I really need a head...

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

frostythehorse
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: horse
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

I really need a head...

Post by frostythehorse »

If anybody knows where I could get a fursuit head with a hinged jaw and follow me eyes? I haven't had a fursuit before, and I'd love to somehow get a head mask for a start. My fursona is a horse, and he has all natural colours. Please let me know! I do only have limited funds, I'm only 14 after all....
-------------------
F*R*O*S*T*Y. :D
-------------------
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: I really need a head...

Post by Franky »

Sorry bro but:

Or you could make one yourself.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You have two options:
Commission somebody to make it for you (very expensive, even for adults), or
Learn how to make it yourself.

I recommend the latter, it's lots of fun, it's creative, and you get some pretty epic bragging rights.
KinkInZA
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Liger

Post by KinkInZA »

watch a lot of you tube vids on how to make one and it still looks like it will be expensive just to get all the materials needed even if you do it yourself.
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
T.E. Lawrence
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Depends where you look. It's also easier than you'd think to make do with scrap materials, and this I know from experience. Regardless, the Internet is indeed full of resources, guides, tutorials, etc. to get you started.

For a horse head, I'd recommend either mouth or neck vision, because tear duct mesh will look weird unless the coat is very dark. Either that or go for a toony look, where you can get away with huge eyes that are closer together than on a real horse.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

I made it myself, follow me eyes and moveable jaw. It's really not that hard. It comes down to crafting skill and MONEY! My head that I made myself is probably at the R1500 mark so far with the fans and batteries and stuff in it.

Fur is expensive and scarce. I drove around for 2 weeks comparing prices before I started buying.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

YoteFox wrote:R1500
Really? If I include everything I have spent and still plan to spend on my head, I only come up to about R600. Granted I used scrap foam and I'm not going to put in any fans, but my head is fairly elaborate and I still have a ton of leftover materials.

But yes, if you're going to build it yourself, you need to be good with your hands, and have a budget of a few thousand bucks. Not nearly as much as for getting one made though, and you get to make all the design decisions, say you made it, and learn a few useful skills along the way.

All that being said, I'd be happy to provide you with tips and such. I won't offer to make it since I haven't even finished my own yet, but once it's done I'll be open to it.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Leeward wrote:Really?
Yes everything I used on the head was store bought and I'm not one to spare on expenses. Only thing I had to begin with was the glue gun.
There might be cheaper ways to do it, but cheaper means poor quality and I hate poor quality goods.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

YoteFox wrote:There might be cheaper ways to do it, but cheaper means poor quality
As a general rule of thumb yes, but not necessarily.