Random furry thoughts

Come in, relax, play with your friends! You can find something for everybody here. You can even find threads with no particular point at all, other than a good time! You can even start up some role playing.
Alion
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Lion-fox hybrid
Region: Gauteng

Random furry thoughts

Post by Alion »

-looks around nervously- this is my first topic (other than my intro) that I'm posting. I'm a bit nervous but here goes nothing. This is just to get all of those strangely interesting foughts furries fink about out in the open and to discuss some thoughts on different things from fruit to mutant marshmallows from mars. So I'll start by saying something that really been bothering me lately. What happens to all of those socks that mysteriously go missing? Any thoughts?
Contrary to popular belief,Rawr does NOT mean I love you in dinosaur. It actually means are you going to eat that?
Ember
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Tiger

Re: Random furry thoughts

Post by Ember »

A question I have asked many times before! I could almost swear on my life that my little brother eats my socks... It would be far too suspicious if his own socks started disappearing, so he eats mine instead O.o (strangely my old school socks never seem to disappear).
-
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

But the answer is so obvious! They migrate to Sock Island! Where they dance to mad DJ beats and sip margaritas and party all night long. There's an insurance commercial all about it. :D
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

then my socks must be like me ( hate big parties ) because they come back after awile and never dissapear again,
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Since this thread is for random thoughts, I'll share some of my own.
If "he" is a "him", why isn't "she" a "shim"?
And if paper burns up, why does a house burn down?
And why does the WWE wrestler CM Punk have the Pepsi logo tattooed on his left shoulder?
Alion

Post by Alion »

I believe in sock island. The only mystery is how do they get there? I've seen the ad but socks can't just crawl over the ocean can they? As for the shim,I honestly have no idea.
Contrary to popular belief,Rawr does NOT mean I love you in dinosaur. It actually means are you going to eat that?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

They construct little rafts like Tom Hanks did in "Cast away".
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

Contrast wrote: If "he" is a "him", why isn't "she" a "shim"?
And if paper burns up, why does a house burn down?
And why does the WWE wrestler CM Punk have the Pepsi logo tattooed on his left shoulder?
I'll give you my best guesses. :p
1: I think it has something to do with pronunciation.

2: Burning paper floats upward (mine did), and a house collapses.

3:Might be his sponsor?
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Could God heat up a burrito so hot that He Himself could not eat it?" - Homer Simpson
Vega
Species: Fox

Post by Vega »

Why does rain makes one sad and but then comes a rainbow and make everyone happy again?
I love the rain even though it makes me sad.
I misspell but I don't care my point gets across.
Alion

Post by Alion »

Rain dampens everything (pun intended) even your mood
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

I didn't use to mind the rain, but then I got TopTV. Rain screws up the signal. Cheap dish *edited (PG-13 language please ;) )* ...
Last edited by Grayhound on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swearing in PG-13 section
Vega
Species: Fox

Post by Vega »

Yeah I also got that, and they have so............ Many repeats
I misspell but I don't care my point gets across.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Contrast wrote:I didn't use to mind the rain, but then I got TopTV. Rain screws up the signal. Cheap dish *edited (PG-13 language please ;) )* ...
But it's in the dictionary! How can it be swearing if it's in the dictionary!?
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak

Post by Faanvolla »

its a word with meaning, that means it should be in a dict. swearword or no.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

ALL swearwords have meaning, but that doesn't give them an automatic spot in the dictionary. Only "real" words suitable for perfectly acceptable academic English can be found in the Chambers Dictionary. Therefore, I do not consider the word I used to be a swear at all, but rather a perfectly apt description of a group of cheap b******s.
Grayhound
Species: Wolf-Keidran

Post by Grayhound »

Alas, i'll need you to prove that their parentage is in doubt before I allow that to be posted here. Nice try though ;)
True love is real, sometimes it just happens in unexpected places.
I do what I must; not because i'm certain of my own sense of justice, but because i'm not certain of anyone elses.
Alion

Post by Alion »

Speaking of swearing,what's the point? Its not like saying the F word when something goes wrong is going to fix it. I think its just a waste of breath to swear
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak

Post by Faanvolla »

And it could get you in trouble or make you receive glares.
I think that when you -see a spider/get hurt- you need to let others know that there is a danger in the close proximity.
This could have been a primative instinct.
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Alion wrote:Speaking of swearing,what's the point? Its not like saying the F word when something goes wrong is going to fix it. I think its just a waste of breath to swear
It is a way to relieve mental tension. Similar to hitting a wall with your fist. Or killing THOUSANDS OF ENEMY SPACESHIPS! It channels anger into a less destructive route, discharging it in a harmless way. It may also indicate the depth of your emotions to other people.

Of course, some people take it too far, like most things in life.
Grayhound
Species: Wolf-Keidran

Post by Grayhound »

My preferred method of stress relief? There's a pc game called Superpower 2. You pick a country like Russia a launch a nuclear strike on the USA. Watching the world fill up with pretty lights as all the alliances start triggering nuclear strikes at each other is oddly soothing and helps put things into perspective.
True love is real, sometimes it just happens in unexpected places.
I do what I must; not because i'm certain of my own sense of justice, but because i'm not certain of anyone elses.
Alion

Post by Alion »

Interesting... I think i'll stick to screaming into my pillow to relieve stress. much less hassle then killing countless millions
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

I just lock away all my anger into my subconscious where it can fester away quietly as a mental illness.
Alion

Post by Alion »

Do you believe in extraterrestrials?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Just going by stats and math, they SHOULD exist.
Alion

Post by Alion »

What do you think they would look like?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

If they have the same requirements for life as us, then we can assume that their basic anatomy won't be all that different from our own. A sun is needed for life, and that means light, so eyes are almost certain (unless they live underground or deep beneath the oceans). They would need some form of propulsion to chase after prey and escape predators, so they'd probably have legs. If they have the same senses as us (touch, smell, hearing, taste, sight) then it would make sense for their sensory organs to be grouped near the brain, so we can expect them to have heads attached to one end of their bodies much like the animals of Earth. If they are intelligent beings capable of using tools, then they probably have some means to manipulate their environment, something like hands.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Contrast wrote:If they have the same requirements for life as us, then we can assume that their basic anatomy won't be all that different from our own.
-Shudders- No.... The later parts of the post were better where you provided justifications but it's more likely that they won't be anything like us. Humans, and all apes and monkeys, are not a common form. If they followed mammals they would more than likely be like either rodents or bats (together they account for more than 50% of mammal species). If they were similar to animals they would be more like insects, specifically beetles. Alien life could just be like bacteria or maybe it would just be plant life. There are countless ways to be and the path leading to any specific one is so rare as it to make it almost impossible that you will find an alien species that looks like us.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

You just love dissing everybody, don't you Rakuen?

If you look at the basic anatomy of even two very different animals here on Earth, such as humans and lizards for example, you'll see that we're actually not all that different.
We both have a head containing two eyes, two ears, a mouth, a brain. We both have four limbs, We even have the same internal organs for the most part, even though we are mammals and lizards are reptiles.

The vast majority of life in the universe must be very simple and basic, like you said, but I chose to describe aliens that could potentially contact us, rather than insects or bacteria, because that is the most likely scenario for First Contact.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Contrast wrote:You just love dissing everybody, don't you Rakuen?

If you look at the basic anatomy of even two very different animals here on Earth, such as humans and lizards for example, you'll see that we're actually not all that different.
We both have a head containing two eyes, two ears, a mouth, a brain. We both have four limbs, We even have the same internal organs for the most part, even though we are mammals and lizards are reptiles.

The vast majority of life in the universe must be very simple and basic, like you said, but I chose to describe aliens that could potentially contact us, rather than insects or bacteria, because that is the most likely scenario for First Contact.
Nope. But I do like science.

There are similarities between animals here yes but there's also a very good reason for that. All life on earth evolved from a common ancestor. When you look at animals they share a more recent common ancestor than other animals and bacteria or animals and plants. That common ancestry dictates that the more recently they shared a common ancestor the more similar they will be, with some exceptions in unlikely circumstances. Lizards and humans are similar because they both had a common ancestor with that basic body plan.

If you start talking about alien life you will be talking about life evolving with no connection to Earth and no reason to evolve in any way similar to us. You can't use similar features amongst animals here as to judge how aliens will develop because they will not share ancestry and they will not share the same conditions during their evolution.

That's not to say that there won't be similarities but they will be very much more general. For example if they have a direction then you can expect their sense organs to face that way. However, as you did point out, if they grow in the dark they won't have vision like us. In fact even if they can see they won't necessarily have vision like us. Many insects can see ultraviolet light. They will maybe see in infrared.
They might not even have a body with a direction. Octopuses are very intelligent for invertebrates yet their body is more radially symmetrical than ours and allows them to move in any direction. In such a case they won't have a "head" or any sense of "forward."

That's where the problem lies. You're basing what a different life form might look like but using our existing life as a base. That's not a valid assumption. You need to try and imagine what could be if something started from scratch and how it would then solve those problems. Even then you'll probably be far off. As Orgel's Second Rule states, "Evolution is cleverer than you are."
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~