Internet prices

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Internet prices

Post by jacojerb »

I need help. My parents think I'm using too much internet and I'm afraid they'll kick me off some time soon. I really dont use that much internet, but anyway...

In the event I get kicked off, I'll probably need to start paying for my own internet. We dont have a line, so it has to be 3g, and I dont think I can have a contract (no credit card, work history etc.)... So, what can I do. I'm currently on vodacom with my phone, was thinking of using that as a router, then checked their prices... http://www.vodacom.co.za/personal/phone ... ardprepaid

Is this really what I'll have to pay? Is there no cheaper place? Or any other way?

Also, not sure where this should have gone, I suppose internet kinda counts more as software...
Mew?
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...

Re: Internet prices

Post by Gothic Collie »

Cell C is currently the cheapest with there OOB rates at just 15c a meg, so I would recomend them,8ta has some very good data bundle deals
if youyou get coverage, visit mybroadband.co.za regularly and see whats cheaper...

PS talk to them about getting a land line and adsl , uncapped is dirt cheap at the moment..
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I'd say you're gonna need a lot of research on what you want.

3G is expensive. Mobile data is the most expensive data in this country. Each subscriber has its own advantages and disadvantages as well. you're also going to have to look at signal strength. If you want to play games online, you're gonna have a really hard time finding the best deal.

I'd say go for whoever is the cheapest based on how much data they offer compared to the price but still keeping in mind the signal strength and whatever modem they are going to supply you with.

If possible, go to a mall or something and see if you can find people there that know of the technical details.

8ta has some nice once off data packages and Cell C is cheaper. Neither company has particularly good signal strength bus some areas have
Time to change
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

"getting a land line"... Apparently Telkom doesn't install those any more...

Damn, did some research, my parents were lying, they do still install them, will ask them later...

Well, my parents decided to just turn of the internet while they're gone, so I'll just not have internet in the day... Not worth it to buy my own internet anymore. Except, I did see a contract at vodacom, 500mb for R70 pm, if I can convince my dad to just subtract that from my pocket money... Meh, I'll still need to think about it
Mew?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

You could supplement your internet time by using your local library (it's free), although librarians tend to be prissy about what you use their computers for. Believe me, I know. I got kicked out for browsing harmless webcomics while a bunch of kids were pirating Britney Spears songs just one PC over. Typical. :roll:
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Here in Toronto we're paying C$30 for 30mbit/s down and 5mbit/s up c: