Updates and suggestions.

The 2016 South Afrifur Convention didn't happen.
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid
Region: Gauteng

Updates and suggestions.

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Anymore updates as to further planning for this event? I look forward to knowing more as it happens.
Anyone who wants to make further suggestions do it here so we know what is up rather than trying to scour this whole sub forum to find out.
No in fighting here just suggestions please.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Metalus
Sexual preference: Bi
Region: Other

Re: Updates and suggestions.

Post by Metalus »

well no one seems to have a good name yet so how about ZA FUR CON(ZFC for short)... i think its funny because when someone asks where you are going you tell them "I'm going to ZA FUR CON"... you know, but you gotta say it like 'the fur con' ... so i thought it might be fitting
this account will soon be removed....
for more queries go to www.thatheartlessasshole.co.za
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

I like that name.
[REDACTED]
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Metalus wrote:well no one seems to have a good name yet so how about ZA FUR CON(ZFC for short)... i think its funny because when someone asks where you are going you tell them "I'm going to ZA FUR CON"... you know, but you gotta say it like 'the fur con' ... so i thought it might be fitting
Not a bad choice, Inpw was mentioning that since we're the biggest con in Africa that we just call it Afrifur.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear

Ivic-Wulfe wrote:
Metalus wrote:well no one seems to have a good name yet so how about ZA FUR CON(ZFC for short)... i think its funny because when someone asks where you are going you tell them "I'm going to ZA FUR CON"... you know, but you gotta say it like 'the fur con' ... so i thought it might be fitting
Not a bad choice, Inpw was mentioning that since we're the biggest con in Africa that we just call it Afrifur.
The biggest? Surely the only. How about either Afrifur or Africon? I like both.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Asbjorn-phoenix wrote:The biggest? Surely the only. How about either Afrifur or Africon? I like both.
Will defs have a look at it. Also, guys, keep a weather ear on the podcast and hear what we have to say about the con itself.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear

Started this thread for those who do not necessarily listen to the Pawdcast, with any luck even more interest can be generated here.
Metalus

Post by Metalus »

AfriFur is a good name but i'm just a lonely dragon trying to get by... also the furs I've talked to about the CON says that they can't go because the price is too high.... so here is another suggestion by a little lonely dragon.... because it's the first con and not many know about furries is keep the price low for the first time so that all can see what it is and through that see if people would want another one again
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Metalus wrote:AfriFur is a good name but i'm just a lonely dragon trying to get by... also the furs I've talked to about the CON says that they can't go because the price is too high.... so here is another suggestion by a little lonely dragon.... because it's the first con and not many know about furries is keep the price low for the first time so that all can see what it is and through that see if people would want another one again
That has been a suggestion that has come through on several points. It is unfortunate that the price is too high for some and we'll be looking at certain ways to circumvent it as the con draws closer.
Metalus

Post by Metalus »

like i said and this topic states.... it's just a suggestion... so now at least i can say i can say i tried something in my life
Metalus

Post by Metalus »

OH OH OH OH... another suggestion is watch this to get an idea..... http://youtube.com/watch?v=28lKcjmaVgk
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

South Afrifur also tells you where the convention is. Africa is a big place. Considering there are only something like 5 furs that pop up on maps in Africa but outside of South Africa it seems a bit silly to brag about being the only convention in Africa.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Metalus

Post by Metalus »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:South Afrifur also tells you where the convention is. Africa is a big place. Considering there are only something like 5 furs that pop up on maps in Africa but outside of South Africa it seems a bit silly to brag about being the only convention in Africa.
that's why I suggested the name ZA FUR CON
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Metalus wrote:
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:South Afrifur also tells you where the convention is. Africa is a big place. Considering there are only something like 5 furs that pop up on maps in Africa but outside of South Africa it seems a bit silly to brag about being the only convention in Africa.
that's why I suggested the name ZA FUR CON
Well South Afrifur is the established name at present, has been established since 2008. There's even a wiki-fur page about it.
Metalus

Post by Metalus »

