So it's time for a new computer.

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Dragonwolf
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon Wolf Hybrid
Region: Gauteng

So it's time for a new computer.

Post by Dragonwolf »

As the title says, I need a new computer. Been seven years since my last one and I wouldn't say that one was the best. I want to be able to play all my games on steam. ^^. I'm tired of lag and I want this to be able to last.

So here is my list of my computer parts I'm thinking about getting.

Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

Western Digital WD30EZRX Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 5400-7200rpm

Coolermaster Storm Scout - Red ATX Case ASE FRch-Cscwn

Antec High Current Pro 80PLUS Gold Certified Quad 12V Rail 750w PSU FRPS-A750HCPEM

LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS70

MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Coolermaster Geminll M4 Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel & AMD Processor

What is your opinion on these parts?

And tell us about your dream machine. I'm sure all of us are interested,
"We should stop being envious of others and start being more accepting of ourselves."

Did I get that right?... The mic was off? What do you mean it was OFF!
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Re: So it's time for a new computer.

Post by Splicer-Fox »

The great thing about games for the PC is that most games don’t need that much power.

All you need a nice entry level PC of between R6500 and R9000 to get something that will last 2 to 4 years. (Depending on how technology moves forward)

I usually like to make IT boffins fight over what they think are the best PC parts and then build my PC.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Very similar to what I have. Nice selection.

I would replace the HDD with a 2TB black WD, though, if it's your boot drive. Greens haven't worked quite as well as boot devices. If it's for data storage, then it's fine.

I have the CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer, and I find my rig to be very heavy. Just make sure how much your case weighs.

Also, take note of the fact that the i7 2600k's memory controller is only rated for 1333MHz memory, and Intel recommends against running your RAM at 1600MHz. I also have similar RAM modules, but decided to downclock them to 1333 instead. This may save you a few bucks. Also - do you have a reason for needing 16GB? I find that 8GB is more than sufficient for my use.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Dragonwolf Lord wrote:As the title says, I need a new computer. Been seven years since my last one and I wouldn't say that one was the best. I want to be able to play all my games on steam. ^^. I'm tired of lag and I want this to be able to last.

So here is my list of my computer parts I'm thinking about getting.

Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

Western Digital WD30EZRX Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 5400-7200rpm

Coolermaster Storm Scout - Red ATX Case ASE FRch-Cscwn

Antec High Current Pro 80PLUS Gold Certified Quad 12V Rail 750w PSU FRPS-A750HCPEM

LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS70

MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Coolermaster Geminll M4 Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel & AMD Processor

What is your opinion on these parts?

And tell us about your dream machine. I'm sure all of us are interested,

Change the HDD to a 1TB WD Black for a boot drive, or 1TB Samsung F3. They are great boot drives, then pick up a 2TB WD Green for storage.

I would HIGHLY recommend looking at the Corsair cases, amazing quality, amazing service and they look amazing. Look at the 600T.

Change the motherboard to either ASUS P8P67 Pro, EVGA P67, ASROCK P67 or Gigabyte P67 UD5. I would recommend the ASUS P8P67 Pro as it is very cheap and one of the best P67 boards. Stay away from MSI.

Change the GPU to ASUS/MSI/Sapphire. Stay away from XFX and other brands. XFX have been known for really cutting down quality.

2600K is good, but for games a 2500K will be the same (and a lot cheaper, heck might be better too as no HT means a lot less heat means more of an overclock. It is well known that most 2500K's can hit 5Ghz on air, but 2600Ks struggle with that.)

Change the CPU cooler, the one you listed is very outdated. Look for something like a Corsair H60/70/80 or Megahalem / Silver Arrow / Thermal Right TRUE120.

As for my dream machine?

It'd be this:

With a Funktion One Infrabass 218 sub and Resolution One speaker set <3

Also replace the XSPC block with an Acetal EK block for the CPU and GPUs.

Also replace the GTX580 with GTX680s :p
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Valerion wrote: I have the CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer, and I find my rig to be very heavy. Just make sure how much your case weighs.
Storm's not heavy, try my 800D. 47KG.
Valerion wrote: Also, take note of the fact that the i7 2600k's memory controller is only rated for 1333MHz memory
Every single modern CPU is, it is the 'recommended' speed that the memory module WILL work with the RAM.
Valerion wrote: I also have similar RAM modules, but decided to downclock them to 1333 instead. This may save you a few bucks. Also - do you have a reason for needing 16GB? I find that 8GB is more than sufficient for my use.
Why downclock? I have 2133Mhz 9-10-9-22-1 @ 1.525v. Far above recommended :p
Having slow RAM (ie below 1600Mhz for gaming) is not nice. ~8GB 1600Mhz is all you need, ignore what Intel says with recommendations. They just have those in place for absolutes. ie, it WILL work with that speed no matter what.

Sandy Bridge can go up to 2400Mhz. That is the max non-overclocked supported RAM speed. Overclocked you could get to 2520Mhz if you're really lucky. (Overclocking the base clock, but that is highly not-advised as it will lead to HDD instability and other instabilities.)

I would stick with 2x4Gb 1600-1866Mhz G.Skill RipJaws or Corsair Vengeance.
Dragonwolf

Post by Dragonwolf »

Oh wow. I totally forgot that I posted here. Thank you all for your input. Haha. But I went 16GB RAm cause why the heck not. I was tired of always having 2GB and all those page faults would kill my speed so now I never have to worry.

Yeah I totally should have gone for the smaller sized HDD. Windows 7 can't handle anything above 2.2TB if it's the primary drive. So now I'm like using a really old 200GB SATA seagate HDD for my boot drive. And OMG I totally forgot the little sounds that HDD's made. It gives my gaming rig this real... um... Rustic? feel to it.

