Weird speaker issue

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Weird speaker issue

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I have a problem with my external speakers. They are generally fine but they give me some problems, with making weird crackly noises from time to time if I am using my headphones and occasionally the left speaker will just stop working entirely. (They get power and connect to the PC from the right speaker, the left speaker just connects into the right speaker.) I'm guessing this is because I leave them plugged in permanently and just plug and unplug my headphones as needed (only use it for Counter Strike so I can tell the direction of sounds and use the mic) and let the computer switch the output. I'm not sure if it's relevant but the speakers turn themselves off when they have nothing to do. But here's the weird bit. If I take out and replace the left speaker jack it will immediately start working again. But I can also get it to work again by going into the audio settings and switching amplifier settings from "auto switch" to "front panel" and then back again. But having to fix it is really annoying and I'd much rather it didn't go off at all.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Weird speaker issue

Post by Adagio »

So...
1.) Occasionally make crackling noises when headphones are plugged in
2.) Left speaker will sometimes not work.
3.) Powersave mode issues...?

It should be normal for the powersave mode to disengage when a plug is removed... Because it causes a voltage spike... (it's the bane of anyone that ever needed to do a hotswop at a live event.... @_@)

And switching the output source also usually causes a voltage spike... Usually heard as a thump on the speakers...

The crackling could be as complicated as a bad DAC in your sound card. Or as simple as a broken cable. I'd need to know more about that to troubleshoot.
Does it only happen when the headphones are plugged in?
Or when you move them around? And perhaps only the left speaker making the noise?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:If I take out and replace the left speaker jack it will immediately start working again. But I can also get it to work again by going into the audio settings and switching amplifier settings from "auto switch" to "front panel" and then back again. But having to fix it is really annoying and I'd much rather it didn't go off at all.
This makes me think it's a driver issue. Try updating your sound card drivers or using the latest Realtek ones.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio wrote:3.) Powersave mode issues...?

It should be normal for the powersave mode to disengage when a plug is removed... Because it causes a voltage spike... (it's the bane of anyone that ever needed to do a hotswop at a live event.... @_@)

And switching the output source also usually causes a voltage spike... Usually heard as a thump on the speakers...
The power save stuff generally works fine. That's not an issue, except that they turn on to make weird noises while the headphones are plugged in. I hear that thump when switching to the speakers.
Adagio wrote:The crackling could be as complicated as a bad DAC in your sound card. Or as simple as a broken cable. I'd need to know more about that to troubleshoot.
Does it only happen when the headphones are plugged in?
Or when you move them around? And perhaps only the left speaker making the noise?
DAC? Only when the headphones are plugged in. I never move the speakers. I can't say I've noticed if it's both or just one making the noise.
Leeward wrote:This makes me think it's a driver issue. Try updating your sound card drivers or using the latest Realtek ones.
Well, that's certainly the simplest. Windows says it's the latest version but I'll try looking around to see if it really is.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Faulty 3.5mm / RCA connectors. Replace the cables.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

If it's the cable, how come I can fix it just through the software? In any case, it's not a removable cable.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You can replace the connectors though, with the right tools.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Manually leave it at the rear panel then
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

USB or do they plug into the 3.5 mm audio jack?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

3.5mm cable.

Although I did notice I made a mistake earlier. It wasn't the left speaker cable I took out but the full audio in to the right speaker. The left speaker connects with a different kind of cable. So actually I could replace the cable that connects the PC and the speakers but I still doubt that would affect much as I can fix the issue by fiddling with the software. They are Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II 2.0.

I could actually try plugging the headphones straight into the speakers. It would be a horrible mess cable wise but perhaps it will solve my issue. I'll give that a try. Nevermind, then I can't use the mic.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

All that i can think is windows powersaving stuff messing with your sound card over time. What sample rate are you running under advance speaker properties?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

24 bits, 96000Hz. I had previously tried to set it to the maximum but that messed with some games. :/
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Try it at 24bit 48khz and check if it is better.

Those high sample rates are mostly for recording within a controlled studio environment with balanced cables and such. Even if some dumb audiophiles with 0 knowledge of sound engineering argue otherwise. You lose fidelity with sample rates that smears itself into the ultrasonic spectrum thanks to electrical interference harmonising with the audible range.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Don't bother with 24bit. Just set it to a divisible of 16 bit. So most likely 16bit and 44.1-192Khz if you have onboard audio still. I think I am running 32/192khz on my DAC.
ValkyrieMatt
Species: Dragon

Post by ValkyrieMatt »

We'll I saw something in a youtube video recently. Try opening your speakers and check if the ground of the aux cable is actually grounded.