RA or CA my time is going to be worth allot someday. (Also if I'm going with CIMA I might be moving to England for work)

For the reasonable foreseeable future I have worked what an estimate of my time per hour would be worth and I feel it's only fair to me as the maker to be rewarded for the time I spend making these suits for others.

No I'm not being money hungry but a low return on a suit is definitely not incentive enough for me to even try taking commissions in the future. I have roughly worked out what a partial would cost me and what I need to charge to get a decent return on that partial after expenses. Most of you are going to think I'm crazy with my prices but it's fine go buy the materials, go put in the time and you'll see I'm really not that crazy. Especially considering fur has to be imported now and is double the price it used to be since you have to pay import duties and import insurance. Looking at around $60 per yard, which isn't even a meter (10cm shorter. $60*0.10=$6, $6*15.54=R93.24)
Almost R100 less fur. That adds up, do the math.

So realistically no, R4000 is not expensive for a fursuit actually it's damned cheap almost free considering the amount of time and effort and materials going into the suit. I cannot charge anything under R6000 for partial since anything under R6k is technically a loss and not worth my time. I'm looking for alternatives as much as I can get the time to do so but the South African market and exchange rate being what it is, not very likely to find alternatives.

Some of the adept fursuit makers overseas charges $500 just for a head which with the current exchange rates equals R7772.50 so there's that and people say that is cheap for a head.
So no I don't think fursuit prices are ridiculous at all, some people make a living from the suits and your return on the suit isn't that high. Fursuits are a luxury not a necessity no one forces you to buy a fursuit.

Rough estimate of what it would cost for a Fullsuit with digi legs and 2 colors R15k-R20k base price then return isn't even high. Still cheaper than what you're gonna pay for one overseas and have it shipped in.

Just some information from my view point, before you go making allegations that fursuits are too expensive and makers are money hungry.

ALSO:
Thanks to all of you who answered the poll, it makes it easier to see the willingness of the market in our community for fursuits. This research is with good reason, to give the furs in SA the most bang for their buck for their willingness to pay.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Contrast wtf r u doin wrote: (Pretty nasty image)

Aaaah!
AAAAAhhhh!!
Ah!
This makes me feel very very uncomfortable D:
Human hair underwear? Underhair? Do you have to wash and shampoo it too?
Can you shower with it on? Then hairdry it afterwards? What if it magically merges with your hair down there? Oh the horror!
northernicebear

YoteFox wrote:Thank you northernicebear for bringing it into perspective.
Yes that is a big issue is the labor and the cost. As an accounting student and prospective RA or CA my time is going to be worth allot someday. (Also if I'm going with CIMA I might be moving to England for work)

For the reasonable foreseeable future I have worked what an estimate of my time per hour would be worth and I feel it's only fair to me as the maker to be rewarded for the time I spend making these suits for others.

No I'm not being money hungry but a low return on a suit is definitely not incentive enough for me to even try taking commissions in the future. I have roughly worked out what a partial would cost me and what I need to charge to get a decent return on that partial after expenses. Most of you are going to think I'm crazy with my prices but it's fine go buy the materials, go put in the time and you'll see I'm really not that crazy. Especially considering fur has to be imported now and is double the price it used to be since you have to pay import duties and import insurance. Looking at around $60 per yard, which isn't even a meter (10cm shorter. $60*0.10=$6, $6*15.54=R93.24)
Almost R100 less fur. That adds up, do the math.

So realistically no, R4000 is not expensive for a fursuit actually it's damned cheap almost free considering the amount of time and effort and materials going into the suit. I cannot charge anything under R6000 for partial since anything under R6k is technically a loss and not worth my time. I'm looking for alternatives as much as I can get the time to do so but the South African market and exchange rate being what it is, not very likely to find alternatives.

Some of the adept fursuit makers overseas charges $500 just for a head which with the current exchange rates equals R7772.50 so there's that and people say that is cheap for a head.
So no I don't think fursuit prices are ridiculous at all, some people make a living from the suits and your return on the suit isn't that high. Fursuits are a luxury not a necessity no one forces you to buy a fursuit.

Rough estimate of what it would cost for a Fullsuit with digi legs and 2 colors R15k-R20k base price then return isn't even high. Still cheaper than what you're gonna pay for one overseas and have it shipped in.

Just some information from my view point, before you go making allegations that fursuits are too expensive and makers are money hungry.

ALSO:
Thanks to all of you who answered the poll, it makes it easier to see the willingness of the market in our community for fursuits. This research is with good reason, to give the furs in SA the most bang for their buck for their willingness to pay.
labour costs are huge here, especially with the new suitmakers, since they're usually students. so their labour costs tend to be higher than those who are professional or semi-pro
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

That is exactly the same boat I am sitting in, I'm a full time student. I've worked it out that my hours can work out somewhere to R200 per hour. But I won't charge anything like that.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
northernicebear

YoteFox wrote:That is exactly the same boat I am sitting in, I'm a full time student. I've worked it out that my hours can work out somewhere to R200 per hour. But I won't charge anything like that.
as an american R200 is like a cheap meal here, so that being expensive..... ಠ_ಠ
Havoc Nightpaw
Species: Fox

Post by Havoc Nightpaw »

I would pay 6k+ if i could. But ungortunatlly i dont earn enough yet plus having a baby is expensive hehe. So I want buy piece by piece. Like head, then gloves eventually, then tail etc... would such a thing be an option?
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Havoc Nightpaw wrote:I would pay 6k+ if i could. But ungortunatlly i dont earn enough yet plus having a baby is expensive hehe. So I want buy piece by piece. Like head, then gloves eventually, then tail etc... would such a thing be an option?
1 welcome to the forum, (you should probably introduce yourself properly on the Introductions thread).
2 well you can buy a partial suit of the head, hands, paws and tails. Not so much buying them all separate. Maybe you van talk to a maker and pay for a partial suit over the period of a few months.
3 wait for help from some one who knows what they are doing. :)
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Hiya Havoc! Welcome to the forum!