Ended up with a Powercolor HD 7950 Graphics card

and

Intel® Desktop Board DZ68ZV

Oh, are DVD drives suppose to be so loud. Like really. I put a cd in and vrrrrRRRRRRRR is all I hear, haha.

But with all this, My stuff got delivered (already put together... I wanted to try do that) and I forgot to get myself a copy of Windows 7 and a new screen. I was so bummed that I couldn't use my machine right away. But keyboard and networks card are on the way. Oh did you know they are putting on onboard networks cards now. Yea, only found out after I order myself one. Darn it.

Now need to get myself some headphones and a sound card. Also a screen.

I was looking into this, what do you think:

Asus Xonar Xense - premium gaming audio Set - with Sennheiser PC-350 gaming headset

Samsung c23A550U 23" LED wide monitor

or

LG W2261VP-PF , 21.5" wide screen

The Xonar seems like a deal. You buy each separate and it will cost over R4000 but you buy it together and it comes to just over R2000.

Thanks for all your input.
"We should stop being envious of others and start being more accepting of ourselves."

Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Dragonwolf Lord wrote:Oh wow. I totally forgot that I posted here. Thank you all for your input. Haha. But I went 16GB RAm cause why the heck not. I was tired of always having 2GB and all those page faults would kill my speed so now I never have to worry.

Yeah I totally should have gone for the smaller sized HDD. Windows 7 can't handle anything above 2.2TB if it's the primary drive. So now I'm like using a really old 200GB SATA seagate HDD for my boot drive. And OMG I totally forgot the little sounds that HDD's made. It gives my gaming rig this real... um... Rustic? feel to it.

Ended up with a Powercolor HD 7950 Graphics card

and

Intel® Desktop Board DZ68ZV
Dude, that motherboard you CANNOT overclock on AT ALL. Get a real motherboard. What is your CPU anyway?

Dragonwolf Lord wrote: Oh, are DVD drives suppose to be so loud. Like really. I put a cd in and vrrrrRRRRRRRR is all I hear, haha.
Yes

Dragonwolf Lord wrote: But with all this, My stuff got delivered (already put together... I wanted to try do that) and I forgot to get myself a copy of Windows 7 and a new screen. I was so bummed that I couldn't use my machine right away. But keyboard and networks card are on the way. Oh did you know they are putting on onboard networks cards now. Yea, only found out after I order myself one. Darn it.
Lol they have been doing that since like 2002

Dragonwolf Lord wrote: Now need to get myself some headphones and a sound card. Also a screen.

I was looking into this, what do you think:

Asus Xonar Xense - premium gaming audio Set - with Sennheiser PC-350 gaming headset
No. Overpriced and not that good.

Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD555. I can guide you through a mod for making that setup almost perfectly balanced. (I have that in my gaming PC)

Dragonwolf Lord wrote: Samsung c23A550U 23" LED wide monitor

or

LG W2261VP-PF , 21.5" wide screen
Get the Samsung, they're amazing value for money.

Dragonwolf Lord wrote: The Xonar seems like a deal. You buy each separate and it will cost over R4000 but you buy it together and it comes to just over R2000.

Thanks for all your input.
That's because it's a crap headset and the soundcard is pretty overpriced anyway. My setup gets better / same quality for less. Plus it's balanced.
Dragonwolf

Post by Dragonwolf »

Fluke wrote:Dude, that motherboard you CANNOT overclock on AT ALL. Get a real motherboard. What is your CPU anyway?
I have the Intel Core i7-2600K
Well I have the motherboard already and they have a program that helps you overclock it. I've never done over clocking before so I have no clue what to do, haha.

Okay I've looked at the Sennheiser reviews and you might just be right. So now I'm looking at razor. What do you think of them? I'm swaying more towards the Carcharias more than the Megalodon. Plus this would go nicely with the BlackWidow keyboard I just got. (I love birthday money, gives you that final edge to get all the things you have been saving for ages for)

I have to say that the mechanical keys feel so nice. I can't wait to try it out.
Fluke wrote:Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD555. I can guide you through a mod for making that setup almost perfectly balanced. (I have that in my gaming PC)
Okay well the Xonar DX is out of stock and so only the D1 is left. How does that compare? Is it still as good?

Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Dragonwolf Lord wrote:
Fluke wrote:Dude, that motherboard you CANNOT overclock on AT ALL. Get a real motherboard. What is your CPU anyway?
I have the Intel Core i7-2600K
Well I have the motherboard already and they have a program that helps you overclock it. I've never done over clocking before so I have no clue what to do, haha.
That motherboard has VERY weak VRMs so I would not overclock at all on that motherboard. You should get a ASUS P8P67 or ASUS P8P67 PRO.
Dragonwolf Lord wrote: Okay I've looked at the Sennheiser reviews and you might just be right. So now I'm looking at razor. What do you think of them? I'm swaying more towards the Carcharias more than the Megalodon. Plus this would go nicely with the BlackWidow keyboard I just got. (I love birthday money, gives you that final edge to get all the things you have been saving for ages for)

I have to say that the mechanical keys feel so nice. I can't wait to try it out.
I have the Black Widow Ultimate, it's really a nice mechanical keyboard. Don't go for any 'gaming' headset, they really are not nice. HD555 is best bang for buck. I got mine for R1200.
Dragonwolf Lord wrote:
Fluke wrote:Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD555. I can guide you through a mod for making that setup almost perfectly balanced. (I have that in my gaming PC)
Okay well the Xonar DX is out of stock and so only the D1 is left. How does that compare? Is it still as good?
No, get the DX.

Here:
http://www.landmarkpc.co.za/store/asus- ... 6c10c6eb15