Weird RAM Question

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Weird RAM Question

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I happened to look through my case window today and saw that for one of my pieces of ram the metal cover bits had fallen off. Is that a serious problem? I assume they are important for cooling. The other one is fine and, strangely, I think they fell of the newer RAM. I have no idea when that happened though and it all seems to be working fine. Should I try stick them back on or what? It looks like they have sticky strips on the inner surface.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Weird RAM Question

Post by Adagio »

It depends. Are you overclocking the RAM?
If not it shiuld be fine. But to be on the safe side I'd say take it back to manufacturer's. They're new. So if they're still under warranty...

Yeah the thermal pads. It's gonna be a bitbhard to find new ones. But you shoukd be able to track them down at an electronic component store?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Nothing is overclocked. I say the new one but that's just because they're different ages. I got it a while back. I could check the warranty though.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

It shouldn't be a problem... But I'd fix it just for incase. Engineers tend to design things whith certain perameters in mind....
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

No. It's fine. RAM coolers are 95% for looks on DDR3 and 99.9% for looks on DDR4.