Windows 7

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Windows 7

Post by Ryall »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:... Apparently I am strange because Vista was my favourite Windows version and I think Win7 is the worst one I've ever had to use.
You are strange :? ...
Hahaha! :lol:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: ZAfur Gladitorial Arena Deathmatch

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Ryall wrote: You are strange :? ...
Vista - Nice new features, kept enough of the familiar functions, looked way better than before.
Win7 - Horrible new features, tossed out all pretence at customisation, lost good features
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Vista - Nice new features, kept enough of the familiar functions, looked way better than before.
Win7 - Horrible new features, tossed out all pretence at customisation, lost good features
Are you sure?
My home PC is XP and my work PC is Vista but I do get to use a Win7 PC every now and again.
Hmm... it is like that thing where Firefox inexplicably does not work for some people for no apparent reason.
Maybe you got a bad copy, virus or faulty PC...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Splicer-Fox wrote:Are you sure?
My home PC is XP and my work PC is Vista but I do get to use a Win7 PC every now and again.
Hmm... it is like that thing where Firefox inexplicably does not work for some people for no apparent reason.
I'm sure.
They removed the ability to manually arrange icons by design.
They added libraries even though they are pointless if you don't use multiple folders.
They don't let you enable/disable manual arrangement or libraries because they don't care how you like it.
They made a very fiddly explorer toolbar so that you no longer have useful locations at the top but have to scroll all over to find them.
They only allow you to link to libraries on your start menu, not to the actual folders.
They chucked out windows movie maker. Not necessarily a good programme but nice if you just want to mess around.
They stopped letting you deselect items by clicking blank parts of the screen in certain explorer views.
They don't have a confirm shut down button when the shut down button is huge compared to the button that gives you the sleep option.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: I'm sure.
They added libraries even though they are pointless if you don't use multiple folders.
They don't let you enable/disable manual arrangement or libraries because they don't care how you like it.
They made a very fiddly explorer toolbar so that you no longer have useful locations at the top but have to scroll all over to find them.
They only allow you to link to libraries on your start menu, not to the actual folders.
They chucked out windows movie maker. Not necessarily a good programme but nice if you just want to mess around.
They stopped letting you deselect items by clicking blank parts of the screen in certain explorer views.
They don't have a confirm shut down button when the shut down button is huge compared to the button that gives you the sleep option.
Damn! there is something up with the one you used.
so you could not view by or move icons and it wont let you shut down?
that is a definite WTF there.
But it is more likely someone was screwing with your settings.
Looks like you got strange luck when it comes to OS.
It is a real shame that you have to resort to Vista.
All you need is a proper copy of 7 then you can drop vista like a bad habit.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Splicer-Fox wrote:so you could not view by or move icons and it wont let you shut down?
You can't manually arrange icons in explorer. It's not a bug, I went onto the Microsoft forums and they said they removed that feature by design.
And it does let me shut down but there's no confirm box and the shut down button is so much bigger than the area that lets you select sleep, so its easy to misclick.

None of the things are bugs they are all Microsoft's stupid design choices.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:You can't manually arrange icons in explorer. It's not a bug, I went onto the Microsoft forums and they said they removed that feature by design.
And it does let me shut down but there's no confirm box and the shut down button is so much bigger than the area that lets you select sleep, so its easy to misclick.

None of the things are bugs they are all Microsoft's stupid design choices.
Okay...
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Splicer-Fox wrote:Are you sure?
I'm sure.
Lies, blatant, off-topic, unadulterated lies! Except the movie maker... it doesn't come with W7 no but one of the windows updates is Microsoft Silverlight which does come with that sort of stuff should you wish.
I can enable a confirm shut down in my control panel, you can manually arrange icons, you can adjust folder viewing options in your control panel, and you most certainly deselect items by clicking in open space (look, see? I just did it now), and the customization on top of that if quite extensive - everything looks very, very pretty on my pc thank you very much.

Unlike Vista however, it doesn't crash the whole time, it's not this inefficient resource whore, it doesn't take up space with useless apps like movie-maker, it doesn't have MASSIVE compatibility issues with everything, and it's networking protocols aren't nearly as annoying and unreliable.

