Advanced Roleplay

Come in, relax, play with your friends! You can find something for everybody here. You can even find threads with no particular point at all, other than a good time! You can even start up some role playing.
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Advanced Roleplay

Post by Galahad »

Do we have any experienced/intermediate/advanced roleplayers, keen writers, or beginners willing to put in some additional effort? ;) If you fall into any of these categories and would like to participate in such a text roleplay, I welcome you.

What do I mean by an "advanced roleplay"? It is not much different to many of the roleplays you have seen on this board, but the length and detail of each post will be higher. For example, rather than posting a simple sentence or two as a reply, like this:
Spot saw John come in. Spot was happy. "Welcome back!" he said.
One would post a more detailed paragraph, such as this (possibly longer):
Spot peered out the window, and saw the tall form of John stepping up to the door. Why was he home so early - several hours so, in fact? Something was amiss. Nonetheless, Spot maintained his composure. Perhaps he would ask the necessary questions later, but now would not be the right time. As John opened the door and stepped inside, Spot moved from the window to the lobby to greet his friend. "Welcome back!" he said with a grin.
I personally tend to write more than the above, but the above is merely a recommendation of the absolute minimum: one paragraph, and decent grammar and spelling. The roleplaying guidelines still apply. If there is any hassle with these rules or guidelines being broken, the assistance of the staff will be called in. The title of this thread will also likely be changed to the title of the roleplay once it has been determined.

That being said, what about the theme, plot and setting?

The characters will be anthropomorphic, and the theme will either be adventure, fantasy or science fiction in nature. However, that can be discussed democratically after we have a few members who are willing to join this. :) So, is anyone interested?
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf

Re: Advanced Roleplay

Post by TheOldWolf »

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention. I'm moderately interested. I think I shall throw my lot in with this, for the moment at least.
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

Post by Trace »

Ooh, I would also be interested in this.
I haven't really done much text-based roleplaying, but I have played D&D a few times and I enjoy writing.
Do you have any cursory ideas for what you might like to see?
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I have a few ideas, and I've played D&D before. I assume you're offering to GM?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

So, that makes four of us thus far - an excellent turn-out. To be frank, my initial hopes were for at least one other individual. ;) Thank you for the interest.
Trace wrote:Do you have any cursory ideas for what you might like to see?
My vision for this small roleplay is one that is in-depth, grammatically decent and with a complex plotline that centers around anthropomorphic characters in an adventure, science fiction or fantasy theme, as I wrote; beyond that, we as a group may select a set of details that will then be fixed. With four participants, I think we can begin with that.
Trace wrote:I haven't really done much text-based roleplaying, but I have played D&D a few times and I enjoy writing.
Leeward wrote:I have a few ideas, and I've played D&D before. I assume you're offering to GM?
Upon creating this, I did not actually have the D&D format in mind, but perhaps I can adapt some of its features because they are familiar to you and would make roleplaying easier. :) This would include me being game- or dungeon-master - but I will be less strict in deciding your characters' fate than in an actual D&D game. I will ensure a rough plot is followed (for the sake of orderliness) but all the finer details of the plot will be decided by you and the actions of your characters.

So, without further delay, let us decide on a universe and theme. Here are two options. Which of these would you prefer? Please vote for one. (So as to keep the number of voters odd to avoid ties, I will not vote.) I understand I listed a third option in my initial post (adventure), but after writing out a draft for a plot in it, it was difficult to make the idea exciting, and some details made little sense in such a setting (for example, how might one explain there being anthro animals, and animals?) Thus, I will limit it to two options. If you partially like one but are not entirely happy with it, vote for it, and we can play around with the finer elements of it.

Fantasy - Set in a high-fantasy world occupied both by anthropomorphic and "feral" creatures, with either a steampunk or Medieval time setting. The characters will begin in the world of Velgardia, in a prosperous town that attracts travellers and merchants from all races. From there, they may begin on a quest - whether they know it or not - that will take them from the town into more distant, treacherous lands.

Science Fiction - Set in a distant galaxy with futuristic technology, including much of those found in science fiction literature and movies. The characters will find themselves in the galaxy of Arcanum Magnus, on an uncharted yet inhospitable planet from which they must leave, and are forced to co-operate. How each came to the planet will be left up to the roleplayer to decide.
TheOldWolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

This is a difficult choice. I must default to the option of fantasy though, as it is my staple universe. Depending on how character creation is to be carried out, I may very well have a character already - Feldspar, the young and charming rogue. In this case of anthropomorphism, he shall be a kitsune.

This is a "Fantasy" vote from me.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm kind of bored of fantasy and would like to step out of my comfort zone. Sci-fi vote from me. Looks like Trace is the tiebreaker.
Vox
Species: Red deer
Region: Western Cape

Post by Vox »

may i join?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Of course - as long as you follow the rules and requirements in the opening post. :)
(If there is a tie, I shall have to be the tie-breaker.)
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Oof, no pressure...
Honestly both options sound very appealing to me. As a huge fan of both the fantasy and sci-fi genres I would be more than happy to go with either one.
I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
Vox

Post by Vox »

yup i have quite a bit of experience ^^
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Trace, that is cheap. :P

However, the fantasy - sci-fi score currently stands at 2 - 2. Vox will be the tie-breaker. If he does not respond within 24 hours, I shall use my vote.

Please also understand that participating in this will require you at least to be moderately active. :) As long as you are not disappearing for days on end, it is fine. This prevents other roleplayers from having to wait for you to complete your turn.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Galahad wrote:Trace, that is cheap. :P
I sorry...
I am really, really bad at decision making, especially when multiple outcomes all have their own appeal.
It's why I have no idea what I'm doing with my life IRL. :P
I am trying to get better at it...

I will say that I am also somewhat curious as to which of the options that you would prefer. As I assume that you will be providing at least the core worldbuilding and overarching plot structure, if you think that there is one option that might work better than the other, I might want to go with that. Of course, being forced to develop and expand on ideas that you haven't given as much thought to could also lead to some interesting places. And I assume that the story will be at least somewhat driven by the rest of us as well, once we get going...
This is why I am bad at decisions...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

It is fine, Trace. ;) Do not worry about it. I understand the conundrum. I do not mind either, and have backstories planned for both. I do have a slight preference, but I shall only reveal it if I must vote as tie-breaker.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

CyntheWightRabbit wrote:Quite a few years ago, I was talked into doing something like this. :P Eventually it became something of a ritual between me and the other guy. It started out as you have written, but eventually, I don't know when or how, we started writing basically chapters worth of text for one single post. Which I'm sure isn't what you want here. ;3
Actually, that sounds pretty awesome to me... I wouldn't mind too much if things eventually turned out that way. Maybe you should consider joining. The more the merrier, right?

But I'll agree, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

The vote currently stands at 2 - 2, still. As Vox has not voted, and we cannot spare further time, I shall use my vote as a tie-breaker.
I vote for science fiction. This brings the vote to 2 - 3, in favour of science fiction, and thus it wins.

With that, we can begin.

The posting order (the sequence in which users post) will be the following: Me -> Old Wolf -> Trace -> Leeward -> Vox

Unless in unusual circumstances, such as a roleplayer failing to post within a reasonable time period despite it being his or her turn (I shall moderate this carefully), please do not post out of order. This rule prevents plot clutter and time paradoxes.

With that being said, please post your character biographies with the following format:
Name:
Species:
Sex:

Physical Appearance:

Personality:

History (Optional):

Picture (Optiona):
It need not be very long, but please be descriptive enough for us to have a good idea of who your character is. "Species" refers to the anthopomorphised version of any animal species, not the "feral" or real variation. There is no strict class list, as I do not want you to feel constricted; however, I did not scrap it either, as it helps with making the plot more rational as characters will then have strengths and weaknesses based on their knowledge, experience and expertise in their respective classes. Examples include assassin, thief, mercenary, engineer, pilot, doctor and soldier (the more specific, the better).

If you wish to state your character's sexual orientation (or, if you feel inclined to add in a gender as well as sex), please do so under "Personality", though this is optional. None are excluded.

As an example, here is my character biography for my own namesake character, Galahad, whom I shall be using:
Name: Galahad Ridire (Surname pronounced rrye-DEE-reh)
Species: Utahraptor
Sex Male
Class: Mechanical and systems engineer

Physical Appearance: A large, lean-muscled anthropomorphic dinosaur standing at two metres tall, Galahad is often among the first to be seen in the midst of a crowd due to his scaled denim-blue hide and great stature. Lateral ribbons of lighter cerulean blue streak across his back. From beneath the lightly feathered ridges along the dorsal surface of his head, are his eyes - a piercing green. However, Galahad is bespectacled and thus wears a pair of thick-rimmed, circular glasses to correct his astigmatic eyesight (this being an oddity among his otherwise rather keen-eyed species). Typical to his kind, Galahad sports a pair of wickedly intimidating, onyx-black sickle claws, each on his medial-most digit of his respective foot.

Personality: Quieter and more introverted, Galahad prefers to spend most of his time alone, pursuing more academic and intellectual activities. As a result of this, prolonged social activity tends to exhaust the raptor and make him more stone-faced and stolid among strangers. Nonetheless, when Galahad discovers a kindred soul in whom he can confide, a new side of him becomes apparent - one brimming with curiosity, protectiveness and imagination. Also in spite of his rather asocial nature, Galahad nurtures a sense of humour that is both witty and particularly dark, sometimes to the offense of a more sensitive listener. With more of a mathematical and strategic mind, Galahad is not afraid to work in a team, lending his intellectual talents where appropriate as an engineer.

History (Optional): --

Picture (Optional): --
Once all four of us have character biographies up, we can begin the actual story. ;) I will post the introduction then.
TheOldWolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

Well Science-fiction it is then! Here is my little attempt at a biography, not entirely sure how well it work. Without further ado, Theodore "Tips" Almer, the three tailed wolf mercenary!

Name: Theodore “Tips” Almer.
Species: Wolf.
Sex: Male.
Class: Mercenary.

Physical Appearance: Lithe and acrobatic of a medium height Theodore stands just short of a hundred and eighty centimetres. Midnight black fur covers his back before fading towards a lighter grey on his chest and frontal areas, his muzzle and three tails are turning a silver-grey. Black rimmed amber eyes adorn Theodore's face, his left ear is pierced with a single, plain stud. Should one see his naked flesh, scars and signs of wounds long healed are present, most notable however, is the Icovellanva (Celtic Knot) tattoo etched in a deep red running from the base of his neck, curling under his arms onto his chest before curling onto his middle tail.

Personality: Silence and solitude are Theodore's greatest companions and feels uncomfortable in crowded or noisy places, far preferring the company of trees, or any place where he can skulk of and go mostly unnoticed. Theodore is guided by a personal creed which is often hard to convey to convey, he claims his word is his honour and attempts to never renege on a spoken agreement, no matter how flippant, causing him to choose his words carefully and rarely speaking without cause to those who he doesn't know or understand. Theodore endeavours to accept the view points of everyone without passing voiced judgement or allowing condemnation – however, upon a personal attack, Theodore is a mighty beast. Theodore favours logic over emotion easily putting aside personal feelings or opinions to get something done.
Despite his usual stoic behaviour with unknowns, Theodore is highly animated and wears his emotions on his sleeve when not required to be a professional or in the company of “friends”, when around such people Theodore's playful side comes out.

