A question about WIFI

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi
Region: Gauteng

A question about WIFI

Post by rusted hydra »

So its possible to record when a device connects to wifi. Right? and write a script that will record when said devices connect
Now can a wifi be restricted to only allow connections within a 5m radius?

Its to do with creating a sort of tracker system to track if a worker is at his/her station instead of wadding about not doing their job

and specifically wifi cause said work station is by a fuel pump and certain signals have been know to trigger fires.
Wifi so far seems 99% safe around fuel
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: A question about WIFI

Post by Leeward »

AFAIK a wifi transceiver can tell the signal strength and latency... you should be able to calculate distance with that information, given access to it.
vakie
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Fox

Post by vakie »

Technically possible but takes some know-how. As far as I know, you can try to do it with software by using the signal strength and latency as Leeward said or you could also try to shorten the range by getting a weak antenna and then dampening it some more.
-Something profound-
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Well... Interisting...
Hmmm... Latency is one way of doing it... ICASA does it by Dopler. They have 4 antennas in close proximity to one another, and by switching between them they can determine through some trigonometry the distance and direction of wireless signals.

Doing this with a WIFI connection though...

You CAN however use very directional ansennas to only supply wifi to the cubicles. Like the grid I posted earlier...
Or something like a Ubiquity Nanostation m5 that has a wider range, but still usable.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

So there is directional wifi? could I possibly take an antenna and jab it into the roof pointing down?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

If you need to track your workers like that then there's probably a much bigger problem in the company that needs to be addressed.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Ziea Ebbon wrote:So there is directional wifi? could I possibly take an antenna and jab it into the roof pointing down?
Yep!! Ubiquity's stuff are the easiest and cheapest for this... But if you wanna put a panel above every desk... It's gonna cost you...

Not to mention health problems... With the 29dBi antenna set up in my room, I get headaches...
But I may he imagining myself... These things do run on flea-power... Miliwatts... But stil highly focused...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I am currently a little shorthanded on hands-on technical experience in that regard, so the feedback of others takes priority. However, if you are using the latency method, I would be happy to attempt the mathematics behind it for you, if you need assistance. :3