USB Device not recognised (device descriptor request failed)

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

USB Device not recognised (device descriptor request failed)

Post by Sudan Red »

So I am really not in a great space. I finally got my new WACOM Intuos Art tablet last weekend. I installed it with no problems, and I was using it during the week. Yesterday or the day before, it just completely stopped working. I have tried getting the latest drivers from the WACOM website (twice), uninstalling from both Programme Manager as well as Device Manager, unplugging & replugging into different USB ports, restarting my PC etc etc. Windows 10 keeps telling me that the "USB device is not recognised (device descriptor request failed)".

I have waited so long and spent such a huge amount of money on updating my system to Windows 10 and getting a brand new WACOM. This is really killing me... Any ideas on what is wrong & how to fix it?
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Re: USB Device not recognised (device descriptor request failed)

Post by jacojerb »

Have you tried plugging it into another pc and seeing if that works? Installing the drivers there as well, of course

If it works there, the problem is on your PC's side. If it doesn't, the problem is with your wacom...

If the problem's on your PC's side, well, I'm no expert... Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers would've been my first advice, from program manager and device manager... But seeing as you've already done this, you may need a fresh install of windows... Which would be really annoying, and I'm sure someone else has a better solution

If the problem is on your Wacom's side, well, I'm sure it's still under warranty. Unless you got it second hand... In which case, I've got nothing
Mew?
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Usually it's a bad cable that causes "device not recognised" errors in my experience. Have you tried another cable?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

If I were you I would just get it exchanged, much less trouble.

Coincidentally, I also got a new Wacom Intuos Art a few days ago. Weird, eh?
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

I was taking my tablet to another computer to try jacojerb's & Adagio's suggestion. The cable wasn't connected to the device yet, because I figured that climbing in under a desk would be easier if the cable was loose. Plugging in ONLY THE CABLE results in the error message. WTF? Does this mean the cable is somehow defective? Buuuuut it was working this entire week and was hardly moved/messed with once plugged in.

It LOOKS like a normal microUSB port on the device (Lee - confirm?), but all of the alternative cables I have don't fit into the little socket (ie it isn't the connection that doesn't fit, the "casing" around the connection is physically too large for the connection to make contact at all).

Getting a replacement is less than desirable... My sister brought this one for me from England. Although I can send it back with her when she leaves next week, getting it back into SA via the postal system unharmed/unstolen is going to be a mission. :(
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Same cable as an Android phone, with little hooks on the end? That's microUSB. If its slightly larger and has dimples on the sides, that's miniUSB.

Try a new cable, micro and mini USB cables are a dime a dozen and cheap too.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

The Wacom tablets have a little recess the cable goes into... So some wont fit. Like the Samsung ones...
You can find a cable that works easily though. Cheepos usually fit well. And Sony phones work on my sisters...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I can corroborate. Just get a cheapie little MicroUSB that'll fit into the socket and try that.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I know my sisters Wacom uses mini-usb, not micro. It's the same size a lot of cameras, and PS3 controllers, use. Can easily get a replacement

Just google mini-usb and look at the shape, see if its your cable
Mew?
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

UPDATE

Blaaarrrggghhh... took cable & tablet to my local PC store. Cable gives same error message on their store computer. We tried several other microUSB cables, even one that had no casing whatsoever, but none of them fit into the recess far enough to make contact & power the tablet to test it.

No reply from WACOM yet, so I'll prod them again tonight on my options (return/replacement/repair).
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

MiniUSB cable.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Fluke wrote:

MiniUSB cable.
Thats a miniUSB not a Micro...

Sudan. I may have one that'll work. I'll test it on my sisters tablet. And bring it to you?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Yes it is a MiniUSB cable. That's why I said its a miniUSB cable.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

We had just established that it was a MicroUSB. I have literally the exact same tablet.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Sorry I cannot make this clearer, I might be confusing folks by not knowing the correct industry terms. It isnt the FITTING (microUSB vs miniUSB) that is the problem. The CASING(?) around the fitting doesn't fit into the recessed socket of the tablet. The casing around the miniUSB cable Fluke linked to would definitely not be accomodated by the recess anyway. Lee is quite correct - it is a microUSB fitting that is needed and one with a ridiculously narrow casing to boot. For deeeeep penetration (oooo-er).

Adagio - that would be very kind. I don't mind buying a new WACOM cable, but I don't know if the tablet itself is borked too. We're taking it to an outlet today to see if they can assist, so I'll let you know.

EDIT:
Like this one here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MYM13 ... ref=plSrch
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

UPDATE (sorry for double post)

Took tablet to an outlet, but Wacom doesn't distribute parts in South Africa. They also didn't have a loose cable to test the tablet.

So I contacted Amazon. I juuuust slipped under the gate with a return/replace. Of course this means I get to spend insured courier fees and have to wait another month for my tablet, but thems the breaks.

Thank you so much everyone for the advice & support. I appreciate it! Sorely disappointed that I won't be able to enjoy my tablet just yet!