What version did you use? Pre-alpha home-edition W7? (please, nobody use home edition it would be better to use DOS) :geek:

I forgive you Rauketh for using Linux, because the only person you're hurting by doing so is yourself.

*Heavy, Dutch-Reformed Church, deep, male voice* I don't care what religion you believe in hey, but when you dispute my Lord Jesus, then we have a problem. Just watch yourself or you'll be picking your teeth up off the floor. My Lord, will NOT be mocked!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Ryall wrote:I can enable a confirm shut down in my control panel
I'll have to check that then.
Ryall wrote:you can manually arrange icons
No you can't.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... b533864dc7
"however, if the drag and drop arrange feature is one that you would like reinstated, please feel free to leave your suggestion at Windows 7 feedback."
Ryall wrote:you can adjust folder viewing options in your control panel
Not sure which of my complaints this is meant to apply to but if you have a solution please tell me.
Ryall wrote:and you most certainly deselect items by clicking in open space
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 4b70c94374
"Selecting full row is by-design; there is no option to disable it. As a work around there are many third party tweaks which can be installed and disable it. You may use your favorite search engine and install the same. "
Ryall wrote:What version did you use? Pre-alpha home-edition W7? (please, nobody use home edition it would be better to use DOS) :geek:
Don't feel like going upstairs to check but I believe it is premium edition.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

More off topic - for a moderator, this seems very counter-productive :P

*Yawn* Rauken, next time post a useful link like a link to a live-stream site so that I cam stream my Windows 7 deselecting items when I click in open space. I do it all the time, and never downloaded a 3rd party app to do so.

The only thing I cannot do is manually position files anywhere in a folder ( oh noez :roll: ), however, I CAN manually order the files themselves in any order I chose as seen here:
W7P1.jpg
W7P2.jpg
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

I see a Split Thread looming in the very near future... :P *subtlewarningsmilie*
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Keita Haruka wrote:I see a Split Thread looming in the very near future... :P *subtlewarningsmilie*
Mmhmm ... into /dev/null perhaps ...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Re: Windows 7

Ryall wrote:More off topic - for a moderator, this seems very counter-productive :P
I didn't expect it to keep going for so long. It's been split now anyway.
Ryall wrote:*Yawn* Rauken, next time post a useful link like a link to a live-stream site so that I cam stream my Windows 7 deselecting items when I click in open space. I do it all the time, and never downloaded a 3rd party app to do so.
Not in the same row though. If you could why are there multiple topics about it on Microsoft's help forum? And why are the Microsoft moderators telling everyone it was designed that way?
Ryall wrote: The only thing I cannot do is manually position files anywhere in a folder ( oh noez :roll: ), however, I CAN manually order the files themselves in any order I chose as seen here:
Still looked alphabetical to me. And I don't want it ordered. I want to be able to manually move them. Windows 7 only allows them to be ordered. There's a huge difference. Also I don't want libraries, I spent forever making work around so I can avoid them. They aren't what I want but Windows doesn't care about what users want.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Ryall wrote:More off topic - for a moderator, this seems very counter-productive :P

*Yawn* Rauken, next time post a useful link like a link to a live-stream site so that I cam stream my Windows 7 deselecting items when I click in open space. I do it all the time, and never downloaded a 3rd party app to do so.

The only thing I cannot do is manually position files anywhere in a folder ( oh noez :roll: ), however, I CAN manually order the files themselves in any order I chose as seen here:
Visualize what you want to achieve Ryall.
Then look what has been done.
Do you still think you can help?
This could form part of the believe vs. proof tread.

But the point is now:
Are you really going to achieve your goal?
Maybe you should stop before.............................................................................
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Nice new avatar Valerion btw, very nice indeed. :)
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Ryall wrote:*Yawn* Rauken, next time post a useful link like a link to a live-stream site so that I cam stream my Windows 7 deselecting items when I click in open space. I do it all the time, and never downloaded a 3rd party app to do so.
Not in the same row though. If you could why are there multiple topics about it on Microsoft's help forum? And why are the Microsoft moderators telling everyone it was designed that way?
Maybe they're talking about an earlier version (didn't check the time-stamps); maybe they use home-edition; maybe they haven't even installed whichever service-pack or maybe my Microsoft mouse drivers just come with this nifty feature where regardless of what files I select in what row, or in any row/column combination. I am doing it right now infact. That, and all my friends who use W7 I know from experience at LANs (when I pioneer their computers) and the lack of complaints from them online, have this feature as well, so perhaps your complaint is just out of date?

