Using a tablet in Gimp

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Using a tablet in Gimp

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I got my new drawing tablet today (XP-Pen Star 03) which is pretty cool. I just need to actually draw something now except I ran into a problem with Gimp. It doesn't recognise the pressure on the tablet. The tablet app does and so does Krita (just installed to check. I have no idea how to use it). The internet said you need to go into input devices and switch it "screen" but when I do that in Gimp it stops working at all. The cursor twitches like its shifting between tools, doesn't draw anything and sometimes stops any of the menus from working. I'm kind of at a loss here and need advice.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

Re: Using a tablet in Gimp

Post by Sudan Red »

Hmmm for my ill-fated Intuos, you could change/set the properties of the tablet for each individual programme. Maybe go into your tablet settings & see if the same is true for yours? Other than that, I don't have any better suggestions.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I have the same problem and haven't found a solution. I suspect completely uninstalling and reinstalling GIMP might work, but otherwise I'm told Krita is much better for illustration anyway.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Sudan Red wrote:Hmmm for my ill-fated Intuos, you could change/set the properties of the tablet for each individual programme. Maybe go into your tablet settings & see if the same is true for yours? Other than that, I don't have any better suggestions.
I didn't that but I don't think that's the issue. I think it's a problem on Gimp's side with how it takes input.
Leeward wrote:I have the same problem and haven't found a solution. I suspect completely uninstalling and reinstalling GIMP might work, but otherwise I'm told Krita is much better for illustration anyway.
I thought if anyone could help with this, it would've been you. I'd rather not have to learn how two things work at the same time.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm going to try again before giving up completely, I just don't have a solution as of yet. Busy with family stuff away from home at the moment.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

So my Wacom's driver stopped working and I ended up having to reinstall it. Unplug first, uninstall all drivers from Device Manager and anything tablet-related from your program list, re-download fresh new driver, restart, install new driver, and only then plug it back in. Check that everything still works after a restart and Bob's your uncle.

GIMP (which I didn't reinstall or change the settings of) recognises it perfectly now.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

o.0 Well that sounds weird. But it's worth a try over the weekend.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sadrok
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Anthro Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sadrok »

Leeward wrote:So my Wacom's driver stopped working and I ended up having to reinstall it. Unplug first, uninstall all drivers from Device Manager and anything tablet-related from your program list, re-download fresh new driver, restart, install new driver, and only then plug it back in. Check that everything still works after a restart and Bob's your uncle.

GIMP (which I didn't reinstall or change the settings of) recognises it perfectly now.
ho lee kurappu! at least you got it working.