Easter Art Competition Voting

Where the brave denizens of ZA Fur battle it out in contests of skill to earn the winner's golden crown.

Which is your choice to win the Easter Art Competition?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 am

Cape Fox Entry #1
32%
Trace Entry #1
5%
Trace Entry #2
5%
Animew Entry #1
9%
Sudan Red Entry #1
45%
Leeward Entry #1
5%

Total votes: 22
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Easter Art Competition Voting

Post by Leeward »

Ryall wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:41 pm You're all joking right?
I was. See the shrug?

I'm generally not a sore loser, I was just genuinely interested in getting a critique, because I really struggle to get any.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

Post by Trace »

Splicer-Fox wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 pm I voted for Trace 2 because I thought it was the nearest thing to a Jew being executed.
Maybe-Cute-Easter-Thing1.png
nailed-to-the-cross.png
I Guess the bunny is happy because he was resurrected?

And the slight incline of the background there represents the hills of Golgotha? (Where the Romans did their thing Romans do?)
Haha, oh my goodness.
I was wondering who voted for my second picture. I will admit, I had not actually planned any of that out, it was just supposed to be a stereotypical "cute" Easter drawing.
I appreciate the notion that I had put that much thought into it, but I can't actually take credit for any accidental symbolism. Thank you, though. ^.^

I think everyone did a wonderful job. Personally, I liked all of the pieces that were submitted and had a lot of fun coming up with my own submissions. I would love to have been able to vote for multiple pieces.
I'm really looking forward to the next art competition, and hope that the turnout is as good as or better than this one.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
SilverFox12578
Species: Grey Fox

Post by SilverFox12578 »

Everyone really did do a wonderful job and I had a difficult time choosing who to vote for. XD
Cape's drawing made me laugh, I like Trace's art style, Animew's artwork was adorable and Leeward did a beautiful sketch.
In the end I voted for Sudan because I thought it was cute and I liked the atmosphere and colours the most.
They were all really amazing drawings, each with their own unique art style.
I don't really see any reason for all this drama. It was all for fun wasn't it?

I would have participated but I've been stuck doing assignments for collage. ^^" I still enjoyed watching everyone else participate.
I look forward to the next contest!
-Be Crazy
-Be Weird
-Be Awesome
-Be Yourself :)

Telegram: @Silverfox12578. YouTube: SilverFox. Deviantart: Silverfox12578.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

I can't believe the poor sportsmanship I am seeing from participants and spectators.
Too many people in this world take losing really hard,
Cape_F0X wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 pm So please people, DON'T TURN IT INTO DRAMA!
Sudan Red wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:04 pm C'mon guys, let's not spoil what was an otherwise Nice Thing (TM).
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am If anyone was wondering whether furs can turn a fun, little art competition into drama, the answer is yes.
SilverFox12578 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:08 pm I don't really see any reason for all this drama.
Owo what the actual fuck are you people on about? <w< there is no drama here, there is no bad sportsmanship here, just a community laughing together about silly shit. UwU/ chubs, i'm starting to get really worried about you. has something awful happened that shattered your naively joyful sense of humor recently? i mean really, why so serious fat man?
=w= unless you were just trolling up drama where there was none by merely suggesting that there was... if so, nice...
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am If anyone was wondering whether furs can turn a fun, little art competition into drama, the answer is yes.

I would certainly not say Cape Fox was being unsporting, I certainly read all his posts as very light-hearted. I think that goes for the majority of posts here. I don't want to have to step in over drama in this sort of thread of all things so, as the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."
I will concede I was unsure whether Cape Fox was being light-hearted towards his last few posts or not. I don't think Kievvu was. Arty definitely wasn't.
Leeward wrote:was. See the shrug?

I'm generally not a sore loser, I was just genuinely interested in getting a critique, because I really struggle to get any.
I said it was directed at Cape, Kievvu, and Arty. Why are you defending yourself?

I can't believe the poor sportsmanship I am seeing from participants and spectators.
Too many people in this world take losing really hard,
Cape_F0X wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 pm So please people, DON'T TURN IT INTO DRAMA!
Sudan Red wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:04 pm C'mon guys, let's not spoil what was an otherwise Nice Thing (TM).
SilverFox12578 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:08 pm I don't really see any reason for all this drama.

I would certainly not say Cape Fox was being unsporting, I certainly read all his posts as very light-hearted. I think that goes for the majority of posts here. I don't want to have to step in over drama in this sort of thread of all things so, as the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."
Animew wrote:Owo what the actual fuck are you people on about?
Shit, sorry! Alright, alright, I goofed that one and completely misread the tone of the posts: my bad. Everyone calm down. It's not drama if just one fur had a rant by himself. :oops: Sheesh, I feel like I took a matchstick to a police station, and they brought out the riot control vehicle and fired the water cannon at me. :P
Animew wrote:UwU/ chubs, i'm starting to get really worried about you. has something awful happened that shattered your naively joyful sense of humor recently? i mean really, why so serious fat man?
It's just you've been quite reasonable of late and this change in the status quo is really upsetting me. :(
Hahaha! :lol:
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Ryall wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:05 pmArty definitely wasn't.
Nah I am with you on this one, Ryall. As per usual, Arty dropped a turd and then ran away.