I'm calling you out Rauken. Choose a livestream website of your choice, and I will show you this 'bizarre' phenomenon first hand. :P

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Ryall wrote: The only thing I cannot do is manually position files anywhere in a folder ( oh noez :roll: ), however, I CAN manually order the files themselves in any order I chose as seen here:
Still looked alphabetical to me. And I don't want it ordered. I want to be able to manually move them. Windows 7 only allows them to be ordered. There's a huge difference. Also I don't want libraries, I spent forever making work around so I can avoid them. They aren't what I want but Windows doesn't care about what users want.
That's because it IS alphabetical (that's how I like to order my folders) but if you look at screenshot 2 (sc1 just shows you how to get there) all you need to do is un-check auto-summary and push that to the top, or if you chose you can push ratings to the top then manually assign each item a rating, and in doing so, manually order them
If you don't want to order it manually, but wish to sort it, then as you saw that list is pretty massive and so you can come up with a MASSIVE amount of combinations to sort items.
Manual order and Massive sorting possibilities.

As for libraries... well, that's a matter of preference. Personally,I love libraries as I folder all my files very categorically, and find it incredibly useful to be able to access and edit various programs and software.
However, the amazing W7 does cater for your every need! Want to access any and every program without having to use that pesky explorer!? Then look no further!
There are 3 amazing ways to do this all viewed right here:

1.The start menu itself (anything can be pinned to it)
2.The tabs you can create filled with only exe.s, pictures, or whatever else you want
3.You can pin any file, exe or folder to your desktop bar (you will notice on mine, I have pinned permanently 'my documents', steam, firefox, WOW, SC II, windows live and Skype. you could fit as many apps in as you like however, arrange them as you like (it does not sort them) and chose different display modes and icons for them)

All Seen here in this picture, all completely customizable
W7 no libraries.jpg
However, if this is the stuff that sells you on an operating system, it seems to be that you're missing the bigger picture here:

-Incredibly stable (It hasn't crashed once for me yet - only 3rd party apps crash occasionally but they also do so on my brother's mac-book)
-Highly compatible (You don't need special versions of rune or any other app, and it can run many apps vista cannot)
-Very efficient (W7 is a smooth ride, unlike vista)
-Amazing support (constant software updates and upgrades, security notices, good customer service and can even automatically update your gfx card drivers for you etc.)
-Amazing flexibility (not the kind of Linux illusion of flexibility where it comes with nothing and you duck-tape on everything you want)
-Great for networking
-64-bit Oh yeah!

Need I say more? Not to mention that a lot of hardware, and certainly my hardware, is optimised for W7 (i5 processor, g-force gtx 260)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Ryall wrote:Maybe they're talking about an earlier version (didn't check the time-stamps); maybe they use home-edition; maybe they haven't even installed whichever service-pack or maybe my Microsoft mouse drivers just come with this nifty feature where regardless of what files I select in what row, or in any row/column combination. I am doing it right now infact. That, and all my friends who use W7 I know from experience at LANs (when I pioneer their computers) and the lack of complaints from them online, have this feature as well, so perhaps your complaint is just out of date?
Possibly it's been fixed in an update, I don't know. I don't use rows when I browse folders. I like medium icons for everything and thumbnails for pics and videos.
Ryall wrote:I'm calling you out Rauken. Choose a livestream website of your choice, and I will show you this 'bizarre' phenomenon first hand. :P
I don't use livestreaming/youtube. It's called an internet cap.
Ryall wrote: That's because it IS alphabetical (that's how I like to order my folders) but if you look at screenshot 2 (sc1 just shows you how to get there) all you need to do is un-check auto-summary and push that to the top, or if you chose you can push ratings to the top then manually assign each item a rating, and in doing so, manually order them
If you don't want to order it manually, but wish to sort it, then as you saw that list is pretty massive and so you can come up with a MASSIVE amount of combinations to sort items.
Manual order and Massive sorting possibilities.
So you want me to rate things to order them? That's a lot of work for something I need to do quickly when fiddling with multiple files. I want to be able to move them freely, like you do on the desktop (and could do in every previous version) but in the explorer windows. So if I want three files to be next to each other I can quickly just drag them next to each other.
Ryall wrote:As for libraries... well, that's a matter of preference. Personally,I love libraries as I folder all my files very categorically, and find it incredibly useful to be able to access and edit various programs and software.
However, the amazing W7 does cater for your every need! Want to access any and every program without having to use that pesky explorer!? Then look no further!
That doesn't make sense to me. If you want them in category folders then a library defeats that purpose. And if you want them all together just put them in the same folder. The main problem with libraries is that Windows won't let you disable things. It doesn't care about users.
Ryall wrote: All Seen here in this picture, all completely customizable
Not all customizable. The Documents/Pictures/Music links on the right-hand side can only link to the libraries. I want them to take me directly to My Documents like they always used to, something the people at Microsoft couldn't even comprehend when I brought it up.
Ryall wrote: -Incredibly stable (It hasn't crashed once for me yet - only 3rd party apps crash occasionally but they also do so on my brother's mac-book)
-Highly compatible (You don't need special versions of rune or any other app, and it can run many apps vista cannot)
-Very efficient (W7 is a smooth ride, unlike vista)
-Amazing support (constant software updates and upgrades, security notices, good customer service and can even automatically update your gfx card drivers for you etc.)
-Amazing flexibility (not the kind of Linux illusion of flexibility where it comes with nothing and you duck-tape on everything you want)
-Great for networking
-64-bit Oh yeah!
-It's sad that the selling point is that it doesn't crash. That should be a given. It's like selling a car with the point that it moves. It's only that Windows historically crashes that that even needs to be brought up. Just for interests sake Linux is generally accepted to be far more stable and runs servers for years at a time.
-I ran Vista on a laptop and I never really had any huge performance issues. As far as I've heard it started buggy but was all fixed up with the service packs.
-There's a difference between amazing support and controlling the market so much that everyone's too scared to use anything else.
-What kind does it come with?
-How?
-Hardly unique.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Take a hint Ryall!
he does not want you to help him because he is happy with Vista.
I does not matter how much proof or help you going to give him.
He does not care.

He will have to get to know the pros and cons of operating systems on is own.

Like I said:
I sill use good al XP pro with service pack 3.
Why? because I met Vista and had my faith crippled after that. (so i never bothered to get 7)
but now. I am starting to feel the pressure to upgrade to 7. (i would like to see DX10 graphics run on my PC)

Anyway...
Rakuen doesn't need cool features and compatibility he will never use BUT on the other had he my wish he had them later on.
I guess all he really wants is a free operating system like Linux.
But now you see what a mission it is causing with Rune. (you are likely to struggle running other games we might play as well).

But I do agree with Ryall on Vista. (the PC used to type this post is running vista)
you will hit a wall with it.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:-It's sad that the selling point is that it doesn't crash. That should be a given. It's like selling a car with the point that it moves. It's only that Windows historically crashes that that even needs to be brought up. Just for interests sake Linux is generally accepted to be far more stable and runs servers for years at a time.
-I ran Vista on a laptop and I never really had any huge performance issues. As far as I've heard it started buggy but was all fixed up with the service packs.
-There's a difference between amazing support and controlling the market so much that everyone's too scared to use anything else.
Now you are making shit up man!
maybe you should prove it.
- A operating system is not like a car
- ALL operating system crash even Linux(depends what you run it on and what you do. - and yes I would know).
- AHH! look I am starting to behave like Ryall.

OK! here is my ending argument!
suffer in your own ignorance. (both of you! - and all of humanity)
I got and work with all these OS's mentioned and experience their pro's and con's on a weekly basis.

