Trying to get headphones to work

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Trying to get headphones to work

Post by Hargan »

So, I was gifted a set of Triton headphones, that when plugged into my pc via usb for power, make such an awful noise for some reason, even if no other plug is plugged in.

However, to make things more fun, my sound card slot only has 2 plugs, whereas the Tritons have up to 4. Now, I see I can plug it into a... do-hickey box, but only if my sound is digital, which I don't think it is. Old sound card.

So I have some questions:

Are there cables to turn microphone and sound jacks into a digital cable?
What could be making that horrible noise?
If I do stop the noise, what would be a good thing to do with the other two jacks I can't plug in?

Edit: I plugged the headset into a different usb port (part of a phone charger srota thing, not linked to pc) and the horrific sound stopped
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Re: Trying to get headphones to work

Post by Fluke »

You only need to plug in the green and pink 3.5mm jacks into the back of the computer sound card.

The others are pretty much useless. Headsets with "multiple speakers for surround" and other junk is just pointless.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Re: Trying to get headphones to work

Post by Hargan »

Update and Lifehack:

So, I've taken over my phone charger as the primary source of power for my headphones with a 1.8m long usb extension cord and sealed off the jack ends not in the thing with insulation tape, and it works.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power