I know what you mean about the piece-by-piece. Costume parts are expensive & an absolute luxury, but I feel like a kid in a toy store saving up for a bike. The possibility is so enticingly close but preeeeetty hard to realise. We're very far away from US/European markets so we have to worry about things getting lost in the mail and/or (HORROR) import tax when our items do arrive.

If you are a bit clever with your hands, I'd suggest having a go at building yourself. The constituent parts (foam & hotglue) are relatively easy to come by and inexpensive enough to experiment with. It is a steep learning curve though! The actual fur is more difficult & pricey to obtain, so I would suggest a mentor in this regard to help you through. Even if it doesn't turn out perfect, it will be something you created & a representation of your character.

It should tide you over until you can afford a more pro version from Yote or one of the other talented builders! ;)
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Buying it piece by piece may be an option but just remember it would work out somewhat expensive. Personally I have worked out that I can charge less for more commissions from one person. Per say you commission me for handpaws and sleeves. It would work me out cheaper to make both in one go than it would to make them separately. However if you can guarantee me you would be commissioning the rest from me if you do it piece by piece then I would probably be able to charge you the same price. I think this would go for any fursuit maker really.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

SilverFox12578
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Grey Fox

Post by SilverFox12578 »

I'm kinda broke right now but if I had the money I'd go up to 6000 or 7000. :)
-Be Crazy
-Be Weird
-Be Awesome
-Be Yourself :)

Telegram: @Silverfox12578. YouTube: SilverFox. Deviantart: Silverfox12578.
Ventus Fall
Species: Fur Dragon

Post by Ventus Fall »

Is this poll in Rand?
I don;t see a currency anywhere, hence the question ^^;
You can also find me on:
deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Ventus Fall wrote:Is this poll in Rand?
I don;t see a currency anywhere, hence the question ^^;
This was indeed in ZAR
Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

Valerion wrote: This was indeed in ZAR
Alright, thanks for the quick reply :)

I also just realised this topic is a few months old, is that why you say 'was', by chance?
You can also find me on:
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Ventus Fall wrote:
Valerion wrote: This was indeed in ZAR
Alright, thanks for the quick reply :)

I also just realised this topic is a few months old, is that why you say 'was', by chance?
Was/Is, same thing, right? ;)

The prices may differ with the recent volatility in the exchange rate, so the OP will have to say what will happen.
Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

Valerion wrote: Was/Is, same thing, right? ;)

The prices may differ with the recent volatility in the exchange rate, so the OP will have to say what will happen.
Well, one indicates past tense, and one present. I wasn't sure indeed if you meant it in a certain way, but either way, it's clear now, thanks for the explanation ^_^
Ah yes, that makes sense with regards to the change of exchange rate. Still, I suppose I can answer with the current exchange rate in mind x3
You can also find me on:
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

The exchange rate has really screwed around and the prices have unfortunately sky rocketed. Plus the availability of fur is becoming increasingly intensive in respect to finding the right colors. However these prices are subjective. Each suit has different prices and varying levels of complexity.

Knowing what I do now, these prices are fookin cheap.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

YoteFox wrote:The exchange rate has really screwed around and the prices have unfortunately sky rocketed. Plus the availability of fur is becoming increasingly intensive in respect to finding the right colors. However these prices are subjective. Each suit has different prices and varying levels of complexity.

Yeah, I've heard that the Rand tends to sometimes be all over the place? ^^;
And no worries, I understood that was the case with regards to fur. It's a shame, but understandable.

Well there are some fursuit makers in the continent I live in, who do aboutso the same price (when calculating the current exchange rate, that is).
In any case, it is a really nice price(s) you are looking for, and to be fair... you have quite a nice and unique style ;)
You can also find me on:
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Ventus Fall wrote:
YoteFox wrote:The exchange rate has really screwed around and the prices have unfortunately sky rocketed. Plus the availability of fur is becoming increasingly intensive in respect to finding the right colors. However these prices are subjective. Each suit has different prices and varying levels of complexity.

Yeah, I've heard that the Rand tends to sometimes be all over the place? ^^;
And no worries, I understood that was the case with regards to fur. It's a shame, but understandable.

Well there are some fursuit makers in the continent I live in, who do aboutso the same price (when calculating the current exchange rate, that is).
In any case, it is a really nice price(s) you are looking for, and to be fair... you have quite a nice and unique style ;)
Thank you! You have made my night!
I had a chat with my fur supplier the other day, seems china is killing us with fur. The main reason fur was ever made in SA was because of the toys like teddies etc. Since importing such toys are now cheaper than making, all the "fur mills" have shut down in SA. It's quite a pity, but we'll survive somehow ^.^
If the demand for fursuits rise over time the supply will too. It's basic economics lol.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote