OS Survey

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.

What OS are you using?

Linux
29%
Windows
62%
MacOS
10%
FreeBSD
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 21
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

OS Survey

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

For a while it seemed like a bunch of people I know have been switching to Linux (although one switched back. :( ) A friend of mine went to Linux, then I switched to Linux only and I later helped a friend switch to Linux. I remember way back we said that Windows 8 would push people to switch and now the end of support for Windows 7 might drive even more people to Linux. What are forum users using these days?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Shiro
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Re: OS Survey

Post by Shiro »

I use windows 7 atm (8.1 on laptop but its only for mail and skype so who cares)
I have tried Linux a few times in the past but honestly found it to frustrating and the community less then helpfull when it comes to helping out a Linux newb. None of the Linux books That was recommended and supposed to help you "Learn" Linux actually taught me what I need to know and want to know.

In the end the frustration of trying to do even a simple task like get my GFX drivers installed so I can run a game made me give up.

I guess if someone actually teaches me (I'm more practical) that Ill be more likely to use Linux.
Telegram user: @Shiro_snep
Fursuit Telegram Channel: Shiro_snep_Fursuit
SFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_SFW
SFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_SFW
NSFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_NSFW
NSFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_NSFW

Code: Select all

Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce ....
:start
taskkill /F Snep.exe
start Snep.exe
goto start
Darq
Species: Kitteh =3
Region: Gauteng

Post by Darq »

Need multi-select for dual booting...

Linux for productivity. Windows for games.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here.
Backpackcat. Enby, they / them. Telegram and Twitter: @Darq_At
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Darq wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:30 pmNeed multi-select for dual booting...
Alright. You can now vote for two options. But if you're using everything, lets just stick to the primary system.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

im not yet using mac for work but will be soon. but ive always gone with windows cuz its what I know.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Flaxney_2

Post by Flaxney_2 »

I use Linux at work for programming and Windows 10 at home for entertainment.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I switched to Linux on my laptop after I started using Linux on my server.
I liked the command line and the power of it.
But it got really frustrating doing simple things. Like I didn't like the Thundar File explorer that came with MX, so I switched to Dolphin. It broke so many things. Like I can't right click on my desktop.

I don't like how dated the interface feels. Doing normal things like installing software becomes a chore. Half of the command lines tuts that you find on the internet simply dont work, because they somehow became dated.
And the people that you ask for help talk to you as if you are a professional.

I like linux, but I won't be switching permanently.
I'm switching back to WIndoge, and keeping Linux on a bootable USB.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 amDoing normal things like installing software becomes a chore.
See that I just don't understand. Installing software on Linux is much easier than Windows because for most of it its just in the repositories. So you just click install and it gets installed and you can easily manage updates and dependencies of everything from one place. Windows does everything in a very fragmented manner which makes it much harder to look after everything.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 am
Adagio wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 amDoing normal things like installing software becomes a chore.
See that I just don't understand. Installing software on Linux is much easier than Windows because for most of it its just in the repositories. So you just click install and it gets installed and you can easily manage updates and dependencies of everything from one place. Windows does everything in a very fragmented manner which makes it much harder to look after everything.
Dependencies. Thats the thing.
Cause people depend on something being there, and then it's not. And everything breaks. I just plain gave up on making a caching server cause the dependencies just wouldn't work...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 pmDependencies. Thats the thing.
Cause people depend on something being there, and then it's not. And everything breaks. I just plain gave up on making a caching server cause the dependencies just wouldn't work...
They weren't there? That's confusing. Were you using special manual installs? Because I've never seen something in the repository have dependencies that weren't in the repository that would stop it from working.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

I use a mac for work and win10 at home.
I'd like to use a mac at home too, but I'd also like to not deal with the price-performance hardware situation regarding games and all that.
The continuity feature between iPhone and MacOS is wonderful, but not enough to give up everything the PC gives,
Win10 has its annoyances, but i'm 90% sure if there's a program I want it will run on windows.
Dual booting seems like a hassle, and there isn't enough reason to segment everything.
Only time I've worked with linux is when i had to study it for a month in uni
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Mac annoys me. Having gotten to work with it now... So I get it, it's a slick system. it works well. But it also has so much stupidity. it's expensive to start with, and while it offers you lots of nice add ons… when it breaks it breaks hard. windows let me use things made on mac and android and windows and everywhere. Mac gets upset at me for not having an iPhone...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso