Custom-made anthro legs / digitigrade stilts

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Custom-made anthro legs / digitigrade stilts

Post by Leeward »

I build these from scratch with 100% scrap material.
Top view
Top view
Side view
Side view
The main planks are 500 x 100 x 20 mm, these and the wedges are from a shipping crate. I had to remove some nails before using them. I cut them to size (and angle) by hand.

The wedges are secured to the planks with 5 wood screws, 3 from the top down and 2 from the bottom up.

All the webbing is from an old tow-rope.

The loop that protrudes from the back end passes through a slot in the wood that was carved out with a router. It is secured to the wood on the bottom with a bolt that clamps a rectangular aluminium "washer" (which I cut and drilled myself) against it.
Underside - clamp
Underside - clamp
The four rectangular loops were bent by hand, the rods came from a broken set of clock chimes. I sewed the loops that hold them in place myself.
Close-up of loops
Close-up of loops
Here is the final result:
Side view with shoe strapped in for scale and placement
Side view with shoe strapped in for scale and placement
Please let me know what you think. :D

EDIT: before anyone asks, yes I have tested them (I might need a staff at first to learn to walk confidently with them) and yes I have taken pics of me testing them (they might pop up on the mugshot thread).
Dredge
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Rabbit
Region: Gauteng

Re: Custom-made anthro legs / digitigrade stilts

Post by Dredge »

Aaaawww no way! :o

Is it stable? Or has your face found the floor? :P

/Jkes
You're not Helios xD

I might have missed the answer, but is this a prototype that will you be modifying as it goes? Or mainly use it for party tricks ;)

Regardless, very cool :)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

They are stable, they are just very demanding on the calves to walk with (hence the staff) and require very tight fastening which can make your feet go numb after a while. I've stumbled with them once or twice but not hurt myself (yet). If you walk with them flat on the floor it's only slightly harder than walking with scuba fins.

They are a first prototype but I won't make a second pair, rather modify these. I don't think I'll modify them much structurally though. I'm planning to make papier maché cow hooves which I'll attach to a loosely pivoted segment at the front (for a more natural-looking gait), and cover them with fur after I've defined the shape better with some sanding and padding. After that I'll make "pants" and a tail to go with it, and carry on from there towards a full fursuit. I already have a schematic for a head and outlines for a tail and two-fingered gloves (i.e. hand doing the Vulcan salute inside the glove) with little hooves on the ends.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

This thread is worthless without a video demonstration!!!!!

Awesome work, by the way, Cowgirl.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

I admire your dedication. The most complex thing I've ever tried to build was a papier maché mask that ended up exploding fungus from the eye holes (no joke).
I salute you! :D
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thanks guys. :D It's nice to see that my hard work is appreciated. I had to learn to use a few tools to complete this all myself. I had some help but only demonstrations.

I might make a video sometime but I need to find a long stick to help myself walk first because at this point I can stand and take a few steps but that's it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Wow, the changes I've made make them sooooo much easier to walk with, I don't even really need the walking stick any more :D (although I might still make a labrys just for show). Will film and post soon. :P
Dredge
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Rabbit
Region: Gauteng

Post by Dredge »

Noice! That's great to hear :)

I was worried that the strength and effort needed to use them might not be worth it ;)

Looking forward to the vid! :)

Also YES, definitely make a labrys, it will be an awesome and fitting prop ;)