Windows 8 = boost for Linux?

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Windows 8 = boost for Linux?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I'd like to see Linux expand greatly as I think it's an important move for free and open access software and the entire open access concept (which is also a big topic in science publishing). I've been using both Linux and Windows on different systems, mainly keeping Windows around to play games but a Facebook link has raised my hopes that that might not be necessary in the future, all thanks to Microsoft.

By trying to be a tablet and desktop OS, Windows 8 has upset a lot of people, for example the executive vice president of game design from Blizzard, managing director of Valve and CEO of Stardock. So there's a lot of bad feeling about the new OS which could drive developers to Linux!

Adding to that discontent it seems Valve has found that it's Source engine runs faster using OpenGL, which is on Windows, Linux, Mac and smartphones, than Direct3D, which is exclusive to Windows.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows wrote:With an Nvidia GTX 680, Intel i7-3930k, and 32GB of RAM, Windows 7 and DirectX, Left 4 Dead 2 maxes out at 270.6 fps. With the same hardware, but different software — Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenGL — L4D2 scores 315 fps, almost 20% faster than Windows.
With all the web-based services around it's also becoming simpler for people to use any OS as they just need a browser. In fact the EU has forced Microsoft to offer different browsers. I'm not expecting a sudden increase in games for Linux or a sudden upsurge in popularity but knowing is half the battle.

If you haven't ever looked at Linux it might be the time to do that. You could even do it for patriotic reasons, Mark Shuttleworth owns Canonical which provides support for the Ubuntu Linux distribution. Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 are both scheduled for release in October.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...
Region: Gauteng

Re: Windows 8 = boost for Linux?

Post by Gothic Collie »

For the first time since 1996 , I wont be upgrading to the newest version of windows as soon as its released.

The whole interface is a POS (And yes I did actually try metro), its clearly aimed at touch screens like M$ "Surface" but on my non-touch 32" never mind my 41" monitors it just doesnt work, metro needs to be junked and M$ should leave the start menu alone!

So I am sticking to Windows 7 until M$ stops supporting it, then I will migrate over to Linux (Probably Fedora) as my servers have been running it for years anyway.

Edit: And dont get me started about there "Store" that sort of thing should be left to apple, no OS dev should have full control.
Durosuka
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I have always upgraded my windows. Even windows Vista. yes I installed it the day it came out. got all my games and programs running without an issue. but windows 8.... No.

I got my hands on fedora 14 a while back and almost got most of my stuff working on it except for poor ATI driver support. I'm a gamer, without graphics card drivers, the OS is useless to me. I have since just got a laptop with linux to just tinker with.

Now that Linux has become more DirectX friendly as well as drivers becoming more suitable I am considering a migrate, or at least some form of dual boot. I dunno about the rest of you but I've also seen that some game development studios have become more Linux friendly as well.
Time to change
slacker
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Lion

Post by slacker »

Linux shouldn't need to be DirectX friendly. Thanks to that piece of hog-tied crap windows has a monopoly on the PC gaming market. Fortunately OpenGL is catching up, making the need for expansive libraries like DirectX unnecessary.

The big thing is that the world's markets wants to see pcs turned into consoles. Where your "PC" is a docking station for a tablet. Turning your mobile into your all you need platform. Even ubuntu linux proves this with their Unity desktop.

So I'm a bit skeptical on where IT is leading the user market lately.
Durosuka
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I know linux doesn't have to be direct x friendly and I know openGL is catching up. Looking at some PS3 games, openGL is already there.

My problem is that all my games I enjoy are direct x based. Thats why I want a D3D and Dx friendly masjine. I'm a gamer and most games are openGL... For now at least. I've seem some developers moving to openGL systems as its free and saves on money
Time to change
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...

Post by Gothic Collie »

Durosuka wrote:My problem is that all my games I enjoy are direct x based. Thats why I want a D3D and Dx friendly masjine. I'm a gamer and most games are openGL... For now at least. I've seem some developers moving to openGL systems as its free and saves on money
Wine is getting better by the day, I found that most of my favorite games are now supported by it, so have a look at there compatibility list: http://appdb.winehq.org/

For those that dont know Wine ,is a windows emulator for linux it includes a directX wrapper that wraps DX9 and a bit of 10 to openGL so a lot of games supports it, most of the Valve games and even newer games like Wow, Bioshock 1,2, Gothic3 ,Skyrim, COD MW3 and a Star wars: The old Republic
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Steam for Linux! + people form steam said they did not like windows 8.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Steam-Box

I have been using windows 8 for a month now.
going back to 7 soon :/

Figuring the controls out is a small hassle.
The real problem is its stability.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

dont trust reviewers purely on single systems etc when its OS vs OS.
I hate w8, used it on a laptop for a bit now. hate hate hate it.

I dont see windows falling from this tough, hey, its always good-bad-good-bad-etc with MS.

And video card drivers on Linux are still a pain to get working, but at least its not as bad as it used to be.