CS:GO Unstable

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

CS:GO Unstable

Post by Adagio »

Ok... I don't understand this...
Maybe you guys can shed some light for me?

I've been playing a lot of CS:GO lately... And it keeps crashing for no reason.
Sometimes in game... Sometimes while quickly checking a message. Sometimes when I launch a game... Usually when transitioning from CS:GO to Windows...

It also loads VERY long. (Ask Rakuen...) Like 3 minutes...
I got that down to about 1 minute... But still...

What I did so far.

Fresh install. Didn't work(Made the load times slightly better though.)
Moved to another HDD(Thought it may have been the OS hogging the HDD for some things...)

I havent updated drivers yet... I'ma do that now... But it's probably not that...

What it MAY be is my RAM... BUt I can't check the RAM usage while In Game...

I have Core i5 3470
GTX680
4GB Standard RAM(No fancy heatsinks)@ 1600MHz

I tested my disks with Crystal Disk Info. Yeah one did mention it had way too many relocated sectors... (Probably from my sister dropping it repeatedly...) But that disk isn't used in this instance...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: CS:GO Unstable

Post by Leeward »

If you're alt-tabbing between the game and your OS and they're not running at the same (preferably your screen's native) resolution, you'll be straining the crap out of your graphics driver.

Also you can get some kind of system status overlay tool to check your system resource usage at any time. Here's a how-to: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... ng-Overlay
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Leeward wrote:If you're alt-tabbing between the game and your OS and they're not running at the same (preferably your screen's native) resolution, you'll be straining the crap out of your graphics driver.

Also you can get some kind of system status overlay tool to check your system resource usage at any time. Here's a how-to: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... ng-Overlay
I'm running both at the native resolution of my screen, IE 1680x1050...

I use an android app... But I'll check that out! Thanks!
I've been looking for something like that... Preferably something that'll use a second screen...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

CS:GO Requirements wrote:MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 15 GB available space
CS:GO is an old game with low requirements. You're easily meeting the requirements. It's also pretty stable. I'm not sure I've had it crash at all and I also alt-tab in and out all the time. I would guess that the problem is something with your system, though I'm not sure what.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Adagio wrote:What it MAY be is my RAM... BUt I can't check the RAM usage while In Game...
Perhaps you could open task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), open the 'Performance' tab and leave it running in the background? Should the game crash, you can then read the memory usage history graph and see if there are any odd spikes in memory usage. Each column of blocks represents approximately 5 - 6 seconds. If you stretch the graph horizontally, you can see quite an extensive usage history. You can also monitor CPU, disk and physical memory usage in more detail in the resource monitor, though that shows the record of usage for only the last 60 or so seconds. Though, of course, that would be a possible solution on Windows 7 or Vista, which I doubt you are using. =/
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:CS:GO is an old game with low requirements. You're easily meeting the requirements. It's also pretty stable. I'm not sure I've had it crash at all and I also alt-tab in and out all the time. I would guess that the problem is something with your system, though I'm not sure what.
Well... Prelims are looking good... The Graphics Update might have done the trick....

I'll play a game and see how it goes...
Attachments
Though a RAM upgrade is definitely in order...
Though a RAM upgrade is definitely in order...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

XD I suppose it works for later versions of Windows, as well. I work on Windows 7 (I tried 10 briefly, but it was incompatible with my graphics tablet, which is old enough to fool most archaeologists into thinking I bought it from a shady smuggler of ancient Egyptian artifacts), so I was not sure if my suggestion would work. Let's give it a spin and see what happens!

We'll have the game run smoothly, yet! ;)
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Galahad wrote:XD I suppose it works for later versions of Windows, as well. I work on Windows 7 (I tried 10 briefly, but it was incompatible with my graphics tablet, which is old enough to fool most archaeologists into thinking I bought it from a shady smuggler of ancient Egyptian artifacts), so I was not sure if my suggestion would work. Let's give it a spin and see what happens!

We'll have the game run smoothly, yet! ;)
Hahaha! Usually I use this app on my phone that sends all the stuff through WiFi. Even GPU usage and temps... But that isn't working right now... I don't know why...

Gameplay seemed stable enough... Loading time was still longer than necessary... But fine... I can live with that...
RAM didn't go to 100% as far as I know...