History: Theodore was born into poverty and squalor in the slums of the larger cities, growing up he learned to go mostly unnoticed and appear unremarkable. Until he was given to a mercenary company where discipline was beaten into him. It was in the company of mercenaries he learned everything he knows, from caring for his weapons to basic first aid to diplomacy. After sometime the bad broke up after several missions wrong, leaving only Theodore and several others as survivors, Theodore slunk away, however still bears their earring stud to remember his youth. Despite no longer having a company to assist him, Theodore continued to take on tasks as a solo-mercenary.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

I really like what has been posted thus far. My character is a bit different from what I might usually consider doing, but I had an idea and wanted to run with it. Here is my cursory biography and a quick sketch for Triss, the opossum pilot:

Name: Triss Aleena
Species: Opossum/Possum
Sex: Female
Class: Pilot

Physical Appearance: Standing at a bit over 1.5 metres, Triss is somewhat small and petite, even among those of her species.
Her head is covered in white fur, which fades into gray on her body, with darker fur approaching black on her limbs and ears. She has a darker ruff of fur around her neck, as well as a stripe of darker fur down her back. Her near-naked tail is long and mildly prehensile. Her eyes can appear black at a distance, but are actually a very dark blue. She is rarely seen without her trademark jacket on, and wears a turquoise pendant around her neck on a thin chain.

Personality: She tends to be fairly withdrawn and stoic, never being much of one for idle chatter, especially with those she does not know well. Because of this she can come across as unreachable or even hostile when first met. However, this front belies her true personality. In getting to know her better, her compassion and kindness for those around her is revealed. Her goals may not always be apparent, but ultimately she seeks to do whatever good she can with what she has, even if it is to her own detriment. This is not to say that she is naive, however. She knows to be careful who to trust, as well as how to defend herself. She is indisputably an excellent pilot, coming highly recommended. Because of this, she has managed to survive doing freelance work as such despite sometimes coming across as aloof.

History: "You'd better get to know someone a little better before you go prying into their past."

Picture:
Triss_1.jpg
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

You're lucky you are not being cyntenced to any punishment for your tomfoolery; though I must admit I do have cynpathy for you, and your presence is more pleasant than it is cynister. ;)

I have consulted with Lee, Wolf and Trace. They agree that a separate thread should be made to facilitate discussion, commentary and suggestions on the roleplay. Hence, I shall be creating this thread momentarily.

The rules remain strictly in place - out-of-character commentary is to be kept to a minimum here.

Lee, it is still your turn to post your character biography. Thereafter, I shall begin with the roleplay itself.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Galahad wrote:Lee, it is still your turn to post your character biography. Thereafter, I shall begin with the roleplay itself.
Coming, coming... Okay so we have a merc and a pilot, now how to complement that...

Name: Susan "Truffles" Scrofa
Species: Wild boar
Sex: Female
Class: Engineer

Physical Appearance: Burly and butch, Truffles is a sow of average height (1.7m) with a strong and heavy build. She sports a natural look with a mohawk and large tusks, and can pass off as male in most situations, which she doesn't care about in the least. She can almost always be found tinkering with machinery, and is perpetually smeared with engine grease, particularly on her hands and face. She usually wears overalls with a tool belt full of spanners, screwdrivers, hammers, pliers and such, and always has a pair of goggles on her head.

Personality: Truffles is what some would call a gentle giant. Despite her intimidating appearance and mannish tendencies, she is a real softie and wears her heart on her sleeve. Not particularly outgoing or chatty (except when it comes to all things mechanical), but not withdrawn either. She revels in the simple pleasures of life, be it the tranquil solitude of recalibrating an auto-targetting turret, or spending the night in a rowdy pub full of her favourite liquor and pretty girls.

History: Country girl, grew up on a farm. Has an excellent nose, hence the nickname. Doesn't have much else to say about herself, has a rather uneventful past.

Picture: Nah, rather use your imagination.
Vox

Post by Vox »

Name: Vox Conisby
Species: Deer
Sex: Male
Class: Paramedic

Physical Appearance: Quite slender in form, reaching a height of 1,6m (bit more if you count the antlers). Having long hair that reaches to his chest, he prefers to keep it tied back in a pony tail when working as it has a habit of getting in the way of things. When not at work he can be seen wearing shorts most often as he has a hard time finding pants loose enough for his liking. His Digitigrade form does not help at all in this.

Personality: Often quite shy in upfront social situations Vox will feel compelled to help others, no matter his relation to them. While not particularly chatty to people, he can talk for hours on end if it's to a friend or to a patient that just needs someone to talk to. Vox is quite optimistic despite the stress of his work.

