Excel Help

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Excel Help

Post by Hargan »

Right, so I'm running a small program on excel, and need a bit of help. This will probably get confusing very quickly :P

A2 and A3 are input squares.

By placing a correct value in A2, P5 will look for a complete correspondence from the list located in A100:A139 and search for a value located in the second column of the table located A100:D139 by way of the program: =IF(A2=LOOKUP(A2,A101:A139),VLOOKUP(A2,A101:D139,2),"Not Found"), resulting in an either or case, where it either fits and gives the resulting result or respond by placing "Not Found" in P5 to show that there is no correspondence. P6 and P7 have similar equations but look for values in the third and fourth columns (by changing the last number in that equation before "Not Found" to 3 and 4 respectively).

That part works.

P8-P10 Have a similar situation for input of A3, where they too look for items from a table. This table is A142:D208. They use the equation =IF(A3=LOOKUP(A3,A142:A208),VLOOKUP(A3,A142:D208,2),"Not Found"), and changing each time to find the third and fourth columns again.

This works.

Where it fails: I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get a preliminary check that runs alongside P8-P10's equations (the second one) that first checks to see if the results of P8-P10 (individually) equals one of P5-P7's results, and thus would replace the result in P8-P10 with something along the lines of "Duplication".

Anyone got ideas? I tried an If statement (gotta remember what I wrote, was a whole 24 hours ago >>) to look for it, but it didn't search P5-P7's statements, it searched the whole of both tables and would always respond with "Duplicate" even in cases where I could see there wasn't one (Don't ask me how I did this).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Hargan

Re: Excel Help

Post by Hargan »

And now the second Equation has stopped responding >>

The second equation results in half the table being read >>

So if anyone has any solutions, please help.

Splitting the table into 2 did not help either with half of it being read. And yes, it was worknig yesterday. I switched off, switched on, not working. Yes, i saved before leaving and shut down properly
Edit:

I tried something drastic...

I put the table in alphabetical order. It worked >> So all I need to do now is work out the original equation problem I had (see first post)

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Sounds really complicated. I did some training stuff with excel but probably not at that level. Even if I could help I doubt I could do it from the forum.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Hargan

Post by Hargan »

Ok, I solved it by splitting it into two separate formulae. But if anyone knows how to do it in one shot, I'd still like to learn