Ivic-Wulfe wrote: Well South Afrifur is the established name at present, has been established since 2008. There's even a wiki-fur page about it.
geeeeez, sorry I didn't know it.... :(
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I didn't mean to be short about that, we are open to better suggestions, but for now South Afrifur is here because it's known as that.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Finalization of the Con logistics is upon us. I have finally got some response from the venue that all is still go. This month expect us to start running a few things for fundraising as well as getting a workable payment system running. At present because there's a lot of time before the event:

Date is set for either 1-3 or 8-10 July 2016

We will consider a monthly "contribution" to your fund as something that you could do to ensure that when the time comes you won't be completely strapped for cash. Expect pictures of the venues etc. to come soon. I have made arrangements that they send these too us as soon as possible.

Also expect a price-list and a some banking details to come through. All this should be up and running by the end of June.
Last edited by Ivic_Wulfe on Wed May 27, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Such a derp...it's July...
Niexie
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vixen

Post by Niexie »

I was thinking of ways to make more people interested in the SA more known and giving us a good image.

Might be a good idea to gather fursuiters that already has suits to get together and arrange to suit. Keeping it fun for kids (Since kids love big cute fluffy animals)

Making allot of kids happy might be a good way to start getting positive reactions from people!

Also maybe get ways to attract non suiters, this way more people will see us and maybe even want to join! (Maybe just need some people watching the suiters backs for people who might surprise them.)

Also using a furry introduction for those who what to know what it is. But will have to keep it clean.

Can also be fun to make it open for artists to be able to show there work. (Any artist so it attracts allot of people, Paintings, Music, Crafts or even a booth to buy anime and games!)

But Just have to make sure everyone is aware of the main theme.

Sorry if I gave stupid ideas or if they were already given! <3
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear

Carrousel_Studios wrote:I was thinking of ways to make more people interested in the SA more known and giving us a good image.

Might be a good idea to gather fursuiters that already has suits to get together and arrange to suit. Keeping it fun for kids (Since kids love big cute fluffy animals)

Making allot of kids happy might be a good way to start getting positive reactions from people!

Also maybe get ways to attract non suiters, this way more people will see us and maybe even want to join! (Maybe just need some people watching the suiters backs for people who might surprise them.)

Also using a furry introduction for those who what to know what it is. But will have to keep it clean.

Can also be fun to make it open for artists to be able to show there work. (Any artist so it attracts allot of people, Paintings, Music, Crafts or even a booth to buy anime and games!)

But Just have to make sure everyone is aware of the main theme.

Sorry if I gave stupid ideas or if they were already given! <3
Most if not all sound like valid suggestions, remembering we need to start small and build it from there.
Trying to find the right type of artist who would fit into the furry genre, if they're not furry themselves would be no easy task in this country.
But mostly I agree just don't think it is practical to try do all that with the first con, once we have had one successful one and there are more people available or willing to be on the Con comitee then expansion to those directions could try be arranged.
Niexie
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vixen

Post by Niexie »

Closer to the time I can arrange with my mom, dad and people to come! I Can also perform or get some music going and bring my sound (If wanted I can also bring the smoke machine and the lights.)

(If I perform or bring sound I won't charge for anything, Would love to get this con working and would try my best to help from my side!)

Will see if I have more to contribute closer to the time!

I will also ask my dad for advice or maybe helping, he used to be GPMA chairman and president of the drummajorettes association, he used to run big functions and getting the sport to grow... So maybe he can try and help with advice and such! (He is not a furry but he adores the furry community and loves cartoon characters like Goofy, Donald duck and more.)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I'm pretty sure I've said this before but forget about charities, forget about putting word out there and forget about image. It's not that those aren't nice but the first priority is actually getting a con together and people to attend. All the other stuff is immaterial until that can happen. Secondly, don't forget a convention is not about public engagement or brand management. That does happen and a big convention will attract attention but the point of a convention should be to bring furry fans together in person and to have a good time. To try get something you need to have focus, forget about every aspect that is not essential.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~