History: Grew up in the suburbs, has academic background, could have applied to become a fully licensed doctor with his grades but despite his families protests he became a paramedic as he prefers the direct assistance more rewarding.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

[ C H A P T E R I: Strange Faces in a Strange World ]
An eerie silence hung over the alien landscape – thick, foreboding. Occasionally, the whistle of the wind could be heard as a cold gust swept through the enormous trees. Or at least, what a being from planet Earth would be tempted to label as trees. Unlike the ambience, the foreign landscape was far from being nondescript: tall floral spirals reached up, almost as if in an attempt to pierce the violet-black night sky far overhead. The plant-like structures were coated in a thick hide that bore some resemblance to tree bark. The ground beneath was hard, dry and rocky, a painful punishment for any ill-prepared traveler.

Yet on this bizarre terrain, was a moving form. A walking contradiction: a figure as far-removed from this world, as this world was to him. Against the bleak brown and grey hues of the ground, now almost smothered by the blackness of the night, strode a tall silhouette against the pale light of the moons above. A faint blue could be seen in his otherwise dark form. The figure stopped, and surveyed the environment around him, keen green eyes attentive.

He was so far from home.

After a minute of repose, the creature raised a recording device to his mouth. “Day two. Still no sign of civilization.” His deep voice broke the silence, daring to break the wind’s reign over the quiet. “Managed to salvage food and water, and rationed it to last me for a few more days. Intend to keep heading towards the direction in which the star sets to maintain a linear course. Firing second flare…

With that, the figure raised what was in his other hand – a flaregun, with a precious few amount of flares remaining. He pointed its barrel up, and pulled the trigger. A brilliant stream of white-hot magnesium trailed upwards, casting a warm glow over the land below as the flare was shot into the sky. Shadows shifted and twisted beneath the bright radiance above, as if scurrying from the white and red light that spread in a wondrous arc above.

If there were any hospitable sentient life around within a radius of a few kilometres, he had faith his presence would be known. He preferred not to think of what else it may attract.

… Also…” he paused, and then added dryly: “Fuck this place.

With that, the large male adjusted the pack strapped to his lean shoulders, and continued watching the flare’s brilliance above with a grim determination. The days of this planet were longer, and the nights much colder. However, he found solace in the fact that he had at least crash-landed on a planet that did not crush him with immense gravity, or choke him with an unbreathable atmosphere.

He only hoped he would not encounter a fate that would make those look merciful. However, his was a will not easily conquered. One easily distracted, perhaps, but not easily conquered.

(Reminder: The writing order is me -> TheOldWolf -> Trace -> Leeward -> Vox. Please keep to this sequence. The next poster is thus TheOldWolf.)
TheOldWolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

Marooned, jettisoned, dumped. Abandoned – call it what you will, it made for an unhappy wolf. “Grand,” he mutters to himself, “Another group not willing to full their half of a bargain. When I get off this forsaken place...”
At least they had the decency to leave him with the clothes on his back.
He continued to skulk silently through the night - the grandest disturbance being a growl emanating from his stomach - a clear hunger dogged his gait but the local flora that could offer any form of sustenance was indiscernible to his eyes, and likely highly unappetizing.

“Slums were better than this.” Theodore thinks to himself bitterly as his tails writhe in frustration, “slums at least had waste bins around.”
More walking, no particular direction, just padding forward in whatever which way the terrain seemed to move with luck, another wanderer or a marked road, surely in this day and age, no land is unmapped? No matter how far off the beaten path.

It may have been hours, or even minutes, he was unsure - but that contented smile crept up to his muzzle.
“At least it's a new adventure, I just feel naked without my weapons.” He continued, a familiar humming of song in his throat, his eyes focused on a distant ember.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

"Stupid piece of..."
Triss hit the side of the monitor with the flat of her hand. The screen flickered one more time, and then the power finally gave out.
"Damn." She leaned back in the cockpit chair, staring up at the grey of the metal ceiling above her. Even with her small stature, the space was cramped.

She looked back down at the dead equipment around her. It was in a shambles. The landing had been a hard one, but could have been much worse. Though the ship itself was trashed, Triss was none the worse for wear. It was a minor miracle that the computer in front of her had held out this long. Of course, with the main power supply completely broken off from the rest of the small ship, and the auxiliary backup damaged and now depleted; the ship, which had already been beyond salvation, was now little more than a hunk of scrap metal.

Triss got up from the chair and ducked into the main body of the small cruiser. She took a moment to survey the few things she had gathered over the course of the day. She had found a small cache of food and water in a storage locker in the back of the ship. Just enough for a single person for a few days. In the lockers had also been some blankets and a few other emergency supplies: some tinder, a tiny first aid kit and a dull knife. There were no real weapons though, of course. There wouldn't be any in a civilian ship like this.

What had been conspicuously absent was the distress beacon that every ship like this was supposed to have. There was even a small indentation in the locker where it should have sat. That was not entirely unusual though. Though technically it was illegal for any interplanetary transport to go without one, they did tend to be expensive, both to buy and maintain, and people were inclined to cut corners when it came to these types of things. No one ever expected to ever really need one.

That was no real comfort to Triss when it meant she had no means of calling for help though. She had attempted to use the onboard systems to send out a general distress call, but had had little success in getting anything to work. Since the crash that morning she had spent the day trying to work out some way out of this mess, and had slowly begun to accept that she might not be going anywhere anytime soon. The navigation computer in the front of the ship had been her last-ditch effort at signaling for a rescue, but now even that was gone.

She sighed. There was no use in just hanging around inside the ship. Maybe she could get some idea of her bearings if she looked around a bit. She stepped out of the side door of the ship and shivered in the cool of the night, pulling her jacket closer to her.

The entire landscape seemed alien and... Wrong. Even the stars in the night sky were unfamiliar.

"This was supposed to be an easy job..." Triss muttered to herself. She closed her eyes, thinking back to the events of the last few days.

Her eyes snapped open at the sound of a distant pop. She watched as a flare rose up into the night sky. It looked like she wasn't alone after all. She took a moment to gather the few useful things she could from the ship and bundled them up together, then began to make her way towards the source of the flare.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It was a peaceful night. Or at least it was, until a bang followed by a brilliant glow interrupted a snore from within a makeshift dugout improvised out of wreckage.

Truffles woke with a start, grasping an enormous pipe wrench and praying that it wasn't one of her salvaged gizmos misbehaving again and setting the forest on fire. Braced for trouble with the wrench wielded high above her head and panting in confusion, she looked around for a few seconds and realised that it did not come from within the semi-subterranean dwelling.

She peered out cautiously from the former porthole she called a window, but could see no fire, or any other indication that something unusual had happened, apart from an unusual glow coming from above. It was not daylight, but if it were a meteor or ship it would not have made a noise before impact, she thought. She stepped outside to locate the source through a gap in the canopy, and her suspicions were immediately confirmed as she recognised the orb in the sky as a distress flare.

Finally! Somebody else on this wretched planet! But friend or foe? Rescuer? Explorer? Coloniser? Mercenary? Treasure hunter? Fellow castaway? Thoughts racing through her mind, the swine analysed the situation and its implications. The flare had been shot from too far away for her location to be known, or for a short walk to be sufficient to meet whoever launched it. She came to the conclusion that despite her excitement, it was best to be cautious and prepared.

She bolted what was left of the almost-unhinged ship door shut and hoisted the Mylar blanket "flag" she had started to think she might never get to use above her abode, a plasma flashlight pointed at it for visibility.

The paltry provisions in the crude evaporation fridge make her sigh in frustration at her own lack of foresight, but at least there was enough water in the rain tank to last for several days.

And with that, Truffles was satisfied, set the rust-covered timekeeping bot to wake her at dawn, held her trusty wrench close, and promptly went back to sleep.
Vox

Post by Vox »

Vox blinked a few times as he regained consciousness, his head still spinning from the induced sleep from his shuttle. Looking around he collects his thoughts, remembering that he was sent on a one person transport to a small industrial world. Taking a deep breath Vox climbs out of the ship, it's frame consisting of only enough space for the engines, a small bed and storage unit, both for luggage and the life support unit. Once his eyes adjust to the light Vox quickly checks the ships navigation screen just in time to see it shut down, the transportations mission, as far as it's concerned, completed. Picking up his backpack and duffle bag of supplies he stretches with a yawn. A loud noise from the distance draws his attention, looking in its direction he shields his eyes with his prosthetic arm, the gears softly whining as he brings it up. Smiling he starts heading towards the flare, picking up to a jog as he is eager to meet the person, while silently hoping the beacon was not to show the poor soul was in danger.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Removed posts by CyntheWightRabbit and Galahad as discussed.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

The silence was both comforting and maddening, especially beneath the radiance of the flare above - with the unnatural light cast upon a world seemingly as unnatural, Galahad instinctively expected something to appear. Anything. Something to make noise. Yet, the landscape, now searing hues of brown, green and grey, instead remained mute; unresponsive to the artificial dawn.

There was something sinister, unsettling, about it. Something oddly synthetic.

Galahad came to a halt. He decided to wait where he currently was. The forest was less dense here, and he would be more easily spotted should there be any intelligent life within the vicinity. Of course, there was always a risk something far less hospitable would emerge from the ring of darkness that surrounded the aura of flarelight, but it was a gambit worth taking. After all, it was unlikely he himself would run into much in the way of civilization should he press on without giving a sign of his presence.
Yet, as if to reassure himself, he kept a hand on the pistol strapped to his hip.

One clip. Six shots.

If it came to it, he would need to make each of those count. Once they were all fired, he would have nothing but his teeth and claws: and as impressive as they were, there were possibly creatures lurking in the shadows who were no doubt better-equipped than he in that aspect.

He slung off the backpack from his shoulders and laid it next to his feet. He then cupped his hands around his maw. “Hello!?” he called out, to any soul nearby.

Would someone respond?
TheOldWolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

“Note to self, thorns,” he grimaced as he plucked another thorn from his hide, “hurt. Well done Theodore. Walked right into that one you did.”

At least the night sky was giving way into some semblance of dawn, light enough now that his eyes could plainly see his surroundings, and the thorn bush he blundered through.
His eyes flicked between his claws and the “trees”, while not the sharpest – not nearly as efficient as a felines – but sharp and strong enough to enable him to haul himself up to get a higher view.
An unsafe endeavor to consider without some sort of support or safety net.

“Last one!” Theodore let his tails give a twitch of comfort.

A quick glance to his claws and back to the... Thing.

“Screw it.” He placed a paw against the flora, resistant however his claws gained enough traction to assist him in shimmying up the structure with minimal effort.

“Well hi there.” From his vantage point he could spy something out of place against the monotonous view of alien flora. Something decidedly living.

His feet hit the ground and began a steady pace to that disturbance on the horizon, a silent prayer that it was friendly and not a hungry local.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

The sky had just barely begun to lighten as the flare faded out. Triss had reached the figure in the clearing. He looked as out of place as she currently felt. She noticed the gun at his side, but decided to chance contact anyway. She doubted that she would come across many others in this, the literal middle of nowhere. Steeling herself, she stepped out of the trees and began to speak.

"I couldn't help but notice your signal." She called out. She saw the 'raptor's head snap to gaze at where she stood at the edge of the treeline. "I can't imagine that you're here to rescue me. Did you go down in that freak ion storm as well? It fried most of my ship systems. Teach me to try shortcuts..."

She hesitantly stepped a little further out into the clearing. She held up her arms to show that she was unarmed.

The 'raptor seemed unsure of how to respond to the sudden intrusion. Triss supposed she couldn't blame him. Who knew how long he had been out here by himself.

She sighed and dropped her hands back down to her sides. "Look, it's been a long day. Clearly you can understand me. So please, either say something or just shoot me already."