Eh? Why the hell did I want to post here again? I am just wasting my time. (I must be bored).
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

<<EDIT: Sorry Splicer-Fox I had already written this when I saw you posted>>
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Possibly it's been fixed in an update, I don't know. I don't use rows when I browse folders. I like medium icons for everything and thumbnails for pics and videos...
...Not all customizable. The Documents/Pictures/Music links on the right-hand side can only link to the libraries. I want them to take me directly to My Documents like they always used to, something the people at Microsoft couldn't even comprehend when I brought it up.
:lol: What, like this?
W7 Folders.jpg
Note it does not say Libraries>Documents like in previous posts but straight 'Matt(administrator)>My Documents'
P.S. I can access those folders starting at my C drive in 'my computer' in explorer or directly from my start menu.
It's becoming more apparent that you're talking about an OS you obviously know very little about. No wonder the people at Microsoft had no clue what you were talking about. Maybe if you had done your homework...
Ryall wrote:I'm calling you out Rauken. Choose a livestream website of your choice, and I will show you this 'bizarre' phenomenon first hand. :P
I don't use livestreaming/youtube. It's called an internet cap.[/quote]
It won't take long, I promise...

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: So you want me to rate things to order them? That's a lot of work for something I need to do quickly when fiddling with multiple files. I want to be able to move them freely, like you do on the desktop (and could do in every previous version) but in the explorer windows. So if I want three files to be next to each other I can quickly just drag them next to each other.
That's a completely arbitrary, inefficient, resource hog...Sides, if you're in such a hurry why not just sort by date modified or something? I find it hard to believe that you could not find a sorting category that would suite your needs immediately

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: -It's sad that the selling point is that it doesn't crash. That should be a given. It's like selling a car with the point that it moves. It's only that Windows historically crashes that that even needs to be brought up. Just for interests sake Linux is generally accepted to be far more stable and runs servers for years at a time.
-What kind does it come with?
-How?
-Hardly unique.
-What a WEAK analogy, and you know it. No, I believe a a more appropriate analogy would be like marketing that your cars will never break down despite clocking up massive amounts of mileage and through tough conditions - perhaps you should contact JEEP and let them know that their marketing campaigns over the past few years have been making a moot point. Your response would be appropriate to me saying "W7 is an operating system that can operate."
-Never really had any huge performance issues? Sounds like you're doubting yourself there? Sides, what did you run on it, Microsoft Word?
-Quite right those are completely different things (not mutually exclusive things either mind you) so I am not sure what point you're making? Still great support.
-A lot more than what Linux comes with I can tell you that much.
-Not sure how much experience you have had LAN'ing but the network drivers for other OS's such as vista are slow and overburdened with useless checks in comparison to W7, much like Airport security I believe. Throw in stability issues like drops, trouble finding other computers and issues with certain ports and that about sums it up. Did I mention slow? All of the above mentioned in contrast to W7.
-True, not unique but I never said it was. So how does Linux do with 64-bit? Cause W7 does great!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Ryall wrote::lol: What, like this?
Yes. I know how to make it look like that. I was mentioning I don't use the rows.
Ryall wrote:Note it does not say Libraries>Documents like in previous posts but straight 'Matt(administrator)>My Documents'
P.S. I can access those folders starting at my C drive in 'my computer' in explorer or directly from my start menu.
It's becoming more apparent that you're talking about an OS you obviously know very little about. No wonder the people at Microsoft had no clue what you were talking about. Maybe if you had done your homework...
Okay. How do you make it go straight there from the start menu?
Ryall wrote:That's a completely arbitrary, inefficient, resource hog...Sides, if you're in such a hurry why not just sort by date modified or something? I find it hard to believe that you could not find a sorting category that would suite your needs immediately
Because I use it for sorting. I have enough resources to do it. When I sort pics I want to move the same artist together and then arrange it so I can easily pick all of certain kinds and move them where they need to be etc. Or sometimes I might just want two files I'm busy using close to each other so I don't have to scroll around and find them.
Splicer-Fox wrote:OK! here is my ending argument!
suffer in your own ignorance. (both of you! - and all of humanity)
I got and work with all these OS's mentioned and experience their pro's and con's on a weekly basis.
o.0 I've been using Windows all my life, I still have Windows 3.11 on an old system in a cupboard. I used Vista on my laptop for over two years, till it wouldn't start up after a crash. Not quite sure what happened there. Anyway then I gave it Linux and have been using that the past few months. I've also had Windows 7 on my desktop for the past few months. I know how they all work.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:o.0 I've been using Windows all my life, I still have Windows 3.11 on an old system in a cupboard. I used Vista on my laptop for over two years, till it wouldn't start up after a crash. Not quite sure what happened there. Anyway then I gave it Linux and have been using that the past few months. I've also had Windows 7 on my desktop for the past few months. I know how they all work.
If you do: then why all the problems?
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Okay. How do you make it go straight there from the start menu?
Simple: there are two methods.
1.You can open up explorer and simply drag and drop any folder or file from any drive from explorer onto the start-menu, and you can see it there (highlighted in blue, unfortunately my cursor does not show up in the screen-shot). I obviously used My Documents for this example to answer your question but it works with anything. This is the best, most direct answer to your question however.
2. You can right click on the documents library tab seen on the left. Then open properties, and where you see 'library locations' you will see a list with like 'c:\users\public' and 3 options: save location, include a folder and remove. Simply remove all the folders, then add the one you do want say 'c:\users\Matt\My Documents' and save that. It says 'libraries locations' but ignore that; next time you click on that tab it will open the 'c:\users\Matt\My Documents' folder in explorer.
My Documents.jpg
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: o.0 I've been using Windows all my life, I still have Windows 3.11 on an old system in a cupboard. ...Not quite sure what happened there. Anyway then I gave it Linux and have been using that the past few months. I've also had Windows 7 on my desktop for the past few months. I know how they all work.
We've all been using using Windows our whole life, and one of my brothers and father are both MAC fanatics so I have to deal with the MAC OSs all the time, and I used Linux Ubuntu and Linux Native for 6 months this year at a very specific computer lab at UCT as part of a IT/programming course. Splicer's already stated his credentials. We all know how they work, just you seem to know the least here, and wonder why people think you're strange when you say you think Vista is the best Windows operating system ever, and that Linux is the shiz.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: ...I used Vista on my laptop for over two years, till it wouldn't start up after a crash...
Typical. A lot of earlier Windows versions, including Vista, just slowly 'decay' over time, causing it to run slower and slower and eventually not at all, and the only way to fix it is with a reinstall. There are 3rd party programs that will help give ur installation a good scrub and slow the process but yeah. This doesn't happen with the likes of W7 - much more stable, much more efficient. Just another reason why it is better.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Splicer-Fox wrote:If you do: then why all the problems?
...because they removed the features I liked.
Ryall wrote:Simple: there are two methods.
1.You can open up explorer and simply drag and drop any folder or file from any drive from explorer onto the start-menu, and you can see it there (highlighted in blue, unfortunately my cursor does not show up in the screen-shot). I obviously used My Documents for this example to answer your question but it works with anything. This is the best, most direct answer to your question however.
2. You can right click on the documents library tab seen on the left. Then open properties, and where you see 'library locations' you will see a list with like 'c:\users\public' and 3 options: save location, include a folder and remove. Simply remove all the folders, then add the one you do want say 'c:\users\Matt\My Documents' and save that. It says 'libraries locations' but ignore that; next time you click on that tab it will open the 'c:\users\Matt\My Documents' folder in explorer.
1. Not quite the solution I wanted and not the neatest looking solution. Oddly enough I don't remember considering it.
2. That was one of the things I tried. If I remember the whole it being a library folder made it not work the normal way. What Windows should do is ignore the whole library thing if you only have one folder and just take you straight there.
Ryall wrote:We've all been using using Windows our whole life, and one of my brothers and father are both MAC fanatics so I have to deal with the MAC OSs all the time, and I used Linux Ubuntu and Linux Native for 6 months this year at a very specific computer lab at UCT as part of a IT/programming course. Splicer's already stated his credentials. We all know how they work, just you seem to know the least here, and wonder why people think you're strange when you say you think Vista is the best Windows operating system ever, and that Linux is the shiz.
Well Vista hardly gave me any problems and was user-friendly. I didn't say Linux was the best thing ever but I've found it far nicer to use than Windows 7. I know how to use the system's, the entire point of my complaint with Windows 7 was the bad feature designs and them removing stuff I liked. No matter how much you know about the OS if it doesn't have a feature you can't use that feature.
Ryall wrote:Typical. A lot of earlier Windows versions, including Vista, just slowly 'decay' over time, causing it to run slower and slower and eventually not at all, and the only way to fix it is with a reinstall. There are 3rd party programs that will help give ur installation a good scrub and slow the process but yeah. This doesn't happen with the likes of W7 - much more stable, much more efficient. Just another reason why it is better.
Well people haven't run Windows 7 that long... But anyway I decided I either had to reinstall Vista, buy 7 or go for Linux. I didn't want to bother with all Windows stupid issues so I went for Linux and it's mostly been a good decision.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: ...because they removed the features I liked.
But Ryall just showed you them. O_o
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Splicer-Fox wrote:But Ryall just showed you them. O_o
He showed me approximations to them, not the actual features that were removed. I already got things to approximate what I wanted, which required editing the registry.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: He showed me approximations to them, not the actual features that were removed. I already got things to approximate what I wanted, which required editing the registry.
???
um... Okay......
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: 1. Not quite the solution I wanted and not the neatest looking solution. Oddly enough I don't remember considering it.
2. That was one of the things I tried. If I remember the whole it being a library folder made it not work the normal way. What Windows should do is ignore the whole library thing if you only have one folder and just take you straight there.
1. You can make it quite a bit of neater by removing all the 'documents, pictures, music etc.' tabs on the right and then assigning any icon you want to any of your pin-ups.
2. Um... I'm not quite sure what you mean - it does take you directly into the folder. Explain?
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Well Vista hardly gave me any problems and was user-friendly. I didn't say Linux was the best thing ever but I've found it far nicer to use than Windows 7. I know how to use the system's, the entire point of my complaint with Windows 7 was the bad feature designs and them removing stuff I liked. No matter how much you know about the OS if it doesn't have a feature you can't use that feature.
It shut down and stopped working - that sounds like a problem. Linux is far nicer to us-... Linux is rubbish that's why you don't have to pay for it.
Bad feature designs? Removed stuff you liked? 2/3 of the features you liked are still there, and the only one that's not there is that desktop-like folder movement for explorer but that feature was a bunch of ass - no offence. If that sells an OS to you then you're crazy :P If you knew more about the OS you would know that those 2 features did in fact exist and that 7 is vastly superior to Vista, and so it wouldn't surprise you when people tell you that your taste in Windows Vista is strange.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Well people haven't run Windows 7 that long... But anyway I decided I either had to reinstall Vista, buy 7 or go for Linux. I didn't want to bother with all Windows stupid issues so I went for Linux and it's mostly been a good decision.
It's been running for for just over a year now and is still as fast as the day it was installed - that's more than I could say for Vista. It sounds a bit like you are trying to justify your use of Linux under false pretences: you use it because it's free. But hey, say what you want that's just what it sounds like...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Ryall wrote:2. Um... I'm not quite sure what you mean - it does take you directly into the folder. Explain?
I'll have to go back and look again but I remember that was one of the things that I tried when I first got 7 and still didn't like it. Can't remember why though. And it's not directly to the folder it's to the library, even if that library is only showing one folder. That's not the same thing.
Ryall wrote:It shut down and stopped working - that sounds like a problem. Linux is far nicer to us-... Linux is rubbish that's why you don't have to pay for it.
After two years and not necessarily a fault of the OS itself. I'm not sure what caused it to crash.
Ryall wrote:Bad feature designs? Removed stuff you liked? 2/3 of the features you liked are still there, and the only one that's not there is that desktop-like folder movement for explorer but that feature was a bunch of ass - no offence. If that sells an OS to you then you're crazy :P If you knew more about the OS you would know that those 2 features did in fact exist and that 7 is vastly superior to Vista, and so it wouldn't surprise you when people tell you that your taste in Windows Vista is strange.
User-friendliness helps sell an OS. I don't see this vastly superior bit, I find it less intuitive and don't see any major improvements. There are only two reasons I'm still using Windows at all, and one is rather superficial. Firstly I use it to play games, unfortunately something it's superior at, and secondly I like the file information displayed at the bottom of the explorer window, particularly when tagging pictures. Other than those two features I don't see any reason why I should use Windows rather than Linux.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

