Tulpas

Come in, relax, play with your friends! You can find something for everybody here. You can even find threads with no particular point at all, other than a good time! You can even start up some role playing.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Tulpas

Post by Fluke »

I have been wanting to create a tulpa for a long time. I have read many stories of them on /mlp/ and such, read many guides etc. Yesterday I decided I would try to create one, or 'discover' one. Talked to a few friends who have one, or even 3, and they really have helped me. It is weird creating a tulpa, there is no right or wrong way to do it. And you can't really follow a guide, you just have to do what works for you - and find out what works for you. It is tough on the mind in the beginning, I have had a headache for quite a while after 'forcing' my tulpa. Luckily that's a good thing.

Now you might be asking, what is a tulpa? Well;

A tulpa is an independent consciousness in the mind, and is ultimately no different from you as far as how you think, act, perceive the world, etc. It isn’t a demon, a spirit, or an external entity of any kind. A tulpa is an internal personality separate from your own, but just as human. They are sentient, meaning they have their own thoughts, consciousness, perceptions and feelings, and even their own memories.

A tulpa is essentially a mind that (usually) identifies with a form, created by an individual as a mental companion. Their form can be chosen by the creator of the tulpa, but it can also be left for the tulpa to decide on. It can communicate with you through mindvoice – a voice in your head similar to the one you use when you think or talk ‘in your head’ – or using an imposed voice, that will be similar to the way you hear sounds from reality, but the imposed voice is still internal. Not only voice can seem like it comes from reality, you can learn to impose your tulpa’s form, which will allow you to see it as if it’s physically there, despite that it still is in your mind.

By being in your mind with you, they know you intimately like no external being can. You can decide to open to them everything about yourself, including your most intimate memories, your everyday thoughts and everything you know. There is no need to fear that they won’t understand how you acted in certain situation that might seem bad or shameful; most tulpas are very understanding of their host due to how close they are.
What Isn’t a Tulpa?

Tulpas are not spirits or demons. They are constructs of the mind; they have as much power over you as you’ll give them, and no more. They can’t kill you (not that we’ve tested it, but there are no records that would substantiate anything like that) and can’t physically harm you. A tulpa isn’t going to take over your mind or body out of the blue – some people experiment with possession, but anyone who does will tell you that it isn’t easy, instant, or something that can be done without practice on your part. Also, your tulpa will not be inherently malevolent unless you make it that way, or if you do something to earn its scorn to the point where it would wish anything negative towards you. Remember that the tulpa is a part of you – it won’t do anything that would jeopardize your existence.

Having a tulpa does not inherently give you a mental health disorder such as dissociative identity disorder (DID) or dissociative disorder not otherwise specified (DDNOS) and a tulpa definitely isn’t schizophrenia nor it can give you schizophrenia. Some creators have experienced dissociation, and perhaps a disorder has manifested in a rare few people attempting to create tulpas, but such cases are extraordinarily rare. Dissociation doesn’t just happen because you have a tulpa. When it does happen it’s a signal that there was very likely something that needed addressing, like serious depression, trauma, abuse, or clinical anxiety issues.

Ultimately, if you don’t perceive a threat from the process, there won’t be one. The common link between these cases is that the creators are paranoid of such things happening. If you can’t get over that fear, you may not want to try creation yet.

----

I have so far created the outline, rough form of my tulpa. And started with information. I cannot fully explain. So far as to say I am focusing on a pony-form, but I am not deciding its name or appearance. The personality it has is something I have worked on for about 3-4 hours now, physical only about 1-2 hours. But, I definitely can say it's weird, but awesome weird.

Here are a bunch of guides:
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-grea ... guides-wip
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: Tulpas

Post by jacojerb »

Very odd... I'll have to test this myself, but making a seperate personality in yourself could be useful in many cases... I believe this can also be seen as a form of self-hipnosis. But I'll see for myself, hehe
Mew?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

jacojerb wrote:Very odd... I'll have to test this myself, but making a seperate personality in yourself could be useful in many cases... I believe this can also be seen as a form of self-hipnosis. But I'll see for myself, hehe
I would NOT do it on a whim like that.

They stay with you for LIFE. And with the wrong intents they could turn out to be horrifying.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

I often chat and argue with an "entity" in my brain which I consider to be kind of "separate" from myself (been doing it for as long as I can remember), but I've never heard of a "tulpa" before. Mine probably isn't the same thing, since we're almost identical. He just likes to berate me when I screw up, and urges me to work harder when I'm feeling lazy and stuff like that. Also, he doesn't really have a form. He's just a voice.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I have pretty much the same thing as Contrast. Hence why this interested me. Exept I often argue with him. After which I just usually keep telling him to shut up repeatently... Thinking about it, I probably shouldve told my shrink about him... Oops :P

as for Fluke, I'm creating him out of interest. I see nothing wrong with that. And also, a constant companion may be nice... Though I know its a trick of the mind, that doesnt bother me too much. Its hard to explain. Like, when I'm dreaming, and notice it's a dream, I usually dont do anything about it, just appreciate it. So I'm not just doing this out of interest, but it may be fun
Mew?
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I used to have one, a long time ago. I sort off... outgrew him? no, more like I didn't need him any more.

though I'd say there is still someone there. Just not a separate personality. more of an... older me, if that makes sense. like a different version of myself. a left over from years gone. back from high school. parts of me that have changed or left behind. I sorta think of him like a "dark" side of myself. I use the term dark cause when I argue with him he gets.... hostile :P

But I'm grateful for his companionship. even if his thoughts always are a bit agro. ^-^
Time to change
Kalium_Puceon
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Duiker!
Region: Western Cape
Mastodon: pleroma.site/kalium

Post by Kalium_Puceon »

I often talk to a voice who I keep running in my head. He consumes a lot of brainpower, so He is usually quiet until I need help, advice or someone to talk to, but that is mainly because I try to allow him to think in a different way from me in an attempt to get new Ideas. When I need. Sometimes, he even remembers and reminds me of things I have forgotten completely, like some of the old things lying around the back of my cupboard, and inspired me to work on them. useful to have, I'll look into this tulpa business and See if it's what I want or if I should stick to my current voice.
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."
-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Contact Me!
My Github! | My Twitter! | My Tumblr | Hit me up as Kalium on foonetic IRC!
Bartimaeus Lumiere

Post by Bartimaeus Lumiere »

Pinkamena Diane Pie wrote:
jacojerb wrote:Very odd... I'll have to test this myself, but making a seperate personality in yourself could be useful in many cases... I believe this can also be seen as a form of self-hipnosis. But I'll see for myself, hehe
I would NOT do it on a whim like that.

They stay with you for LIFE. And with the wrong intents they could turn out to be horrifying.
First of all, allow me to say that I was EXTREMELY surprised to see the word 'Tulpa' again. I am going to congratulate you on that ~shakes your hand~ I am Bartimaeus Lumiere and let me say that I am pleased to meet you - you had my curiosity but my interest is now focused on you as well.

The only flaw that I can find with this is that you come off... Too lightly, I suppose; a Tulpa created with the wrong intentions whether they are conscious OR subconscious can be beyond the horror that most would understand. Fear, pain, loneliness... There are so many factors that can warp these beings that one may not even be consciously aware of. Although... If one is to create a Tulpa that is very pure and you then fall from grace... There will be problems. The opposite is also true, remember that the way a Tulpa experiences things, acts and thinks is bound to the process of it's creation. It's no casual thing nor is it a game.

You seem to realize that but I still think you might have come off a little too lightly for those who do not know as much as you do.

Still, do let me know how you are progressing - as I've said you have my interest.