Wireless connections

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Wireless connections

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Most of my connections are wireless. I usually chat using my phone and mig33 and when I do go on the internet I use a wirless lan to connect to the modem on the other end of the house. The downside is these connections aren't too reliable at times (read when the weather starts getting bad like now). In fact the signal of the modem has been too weak to connect from my room lately and I was wondering if there is a way to boost the signal strength without moving the modem? I know moving it would be best but it needs to stay plugged in the desktop pc and the cord isn't too long.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: Wireless connections

Post by Valerion »

I am providing wireless access to my LAN to a friend of mine in the same complex, and I installed a wireless AP a while back. I found the easiest way to get a better connection is to install a higher-gain antenna. I am not at home right now, but I think I put in a 7dBi gain antenna. Allows my cell to work anywhere in my unit, and gives some connectivity outwards, enough for my neighbour to connect at full speed with.

The main thing about wireless stuff is to get a line-of-sight. Remember that every wall cuts the range by a certain amount, as does every floor (especially the reinforced ones). So if you can have the signal go through doors/windows/cupboards you will get a better signal than through walls.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

So you have to actually get a better transmitter. That's a pity. To get to me the signal does pass through a few walls or roofs or other funny things.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

I simply bought a larger antenna with higher gain to replace your current one with, the cost was something like R300, IIRC. However, just make sure it works on your wireless equipment before you buy.
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Dracius »

Yep, Valerion is very much correct. I too have a high gain antenna installed on my AP and it works really well.

Raki, let me have the model number of that router so I can attempt to source you a bigger antenna. They are around R200-R300.
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I'd rather not. No income so spending money is something I avoid unless really necessary. The router is some one telkom installed that acts as the adsl modem.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Dracius »

Ahhh. well, if you want to go with the cheapest possible method, an arrangement of foil reflectors might work. >..> Is the router's anntena removeable? if it is, you might just be able to get away with an extension cable.
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I don't think it is. If I keep having problems I'll just tell my dad to buy a cable to link to my room. When we built the house we included a space for cables to make a computer network. No point having a hole in the cupboard for nothing.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~