SAFurry Con Autumn 2016

The 2016 South Afrifur Convention didn't happen.
DraconicFeline
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dracat
Region: Gauteng

SAFurry Con Autumn 2016

Post by DraconicFeline »

In association with Up Con, the first SAFurry Con will be held in Pretoria at the University campus.

This will be a furry, gamer and geek con.

Does this sound awesome!?!

Myself, my fluffy mate GreyWatcher and Friends will be hosting the event with many big name stalls and competitions as well as an after con rave.

Opinions, ideas and thoughts please.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: SAFurry Con Autumn 2016

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

First other than the two that already happened.

Actually this just sounds really weird, not only because it doesn't seem aware of what's happened before, but because your names are not familiar and this comes out of nowhere suspiciously as an attempt is being made by people that are involved in the fandom.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I gotta admit I'm with Rakuen on this one. I'm a little hesitant to get all excited about a furry convention (even if it's held in association with other stuff) if it's being organised by furs I (who's been here for five years and am one of the most active furs around here) didn't even know existed...

It would be a lot better if you guys actually made an effort to get to know the community you're trying to appeal to and let us actually know who you are?
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

DraconicFeline wrote:In association with Up Con, the first SAFurry Con will be held in Pretoria at the University campus.

This will be a furry, gamer and geek con.

Does this sound awesome!?!

Myself, my fluffy mate GreyWatcher and Friends will be hosting the event with many big name stalls and competitions as well as an after con rave.

Opinions, ideas and thoughts please.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:First other than the two that already happened.

Actually this just sounds really weird, not only because it doesn't seem aware of what's happened before, but because your names are not familiar and this comes out of nowhere suspiciously as an attempt is being made by people that are involved in the fandom.
Indeed. I'm going to make a list of assumptions here.

Having seen UPcon I've noted that it is a rather small event and seems to have been run on poor marketing the last time in 2013. I am going to assume that this is an attempt to revive UPcon with a new element of Furry in it. Which does seem to be a rather novel Idea at first.

Also, how does your affiliation with UPcon work. Are you just having UPcon with the potential of a couple of furries or is it a Furry convention with a couple of UPcon goers?

However, as I have said in my PM to you, I would very much like to speak with you about this and the implications that you intend to have. Also to read the information that I have given in respect to our other plans that have been discussed ad infinitum throughout this thread.

Whatthefurry has also come and spoken about this self-same project and has yet to come back and give any answers in respect to it. The air of mystery is thick and it isn't a good hype to begin with.

I agree here with Rakuen and with Ravensong. This is becoming awkward to deal with as you guys seem to pop up go HEY! HEEEEEEEEEEY! and when you get our attention you disappear or seem quite disjointed.

I'm sure many of us would like to throw in with this idea as a, more Gauteng orientated, mini-meet and given some background it could be fleshed into a good idea. However you've made no attempt to give any extra info. Which is important if you actually want it to work.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Why hype everyone about it then give no details at all further.
You're "Marketing" lacks information.
The basic principles
Price - Unknown
Place - University Campus in PTA (Where on campus)
Promotion - Costs? Unknown.
People - Furries?, geeks and gamers.

Never heard of this event. Who exactly are the big name brands you refer to???

This reeks of ambiguity, in the same sense of a complete stranger saying come to my house it's in the dark woods on the edge of the city where no one can hear you scream.

UPcon... What is this?

You have 1 post and it is this one, why no introduction?
Please inform us about this? I would be interested but the ambiguity in this is making me very hesitant.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

YoteFox wrote:Why hype everyone about it then give no details at all further.
The basic principles
Price - Unknown
Let's be honest? Ivic's con doesn't have much of that information available either.
Obsidian
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Oh Snap, that be fighting talk!

Ive attended Upcon once or twice for war gaming and I don't really see why they would be interested in furry stuff :?. I mean there's that chick with the stall with the ears and stuff buts its mostly geek centered with the main focus on war gaming some magic the gathering and the rest on Sci-Fi stuff.

I mean I know a ton of furries who are geeks and such but I also know some of the organizers and unless they have been replaced in the last year or two I don't see Upcon putting any care into the furry community because they have no reason to ;D
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

Obsidian wrote:I don't see Upcon putting any care into the furry community because they have no reason to ;D
That's the sort of feedback we need to hear. I've also tried reaching out to them to offer any help, and it's been about a week with no response. On the basis of that alone I'm thinking their con will be a waste of time.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Tetsudra wrote:
YoteFox wrote:Why hype everyone about it then give no details at all further.
The basic principles
Price - Unknown
Let's be honest? Ivic's con doesn't have much of that information available either.
Ivic's con is still in mostly in the research phase, they have yet to announce that. It is still a year before that time.
Where as this UpCon that this person speaks of is poorly marketed.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Agreed with Yote. And there is information on "The Con" Tetsudra (It isn't Ivic's Con... he's just spearheading the organisation of it. Get it right).
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso