Fursuit materials

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Fursuit materials

Post by YoteFox »

So me and Tyger Nighteye went out today searching for materials to make fursuits from. We basically have no idea where to get anything so we just traveled from art shop to art shop and also checked hardware stores for something to make the head's skeletal structure from. Tyger checked on youtube how to make a head and he found that they used mesh of some sort. Please infrom me if you know where I could possibly get some materials.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Fursuit materials

Post by Leeward »

Try bulk styrofoam or mattress stuffing? For the fur, try textile factory shops.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

We thought about Styrofoam, but it doesn't really last long. We were thinking of going to a factory outlet specializing in curtains and stuff think its a textile outlet(Chamdor) not sure if you would know the place, seeing as you from CT. Thanx for the reply. As for the skeletal structure I am sure we would find something that can hold its shape in the long run
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Aren't fursuit heads usually made out of foam?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I have heard about people making them out of foam, and it is the most washable of all materials, but getting a moving jaw with the foam is pretty tricky. So we decided to try and make a head with a skeletal structure that has a moving jaw
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

CourteousCastellan
Region: Gauteng

Post by CourteousCastellan »

You might be interested in these.
She uses foam, though. Upholstery foam in particular.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Thanks for the link CourteousCastellan :D
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Scratch
Species: Blue Wolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Scratch »

Take a look at http://fursuitsupplies.com/
I ordered some swatches from there, and they're willing to ship here. So that's worth taking note. They should arrive in about a month or so.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

So to update on my hunt for materials, I have bought plastic mesh type stuff that is used to keep leaves out of gutters for the skeletal structure of the head. I have also bought a some fur of each of my sona's colors at R230 per meter, a bit expensive but I drove 40Km for it so I couldn't return empty handed. I found my fur at a shop in the Oriental Plaza in JHB the shop's name is Fancy Fur and materials or something like that very helpful and nice people. I will be buying the foam from a factory outlet in the Chamdor area and will soon begin sculpting the head and making patterns for the fur.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Rex the Unrelenting
Species: Dragon
Region: Gauteng

Post by Rex the Unrelenting »

Looking forward to seeing the end result
If you don't believe in something, you'll fall for anything