Makin' my own fursuit, dirt cheap.

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

Aeowyn
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Percheron
Region: Gauteng

Makin' my own fursuit, dirt cheap.

Post by Aeowyn »

HI THERE

I've recently started making my first fursuit, and it looks great already! My method is deceptively simple, and so far the results are worth every stitch. I'll share the basic construction method with you:

You'll need:
long zip for the back
stretchy material (or) a snug-fitting bodysuit
Medium density upholstery foam (about 4cm thick, and 50cm x 4m, your measurements may vary)
thin packaging foam (The kind of stuff they usually pack computer components in, at least as much as the foam)
your choice of teddy bear fur, velvet, etc, enough to cover yourself. (I got 5 meters to be absolutely safe)
some elastic strips (The type used in pants waists)
Good Scissors
a craft knife with a long blade
a felt tip pen / permanent marker
a thick needle that can fit 2ply wool through the eye
a thin needle for cotton
at least 1 ball of wool
appropriately coloured cotton

1. you need a bodysuit of some stretchy material (Like the stuff they make wife-beaters from) It should be snug but not tight. I was lucky enough to get my material in tube form, ideal for easy conversion to clothing.
2. Upholstery foam. measure yourself out and draw your design onto the foam with a felt-tip pen of any kind. I started with the front of the torso, then the back separately, the sides and next is the legs (I'll update how it goes)
3. Use the craft knife to carve the foam out. Try to avoid pinching it as you slice, you get horrible holes that way. I find the best way for smooth shapes is to lightly cut the outline of the piece I want to remove (At the right angle), then grab a loose flap, pull it out to expose the area to be cut, and slowly run the blade between the 2 grooves thus revealed. this gives a smooth cut without too much jaggedness. Be sure to leave it a bit large at this stage. If your muscles look rough once this is done, don't worry, that's what the packaging foam is for. The back should have a raised spine ridge, and be cut straight down the middle to just above where you want to attach the tail (For the zip).
4. Use wool to secure the carved foam pieces to the bodysuit. Don't worry about making it immovable, you'll be securing it better next. Just so long as they don't slip around or fall off.
5. Try it on and see what doesn't look or feel right, then shave off more foam where needed. This is also a good time to attach pieces of the elastic around for instance the waist, where it won't fit snug once the foam is on.
6. once again using wool, attach the packaging foam by threading it through all 3 existing layers. You should do this in the grooves between the muscles, and pull it tight (BEWARE: THE PACKAGING FOAM TEARS EASILY! Use your fingers to squish the lot down as thin as possible when you pull the wool tight, as this preserves the packaging foam and gives the muscles good definition. This step will also thin the structure out a bit.
7. I have yet to get here, but I know it'll work awesomely. Attach the fur with cotton by threading it through the muscle grooves, just hooking the fur and then going back. Don't pull it as tight as you did with the wool (This removes the sharp edges but still gives you the definition and a bit of play.

I'll add to this when I get there, but basically all that should be left is the head, which other people are far more qualified to provide guidance on than I. :D
I'm all that's left of a BIZARRE childhood
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Re: Makin' my own fursuit, dirt cheap.

Post by Splicer-Fox »

You must add some photos for us ^_^

oh and Hi
i believe you are new?
Aeowyn
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Percheron

Re: Makin' my own fursuit, dirt cheap.

Post by Aeowyn »

Hi! yes I am and yes I will once it's a bit further along...

For those who didn't guess, btw, the foam and etc create a great muscular effect. NO POTATO SACK FOR ME!!! :twisted:
I'm all that's left of a BIZARRE childhood