This was certainly an interesting discussion / semi-argument / feature-bashing to read. I've picked up some very good points here =3

My 2 cents: I use Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on my laptop, and Ultimate 32-bit on my home PC. My old laptop was a great measure of how Windows 7 runs smoother and faster. My original Performance Index on my old laptop was 2.0 under Vista Business, and after formatting and installing 7 Ultimate it shot up to 2.9. No hardware alterations whatsoever.

As for all the features discussed, i've never even noticed some of the removed features, and i welcome the Libraries section - tho it DID take some time to set up properly.
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Wow 45% improvement! That's very impressive Wolfers :)
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I'll have to go back and look again but I remember that was one of the things that I tried when I first got 7 and still didn't like it. Can't remember why though. And it's not directly to the folder it's to the library, even if that library is only showing one folder. That's not the same thing.
It is completely the same thing though - it is just a normal explorer window. The only problem I can think of that you are trying to describe is that it won't allow you to open an explorer file that is not 'included' in the library, but the library can include anything you want it to so that seems a bit redundant. Otherwise the only other thing I can suggest is that you were using some pre-service pack version of W7 - it sounds like you used W7 sometime last year, and considering it was only released for retail in October... - in which case, there's a lot of double standards floating around this discussion, as Splicer and I used serviced Vista versions, and the Linux Native has been well established, yet you're talking about some outdated version (I know the beta has been floating around since 2008 so perhaps that even)?
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: After two years and not necessarily a fault of the OS itself. I'm not sure what caused it to crash.
Well you made it clear that it wasn't the hardware seeing as you reinstalled it and it worked... :roll:
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: User-friendliness helps sell an OS. I don't see this vastly superior bit, I find it less intuitive and don't see any major improvements. There are only two reasons I'm still using Windows at all, and one is rather superficial. Firstly I use it to play games, unfortunately something it's superior at, and secondly I like the file information displayed at the bottom of the explorer window, particularly when tagging pictures. Other than those two features I don't see any reason why I should use Windows rather than Linux.
User-friendliness is quite open to subjectivity: personally I find the MAC OS fairly intuitive; Linux rather alien, and Windows (in particular Windows 7) very intuitive, but that's just my opinion. I can't argue which is most intuitive for you, so you will just have to take it in faith when I say that I lot of people find Win 7 the most user-friendly Microsoft OS thus far, after all, we live in a age where 'accessibility' and 'streamlining' are the new buzz words and rhythm to which the corporate world dances.
Not only user friendliness, but performance and stability - if you need a high-end computer to run an OS like you do with Vista, then that's not very accessible is it?

If you can't read that original list of features I mentioned, and what Spilcer-Fox and Wolfers have said about Windows 7, and if you base you opinions off outdated versions of a product, then I don't think you will ever see any reason why you should use Windows Rather than Linux, but then, going back to your original statement, you shouldn't be surprised when people call you strange for saying that Vista is the best Windows you've ever used, and W7 is the worst. We have reasons for our belief, and the general consensus around the world is that W7 is better than Vista, and that Windows and MAC OS (e.g. Snow Leopard) are better than Linux (which is free). But this discussion wasn't really about Linux to begin with...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Ryall wrote:If you can't read that original list of features I mentioned, and what Spilcer-Fox and Wolfers have said about Windows 7, and if you base you opinions off outdated versions of a product, then I don't think you will ever see any reason why you should use Windows Rather than Linux, but then, going back to your original statement, you shouldn't be surprised when people call you strange for saying that Vista is the best Windows you've ever used, and W7 is the worst. We have reasons for our belief, and the general consensus around the world is that W7 is better than Vista, and that Windows and MAC OS (e.g. Snow Leopard) are better than Linux (which is free). But this discussion wasn't really about Linux to begin with...
I got it five months ago, it is not some old version. And I've been using Windows for years, so my assessment of Windows also includes how they have historically behaved. Obviously what you think are useful features I don't, and the inability to choose how an OS works is a major drawback. General consensus really doesn't mean that something is better, just that it is more popular. On that note though you will find that most servers and supercomputers are running Linux.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~