Drawing with a mouse!

For all types of visual art. Digital, traditional or photography. We want to see it.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Drawing with a mouse!

Post by Ryall »

Hello furries, so I decided to make a post about drawing with a mouse in light of the perception I have noticed, that in order to do digital art, one needs a drawing tablet. All one actually needs is a lot of patience and some decent software.

Now it is not as fun or glamorous as working with a drawing tablet, and you're not going to get that nice organic look that tablets can give; but not everyone can afford a tablet, or they just don't draw enough to warrant the purchase of one. While it is possible to purchase some pretty cheap drawing tablets, you get what you pay for.

Why would you want to draw with a mouse? You can produce some really neat, clean, colorful pieces of work that you just cannot do with traditional media unless you're a pro. It looks great, and it's easy to modify whether you don't like the way a character's foot turned out, or you want to add accessories or change its colour pallet.

So, here's a piece of work that I did about six years ago. It may not look like much (frankly it would be polite to call it 'mediocre'), but it is a proof of concept. I know the perspective is off (the left side of the robot looks larger than the right side even though the right should be closer) amongst other issues, but that's not a problem with the mouse.
Mouse drawn generic fighting machine
Mouse drawn generic fighting machine
It was only my second attempt at digital art, and I was incredibly impatient with learning how to use the software, as well as doing the actual drawing. I felt like playing around with the colours, so I did so instantly.
The 5th pallet swap I tried.
The 5th pallet swap I tried.
Now I can imagine some of you saying, "but Ryall, that looks like rubbish: why would I want to waste my time learning to draw art like that?" Well like I said, I rushed it, I didn't know how to use the software properly, and it was pretty much my first attempt at drawing with a mouse. With a bit more practice and knowledge, here's a piece that was drawn with a mouse that you can really aspire to:
I imagine there are even better artworks drawn with a mouse with this, but this was one of the first results that popped up in Google.

So the question remains, how does one draw with a mouse? Well, I used Photoshop's pen tool, and basically just created tons of coloured overlapping vectors (shapes), and I just modified the shapes with one or two other tools. Even the shadows are just different coloured shapes. I ought to have used gradient tools and the like to do more realistic shading, and I should have spent more time adding details and correcting the line work, but I got impatient: it took me 6 hours to draw that.

The person who drew the anime picture on the other hand, used a program called 'Paint Tool Sai.'

There are a lot of different techniques and software you can use, so I would recommend you Google tutorials and find one which best suits you. In hindsight, I would recommend copying art or pictures first to get the technique right. I regretted having no references for my mech while I was learning.

With all that said, I have two 'mouse drawn' art pieces that I started years ago, but never finished. I will try finish them up, and upload them some time. Maybe if I make enough, I will start a Deviant art account.

Anyway, I hope that was informative, and has inspired some of you to give digital art a try. :)
Hahaha! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Drawing with a mouse!

Post by Leeward »

Nice post Ryall, would you mind if I turned it into a "What do you draw with?" type thread? :P

Even though I have a tablet, most of the time I prefer my trackball. Also I'm a huge fan of FLOSS, hence my software choices.

My tools:
> GIMP: it's free, it's open-source, you can import your own scripts, and it's got all the tools PS has.
> Inkscape: also free and open-source, very cool vector editor (supports raster import).
> Genius Pensketch 9x12: it's big, has hotkey cells, and also has a mini-mouse.
> Logitech Trackman Marble: it's ambidextrous, ergonomic, precise (high resolution) and doesn't move so you're less likely to strain your wrist using it. Also it confuses people which is nice nerd cred (watch the horror on their face as you remove to ball to clean it and they think you just broke it :lol:).
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Here's some concept art I made of the creatures from my novels over the years. All of this was done with a mouse on MS Paint.
Attachments
Darkling.jpg
Beetle-crab.jpg
Face-sucker.jpg
Quadropod.jpg
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I would never have believed that that anime picture was drawn with a mouse. That's just incredible (I wonder how good that person would be at FPSes).
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

My art (which I know isn't very good) is partly done with a mouse because I don't have a tablet. I do the first draft in pencil or pen then take a photo with my phone and put that on my computer. Then I use GIMP and its various line tools to trace over the drawn lines to create clean digital outlines. I can then use the outlines, various selection tools and layers to create whatever effects.

You can see some (NSFW) examples here:
All mine using the techniques above (BDSM) - https://www.sofurry.com/view/477862
These two both used someone else's linework which I cleaned up and then coloured - https://www.sofurry.com/view/574395 and https://www.sofurry.com/view/689435
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Titanreaper
Species: Mythic Black Tiger Fox
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Titanreaper »

I did Parody with the mouse. it was a long process and I would have liked to put more detail and shading in to make him really pop.
The circumstances of your birth are irrelevant, It's what you do with the gift of life that matters.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

You did your avatar with a mouse? I am impressed.
Titanreaper
Species: Mythic Black Tiger Fox
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Titanreaper »

yeah, I used to do it a few years back but then work got in the way an my life was literally go to work, come home, eat and bath, sleep, wake up and go to work. didn't have time for anything else and when I had leave I would go down to the coast to help my gran out with her apartment. so yeah just recently started again that's why it looks a little rectangular. working on it so I get my line art smoother. I am saving for a Wacom tablet though so when I get one my art will gradually get better!

My avatar is a cropped portion of my Fursona that I posted in the art section.
The circumstances of your birth are irrelevant, It's what you do with the gift of life that matters.
Moon_Gazer
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Timber wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Moon_Gazer »

One of the guys I used to work with also used a mouse and his stuff was awesome. He was pro with the pen tool in illustrator and photoshop
Sssh, can you hear the colours?

Furaffinity
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Almost forgot I drew this.
It's the Phibat signal! :lol:
Attachments
Gotham needs me...
Gotham needs me...
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid
Region: Gauteng

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Very cool
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.