Choosing a new competition theme

Where the brave denizens of ZA Fur battle it out in contests of skill to earn the winner's golden crown.

What should the new competition theme be?

Summer celebration
30%
Christmas
10%
New Year's Party
30%
Rugby World Cup victory
10%
Other (comment)
20%

Total votes: 10
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Choosing a new competition theme

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

It's been a while since we last had a competition so I think it's high time, we did something. Here are a few ideas that I considered. The contest would start at some point in this month and so end near the latter half of December. There are some general themes we could go with but there's also the recent rugby victory. But if anyone has some cool suggestions or there is an important event that I am forgetting about, then feel free to comment and maybe others will also like the idea.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Re: Choosing a new competition theme

Post by Faanvolla »

Valentines day?
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

It's a bit late for a Valentine's Day competition. We could do Easter though. It's just there's been very little interest in the competitions. Two of the last three competition attempts got no entries at all.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:29 pm Two of the last three competition attempts got no entries at all.
UwU/ fear not firedog, for i have returned from the dead to stir the shit once more! OwO why are we limited to only those options? i mean fuckn a, i coulda sworn we did starwars at some point... starwars is not a public holiday... i think. why not do something new, fresh and completely unexpected? UwU tiz the sort of thing artsy types enjoy after all.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well those options were for what was coming up at the time. People had previously voted for competitions for special occasions, although I guess that could be interpreted broadly. If people bring ideas to the table, I can work with them. If I have to try think up all the ideas, it's not going to go well.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

The Wildemount DnD5e book is releasing in March, the 17th, what about using that as an excuse to do something Fantasy/Magic - themed ?
Its vague enough to not need to be about DnD specifically, because its not everyones hobby, but everyone should know some kinda fantasy settings
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

i'd be game for a magic/fantasy themed thing.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 pm If people bring ideas to the table, I can work with them. If I have to try think up all the ideas, it's not going to go well.
UwU oh hush firedog, you never listen to my ideas anyway. you are a smart boi, figure something out.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Post by Galahad »

It's 2020. A new decade. The future is probably what's on people's minds. So what about a futuristic, anthro-science-fiction theme? Let the imagination go wild, even if unrealistic. Space colonies. Holograms. Interstellar travel. Maybe your 'sona is the the first generation of a genetic experiment.

In any case, I rarely visit here and I don't consider myself much of an active member of this community any more. But I have been looking to get back into art regularly and this looks like a fine way to do so. So I'd be interested.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Okay, so that's too options now. I'm currently leaning more to fantasy since that has an event to tie in with. Would people be interested in that?

Galahad, I can't remember if you came back or if I just forgot I was supposed to deactivate your account. >.< I did see you lurking around and I'm glad you decided to post again.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I want summer because I miss the sun.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

A wild Galahad appears!
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Galahad, I can't remember if you came back or if I just forgot I was supposed to deactivate your account. >.< I did see you lurking around and I'm glad you decided to post again.

I had Ivic reactivate my account because there was something somewhere on this forum that I urgently needed to see. Passed this thread on my way out and decided to lurk a little more.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend linking this thread to the SA art group.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Theme suggestions: Valentine’s, Magic, Hell (Doom Eternal Release), haunted house (this forum), Galahad Returns (again), and ‘AnimewXRakuen Vol. 5: Shi wa eiende wanai.’
Hahaha! :lol:
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

OwO holy sheep shit! Galahad! you scaly bastard its good to see you! Owo fuckn hell, now we need Leeward and helios to come back. UwU have ourselves a godamn luau or some crap like that.

but yea future is also good! flying cars, cyberpunkness, robot hookers and what not UwU sounds good either way.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Animew, what the hell? :P

I think zombies and ghosts should be the theme, in your honour. Welcome back from the dead. ;)
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

it can be magical future zombies... at the beach!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

So is this actually happening?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Yes. I think the fantasy theme is a good starting point and can be linked to something. It also gives a nice end date. I generally keep the competitions a specific length for fairness. So that would make next week the appropriate time to launch a competition to coincide with the book launch.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I haven't the faintest clue what you're getting at with the fantasy theme, but cool beans. :P At least the ball is getting rolling. I'm keen.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

The suggestion from Faanvolla.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Whoa, my bad.
Galahad has just discovered the scroll bar.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

SO its gonna be fantasy of spesifically D&D? UwU just to clarify.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:36 am fairness
<w<
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Animew, l2read. Like I did a few days ago.
Complex-superiority.jpg
It's a more general high fantasy setting, not necessarily about DnD. Vague and open ended, but that gives us lots of room.

Also, Rakuen, why must we only start next week? :P It's not like everyone is going to start at exactly the same time anyways. This is a furry cringe comp-- I mean, an honourable anthropomorphic art competition, not a foot race. Unless you're going out of your way to notify all potential entrants, which is a roll of initiative (ba dum tss) that would make hell freeze over.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Because the competition is inspired by a specific event. I think it makes sense to then finish on the date of the launch, in order to make the tie-in work. And I try keep the competitions to a standard format which is four weeks for entry submission and one week for voting. I don't think it's particularly fair if different competitions are run for different lengths of time. This way, everyone can rely on it working a certain way. To do all that, we need to start five weeks before March 17, which means the competition should only start on 11 February.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Ja, mein Herr. Striktly akkording to zee skedule! ;)
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Galahad wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:16 am Animew, l2read. Like I did a few days ago.
UwU oh but the established topic has since come under contest so i had to reafirm. one does not simply assume things to be my good fellow. the topic is dependant on the spesific D&D event hence calling to question whether or not it is general fantasy or spesific to the event its linked with... in fact since the firedog has yet to specify its still unclear...

=w= but i dont think i'm gonna be able to make it to this contest anywho so you gonna have to go on without me oh bipedal chicken lizard man, be sure to take the gold!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Wtf. Am I the only artist keen on this thing? :P Also, I am going to be a little rebel and start anyways. Come at me, mods. This is the sort of loophole I was trying to warn you about.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

nono, false alarm. UwU thought i was seriously ill but it turns out i was just poisoned. it sure does scare the heck out of a person when they are sudenly to weak to move and in constant pain.

so i retract my retraction, game on Lizard mahn! game on!
Galahad wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 pm This is the sort of loophole I was trying to warn you about.
lol, bitch this is the loophole that pretty much everyone exploits. UwU i started ages ago.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Anyone interested in doing a new competition? A lockdown/coronavirus themed one? It's been a while and we've barely talked about the lockdown here!
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~