Artist Beware: Electrocat

For all types of visual art. Digital, traditional or photography. We want to see it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Artist Beware: Electrocat

Post by Leeward »

Originally posted on DA, but I thought it might reach a more relevant audience here.

This is on the subject of the artist Electrocat, also known as EC Muffinbakin' Tiger, and Electropaw Artworks.

Let me preface this by saying that I have nothing against Electrocat as a person. He is a kind, good man with strong values who takes pride in his work and I respect him for that. That said, his pride is a central theme of this warning, which I am very sad to write. I've tried to be a good friend to EC, and it is in that capacity that I hope to make him see that his current path is not sustainable. Everything below is true, and I have proof available on request.

My relationship with EC started in June 2016 when I commissioned my first ever piece of art from him. I chose him because we live in the same country and I wanted to support a local entrepreneur. The piece I commissioned being my first, it was of course a reference sheet, which according to his methodology has 2 phases: a temporary/trial version, to see if you like your character, and a final version, done in two sessions. I received a quote and paid within 5 days, and the temp version was done 10 days after that. At that point things started going downhill: we struggled to schedule the first session for the final version due to my working full-time and EC being adamant on live-streaming with clients (which I find unnecessary but be that as it may). If memory serves me correctly, the first session of the final version was completed sometime in August 2016. I received the finished product in March 2018.

In the 19 months between the two, I've been involved in several collaborative projects with EC and others, and assisted EC multiple times with emergency fundraising (both by signal boosting and contributing myself). I've been used as an impromptu therapist, guilt-tripped, called names, blocked, bribed with gift art I didn't want or ask for (while things I actually did request went ignored), and asked for thinly-veiled donations in the form of orders that would never be fulfilled. In the end I traded in all my commissions for an equal-value amount of easily-churned-out Telegram stickers because I knew EC would never get around to doing it otherwise. I have not commissioned him since, nor will I ever again.

In June 2018 I started getting actively involved in assisting EC in a more practical sense, because it was already obvious that no amount of money could solve his problems in the long run. I became EC's all-in-one manager (PA, PRO, secretary, administrator, webmaster, and more) so that he would have basically nothing to do other than pick a task, and do it.

He had no record of his commissions whatsoever apart from trawling through emails and Telegram conversations, but luckily I was able to work off of a Google Calendar spanning about a year's worth of scheduled sessions to create a Trello board he could use to pick tasks without having to read through endless complaints and requests for updates. Even so, despite it having over a hundred backlog items (some of which were over 3 years old), it was far from exhaustive, and I constantly had to add things EC randomly remembered or was reminded of. Furthermore, EC was so overwhelmed by the enormous amount of work he had signed up for that at first he couldn't even look at the board without having a panic attack.

At some point the registration of his Electropaw Artworks domain lapsed (the hosting had previously lapsed as well), and so somebody else took over the registration and hosting and re-created a rudimentary skeleton version of the website EC had in the past. There were plans to create more content, but that didn't happen so I took it upon myself to request access to the CMS and create the new site myself, order form and all, which I also managed (i.e. replies, confirming payments, adding to the board).

Since taking this up, I've been contacted by dozens of EC's clients asking about their commissions. Some came to me directly, some used the website, some followed links in EC's journals, and some were referred to me by EC himself because he couldn't deal with the "negative vibes". All of them had the same story: they had commissions outstanding and rightfully wanted what they paid for, but when asked about it or confronted, EC would either ignore, berate, or block them. Total lack of professionalism notwithstanding, some of them were understanding and were willing to wait as long as it took, while others simply wanted refunds. The problem was, neither of those categories could be satisfied, because EC is both woefully underperforming and perpetually broke. This is an extremely difficult cycle to break out of, especially when you give new work priority over older work instead of having a waiting list.

The problem is multifaceted. EC's prices are extremely low, which makes it just about impossible to fit a day's worth of living expenses into a day's worth of work, meaning he's effectively working at a loss, which no amount of overworking oneself can humanly compensate for. I've told him this, and he still stubbornly refuses to change his prices out of fear of losing customers. I've also explained that the amount of extra money from the increase would more than compensate for any lost customers, but that fell on deaf ears as well. If I had to estimate, I'd say that he delivers roughly 20% of the work he gets paid for, which is totally unacceptable as a business practice and is in actual fact theft, plain and simple. He also routinely gets handouts from friends who don't know better than to enable his self-destructive behaviour.

In July 2018 I quit my job, which much to EC's dismay meant I could no longer assist him by acting as an emergency bank to quickly convert US Dollars on PayPal to our currency in his hand. Frankly I was relieved, because it involved a crazy amount of banking fees on which we both lost out. In August 2018 I helped him compile a personal budget spreadsheet, and it all too clearly illustrated that he has no idea what his cost of living was (or should be), and was nowhere close to earning enough to sustain it. In October 2018 I found a new job, and decided that I could no longer handle the responsibility of what essentially amounted to a part-time job managing a semi-functional adult.

