corrupt boot drive

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Durosuka
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Liger
Region: Gauteng

corrupt boot drive

Post by Durosuka »

maybe you guys can help. the internet isn't showing anything.

first my bootmgr was reported missing. not much of an issue I thought I'll just re write it from recovery consol. that didn't work.
i fired up windows recovery tool, selected my windows drive, and got told my windows isn't compatible.

at the consol a second time. I have full acess to the drive and ALL files on it. all 3 partitions seem to work just fine. but the recovery tools such bootrec /fixboot /fixmgr and /rebuildbcd isn't doing anything

now I get a disk read error on bootup. as if the disk is corrupt. but its not. from my linux live cd I have full access to the drive and all 3 partitions and all file!

reformatting isn't realy an option. I have no backup options. I can use a re-install with all files going to windows.old folder but that always leaves bugs and I realy don't to lose all my programs now.
I am also running CHKDSK /R /X from the recovery consol

any help is apreciated.
---------------------------------------------

current system if needed
windows 7 ultimate sp1 64-bit
asus MB
AMD 8-core
8GB RAM
the broken drive is follows
2TB, barely a year old
250GB partion - windows
250GB partion - stuff files
1500GB - steam, backups and installs
Time to change
Durosuka
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Liger
Region: Gauteng

Re: corrupt boot drive

Post by Durosuka »

never mind I fixed it.

how, you may ask?

well after messing with a partition active/inactive manager, deleting and re creating the boot sector I finally took a peek in the windows DVD and found a bootmgr file

copy-past in all 3 partitions of my boot HD, it worked. though it glitched at first slightly. I no longer have a windows logo on boot. its a small green progress bar. the same one for win vista.

I'm gonna curl up in a ball and watch some anime
Time to change