Arty - if you feel that something is unfair, please explain why you think so. I am sure future contests can be improved & more fair? Remember, this was the first one so there are bound to be kinks that need to be ironed out.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

He thinks it's unfair because we're all deliberately ignoring an elephant in the room, namely the political element.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Leeward wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 am He thinks it's unfair because we're all deliberately ignoring an elephant in the room, namely the political element.
Arty is a big boy - he can speak for himself. But since you are talkative, what political element?

EDIT: *slaps on protective gear & girds her loins (lions? LOL!)* For the fall out I am about to receive, let me be eternally regretful.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I think it's pretty self-evident, but since you asked, I'm not going to skirt around the topic with snide comments like Arty.

You're generally well-liked, and so are Cape and Trace. Animew and myself are not. There's an inherent bias caused by this simple fact. This contest could easily be for popularity rather than the art itself, and it shows in the results, you can't deny that. That being said, I do still think your piece is probably the best, but I would have expected more of a variety among the opinions, especially since art is subjective, after all.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

There are 20 opinions currently spread around the vote itself, "likeability" for instance had nothing to do with my vote I tend to enjoy a particular art style. How does that seemingly jump to me voting against another piece become 'screw the other people'. This entire argumentation you've put forward feels petty.

If you suddenly want 'reasons' as to why people voted in one way or another...I think that's a bridge too far.

Come on.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to play the victim or be petty, only explain the logic of that train of thought.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

Leeward wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 am You're generally well-liked, and so are Cape and Trace. Animew and myself are not. There's an inherent bias caused by this simple fact. This contest could easily be for popularity rather than the art itself, and it shows in the results, you can't deny that.
Nothing is stopping the Furs from using these art competitions to improve their image.

It feels like we are getting hung-up on this first test run, instead of moving on and giving more opportunities for people to shine.

Not receiving votes does not detract from anyone's art, those who submitted made an effort and shared their work.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Sudan Red wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:22 am *slaps on protective gear & girds her loins
Leeward wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 am You're generally well-liked, and so are Cape and Trace. Animew and myself are not.
.OwO. i... i'm not well-liked? but i'm just a cute cuddly little kitty cat, .>w<. why no one love meee!?

UwU/ seriously tho i somehow think popularity of the participants did not factor into this and if it did then it played a minor roll. Owo mainly because there are not 20 active members on the forum, some voters had to be lurkers and lurkers tend to be on the side of the trolls and malcontents because if not for us stirring trouble the place would be boring as fuck to lurk on.

HOWEVER... perhaps if i could make a suggestion, we may want to make the vote results invisible till the end of the voting since even on a subconscious level no one wants to waste their vote and voting for someone with zero votes when there is a two person race going on seems kinda pointless... just saying...
why not use survey monkey for instance firedog? then no one can complain... er... but perhaps leave the announcing of the results to someone like the wurdmncer or the wolf that no one dares argue with, lest people accuse you of rigging the system. or even better take a screenshot and post that.
Ryall wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:05 pm It's just you've been quite reasonable of late and this change in the status quo is really upsetting me.
Owo i know right, i think i must have contracted rainbow space aids at that tentacle orgy i went to last month. besides, not much trolling to be had here lately, recon these waters be fished out.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Being unpopular is like being fat. You may have excuses or even legit reasons, but in the end, the only person who can change it is you.

I prefer the transparent voting, lest accusations of rigging pop up.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Re: Easter Art Competition Votingww

Post by Ryall »

Leeward, people voted for the art they subjectively liked the most: not according technical criteria. Again, they had one vote, so they cannot award points to second or third place.

Your drawing was traditional; greyscale; did not have a background; had some unattractive proportions - like the head and feet; and the basket was a rush job.

Sudan's drawing was digital; colorful; had a nice simplistic background; had appealing proportions; and clean lines all around.

That is why me, VoxLupus, Dredge, Kai, and Wild Pictus voted for Sudan's drawing over yours, Leeward. VoxLupus and I are closer friends to you than to Sudan, and the other three don't really know either of you or follow forum politics.That is already half of Sudan's votes that are accounted for, with no political bias.

Had bias played a roll in this competition, VoxLupus and I would have voted for your art piece instead of Sudan's.

People voted for Cape Fox's piece because it was funny.

Animew probably didn't get any votes because his piece wasn't quite as funny as Cape Fox's, and wasn't quite as bright and pretty as Sudan's.

Other people like Trace got votes from people like Splicer for very specific reasons.

Do you still find the results questionable?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I never said I myself found the results questionable, I was merely answering Sudan's question. I'm unperturbed by the outcome, especially considering how rarely I bother drawing any more than half assedly. Can we drop this already?
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

You were the one asking what you did wrong. I offered and explanation, and answered Arty's concerns.
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

:cry:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Voting is closed for the first ZAFur competition, the Easter Art Competition. And the winner is.... Sudan Red! Congratulations!

Victory comes with temporary contest winner status! Including your very own name colour (this can still be changed. I was looking for something that would distinguish the winner but not be close enough to confuse with any other special groups) and rank.

Does anyone have suggestions for the next contest?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's thematically similar to Easter, but what about spring?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

MAY the Force be with you.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

I was thinking we could try different types of art? Show off some of what other artists can do.

Perhaps an autumn-themed photography contest, perhaps? Or spring, for the northern hemispere people. Though it may be a little late in the year for that.

Also, I'd like to propose a rule that says that the previous winner cannot compete again in the next round.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Congratulations Sudan! Enjoy your turquoise name! :mrgreen:
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Cape_F0X wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:41 pm MAY the Force be with you.
THIS THIS THIS!!!! :D

EDIT: OOOOOH FANCY TURQUOISE NAME! Soooo niiiiiice.... :) MAY I still do a piece for the next contest even though I am not in the running? Espeeeecially if it is Star Wars themed. :D
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

YES
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

OwO neat! i'm third place! UwU/ not bad for a cat that "ain't well liked" ey..
<w< i was kinda hoping the winner name color would be gold/yellow. tiz the color of champions after all... not to mention it would match Sudan's fur... you know, since it can't be red lol.
YUSS!
Valerion wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:42 pm I'd like to propose a rule that says that the previous winner cannot compete again in the next round.
noooo! how is someone suppose defend their title then!?
UwU/ i'll admit that going up against Sudan is a pretty hopeless endeavor given her pro grade skills but that may just make folks bring their A game to this contest.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Animew wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 am <w< i was kinda hoping the winner name color would be gold/yellow. tiz the color of champions after all... not to mention it would match Sudan's fur... you know, since it can't be red lol.
That would overlap with Anoyomouse's name colour.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Animew wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 am
Valerion wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:42 pm I'd like to propose a rule that says that the previous winner cannot compete again in the next round.
noooo! how is someone suppose defend their title then!?
UwU/ i'll admit that going up against Sudan is a pretty hopeless endeavor given her pro grade skills but that may just make folks bring their A game to this contest.
This is to give others a chance at the prize too. Personally I would like to see variety, and having the same person win multiple times in a row may work against that. And this is not just Sudan - we have excellent photographers and writers and so on here as well. I'd say the previous winner can contribute, but only for the fun of it, not being eligble for voting.

Of course, this is my opinion. This is Rakuen's project, so I will let him set the final rules.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am
Animew wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 am <w< i was kinda hoping the winner name color would be gold/yellow. tiz the color of champions after all... not to mention it would match Sudan's fur... you know, since it can't be red lol.
That would overlap with Anoyomouse's name colour.

Nope. Not going there again. Not falling for your bait.
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

god almighty, what is going on in here?
I was alerted to this thread getting out of hand via Telegram today, probably because my name was mentioned several times.

So, when I make a statement, it doesn't equate to a concern Ryall. It is an expression of a statement of what I feel is the status quo at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with doing the Easter Art comp, that in itself is a fairly novel idea.
I had contemplated doing a piece for here, but then, upon reflection, while sitting in my armchair and thinking about things, I decided my time was better spent on things I really wanted to do and had put off for so long. I had been working my balls off prior to the Easter weekend so I decided to spend the time to rest, and reconnect with my family and build a computer for my son as I promised to.

I also had a feeling, a nagging thought that no matter what I posted, it would never be good enough, because of political reasons. The last day of March, I sat at my desk thinking to myself, " should I really waste my afternoon with this?" Looks like my gut feel was right, once again.

Leeward is very good at reading the true meaning of my single-sentence statements and she got it spot-on. All the underdogs on this forum, got no votes, while those who are working behind the scenes got some votes. You can interpret that any way you want. It has nothing to do with being a bad sport, its got to do with having knowledge and being smart enough to know how things work, despite the pretence that things work otherwise.

Since I am so over this fandom, I didn't need to post that, and I certainly wouldn't have, if it wasn't raised in conversation today on Telegram by a few close fur friends.
Being unpopular is like being fat. You may have excuses or even legit reasons, but in the end, the only person who can change it is you.
In an ideal world it works that way, but since the world we live in, is imperfect, I beg to differ, as you yourself is the absolute opposite of the image of the fandom or what the fandom aspires to be. You're popular for political reasons and those reasons only. Nothing else. You remind me of what it must be like to be the local DA councillor in a very small town.

I cannot change my unpopularity, because that would mean I would have to achieve the impossible first, which would mean I'd have to get you especially to drop your grudge, never mind the one Rakuen has against me, and assuming for one moment I achieved that, then there'd be the other problem of becoming a popfur. Images of sucking an anus, licking balls and other submissive behaviour comes to my mind, and my parents raised me to have far more integrity and dignity than that.