The bottom line is, EC is a good artist, but terrible at being self-employed. He has no idea how to run a business or handle money, has appalling people skills, and mental health issues that severely hamper his ability to self-motivate. This, sadly, means that he should not be a full-time artist. He should have a day job to pay the bills, and do art on the side, if at all.

If EC is ever inclined to restore his reputation as an artist, he should dedicate himself to eliminating his backlog. No new commissions, just backlog. Only once it is finished should he ever reconsider becoming a full-time artist again. I mean this with the best of intentions for all involved.

I truly hoped it would never come to this, and I did everything I could to help him become independent and successful, short of doing the art myself. I hate to kick someone when they're down, but I hope that EC can see this as a lesson: sooner or later, reality always catches up to you. I'm just sorry I couldn't stop him from letting himself down for the millionth time, although to be fair I never really had a chance.
noah-lausberg

Re: Artist Beware: Electrocat

Post by noah-lausberg »

If he needs help with mental health issues I can possibly help if need be. I know it's not a lot but it's something.

P.S. Username is changed so find me at light_dagger
Healer the heals, refusing to be healed
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing
Region: Gauteng

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Electrocat is a dude?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

It's a really sad situation but I think it actually goes back much further than that. I had commissioned Electrocat and sent money sometime in 2009/2010. I can't recall the circumstances but the commission got cancelled and I was supposed to be refunded. The first attempt to transfer the money failed because of problems on my end. After that, I had to keep asking and asking but there were no more attempts to send the money; just promises, delays and excuses. In the end, Nanukk actually refunded me everything Electrocat owed as I think he was the one fixing all Electrocat's problems back then.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

There's always someone fixing all Electrocat's problems. It's a recurring theme with people like him: people who try to turn a passion into a livelihood but have zero business sense, yet are charismatic enough to always have someone who will bail them out when they inevitably get into financial trouble for the millionth time. I would know, my father is also one of them. Thank goodness he's been forced into retirement now.
Splicer-Fox wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:07 pm Electrocat is a dude?
Electrocat is a transgender man, yes. He came out around January I think.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Doesn't this thread violate the forum's code of conduct?
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Franky wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 am Doesn't this thread violate the forum's code of conduct?
I don't see it breaking any rules.
Da Rulez wrote:We do not condone personal attacks and insults directed at other users or of people outside of the forum. If this occurs often or demonstrates a pattern of attacks against one or more users action will be taken.
This is not a personal attack. Neither any kind of attack, neither is it an insult.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I believe Franky is more likely referring to the line below that one.
Please do not bring external drama to the forum. We are accepting of people needing an area to vent their frustrations but ask that you refrain from naming people or organisations. This obviously does not apply when discussing people or actions that can be considered public. E.g. Presidents, CEOs, actors and such are clearly public figures. Open letters, statements, articles and such are also public. Your interactions with a furry artist are not public and this is not the place to name and shame, particularly when people can not respond to allegations against them.
I also was thinking about that for a while, which is why I didn't reply here until a few days later. I do think it's a borderline case but at least personally I decided to lean to letting it stay though if Ivic or Valerion feels differently, I would not object.
I don't consider it a personal attack but a criticism of Electrocat's business practices. Due to my own personal experiences, I do not doubt the truth of what Leeward is saying. With nearly 7000 watchers, Electrocat is also probably one of the biggest South African artists and someone many here might go to for commissions. While interactions with an artist are not really something everyone else needs to know, if there is a bigger pattern then that is perhaps something which is of wider relevance. Given that this thread is about the risk of losing money, there is a clear public interest to the message. While there is certainly an external aspect to this, though I wouldn't quite call it drama at this point, it has directly affected several forum members and Electrocat is a member of both the South African furry fandom and this forum. Following the last point, Electrocat has been a member of the forum for around 10 years and has at least logged on this year, so is in principle able to respond to this thread.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I posted here primarily with the intention of warning any would-be customers against commissioning someone who is very likely to simply take your money, not to defile EC's reputation; he already did that to himself.

It's a matter of public interest, not personal. Which I already said right at the top of the OP.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Beyond this, and probably more within the way I'd read it, there's acknowledgment of his art and the general quality, it comes across as an intervening step and overall (maybe this is just me) brings the point of hope for turning around. It doesn't slam him in any way, it allows for open perspective and comes from someone who experienced and helped where they could.

It's a good point to be made and doesn't so much attack his character as it allows us to be objective in our assessments. It gives insight and shows issues that exacerbate other problems in a way that allows us to both understand positions and also come up with solutions.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thank you for reading it the way I wrote it. :P