CD-ROM/DVD drive not reading everything

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

CD-ROM/DVD drive not reading everything

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I don't often use cds or dvds anymore, other than to backup things, but I've noticed a problem I sometimes get that I just don't understand. My laptop won't read some cds. I put them in and the drive spins (a lot) for long periods of time but nothing happens (other than the disk getting extremely hot). The disks are not scratched or anything, last time that it happened I had just inserted the disk earlier, been told it was blank and burned a backup on it. I then re-insert the disk and nothing happens, it can't read the disk it just burned. And the disks are fine, I tried them on another computer at home and they read perfectly. Any advice?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Coyote

Re: CD-ROM/DVD drive not reading everything

Post by DesertYote »

Sounds like the problem system likely has a bad unit. I had a near identical problem about a year ago, and wound up having to replace the drive. It was diagnosed as either a bad connection (wires) or the laser which had burned out.

'Yote
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Post by anoyomouse »

I had a cdwriter that stopped working because the cache chip had reached it's 1000 write cycles and died on me.

i've seen laptop drives end with the same fate, CD rom drives and dvd drives are ... disposable, which is now why they are so cheap ;)
~~~(___^> *squeak*
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Coyote

Post by DesertYote »

anoyomouse wrote:I had a cdwriter that stopped working because the cache chip had reached it's 1000 write cycles and died on me.

i've seen laptop drives end with the same fate, CD rom drives and dvd drives are ... disposable, which is now why they are so cheap ;)
Ha! I remember when that wasn't the case. But you're absolutely right - these things are very disposable. Sure, it might not be convenient to have to go out and get a new one every few months, but for the prices they come at now, it's not really a problem.

'Yote