Question time

For all types of visual art. Digital, traditional or photography. We want to see it.
Darkeraven
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Skunk
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Question time

Post by Darkeraven »

For a while now I have had this question which needs answering.

I used to do decorative sand blasting on glass and mirror. Being a furry fan I started to experiment in doing anthro images on mirrors. I managed to develop a technique where I could take a low quality coloured image and produce a stencile which got transferred to a mirror and then blasted.

The images turned out great. I even went as far as doing 3D effects (Where you sandblast on the front and rear of a mirror).

Now, here is where the question comes into effect. The main images I used to experiment with were not my own, nor did I have permission to use them. At the time I didn't think I would beable to do very good etchings and that the trial would end in disaster. Also I was planning on destroying the mirrors because i figured out they would be terrible. Thing is they were not and now I have 5 mirrors which have various images etched into them. I want to show furs what I can do, mabey even get a commission or two from it, but If you were said artists who's images I used....would you be pissed off or understanding?

I took Photos of the mirrors with the intent of showing the artists, but I never did due to some incident in the farndom a couple of years ago which had artists up in arms.

So should I take a chance and sent the photos to the artists or do i keep quiet and keep the mirrors in the back of the cupboard???
Stormwolf
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: stormwolf
Region: Western Cape

Re: Question time

Post by Stormwolf »

Maybe start over? Ask for permission to use images, then blast them?
~ It is good for the soul to see the sun. ~
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Post by anoyomouse »

Depends on the artist, you can send them pics and say i used them, but if youo want i'll destroy the image.

Most artists (save a few) don't mind, as long as they know and they are given credit for drawing said image.

if you do it now tho, i'd ask the artists first, especially since you can make money off this, they'd prolly want a share, or at least a mirror with their art on it.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I'd say if you used them as a present then the artist would probably be okay with it but if you sell them that's a completely different thing. You can't use their work like that without permission.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Darkeraven
Species: Skunk
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Darkeraven »

but if you sell them that's a completely different thing. You can't use their work like that without permission.
I have no intention to sell the 5 mirrors. I did want to send them to each artist as a gift, but the shipping costs are massive so it is out of the quetion.