POLL: The shape of things to come

The 2016 South Afrifur Convention didn't happen.

What would you rather have?

Maintain status quo, just organize the get-together
33%
Prioritize getting more artists/trade into the fandom
24%
Open up the convention to more than just furs
38%
Other?
5%

Total votes: 21
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: POLL: The shape of things to come

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I remember seeing those pictures before. What were they actually protesting?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I remember seeing those pictures before. What were they actually protesting?
Just general P.E.T.A. stuff.
Fur is murder. Save the broccoli, eat a farmer kinda stuff.
[REDACTED]
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

I didn't read the other replies since I am lazy tonight... Anywho I chose more trade in the Fandom since I am rather a heavy consumer if I may put it that way. I would buy as many furry merch as possible( I die a little inside every time I say or here that).
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Gowuffie
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Whatever you need me to be.
Region: Western Cape

Post by Gowuffie »

Helios_phi wrote:Some furry friendly businesses might be willing to help with donations for advertising at the convention?
Pro life animal rescue
S.P.C.A
Just think if P.E.T.A. got involved. We could have giant signs saying "I'd rather wear fur than go naked"...... wait.... I think that's the wrong way.... nevermind.
I'm confused as to how the furry fandom relates to animal welfare. At worst, you rise the risk of alienating furries from attending because you're getting help from political establishments they might view in a negative light.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Gowuffie wrote:I'm confused as to how the furry fandom relates to animal welfare.
You can't see a link why a group of people whose attention is particularly focused on animals and animal traits might have a particular interest in animal welfare? That's like asking why a group of hunters would be interested in a gun show.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Gowuffie
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Whatever you need me to be.
Region: Western Cape

Post by Gowuffie »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Gowuffie wrote:I'm confused as to how the furry fandom relates to animal welfare.
You can't see a link why a group of people whose attention is particularly focused on animals and animal traits might have a particular interest in animal welfare? That's like asking why a group of hunters would be interested in a gun show.
No, that's not the same thing at all. It would be like asking why a group of bow-hunters would be interested in a gun show. Bows and guns are both used for hunting, so there is something in common - but it's not exactly the same thing.

Furries do not have to engage with or even like animals - not to mention support groups like PETA. It's just a fantastical universe that borrows from the animal world purely because our imaginations are limited.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Gowuffie wrote:
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
No, that's not the same thing at all. It would be like asking why a group of bow-hunters would be interested in a gun show. Bows and guns are both used for hunting, so there is something in common - but it's not exactly the same thing.

Furries do not have to engage with or even like animals - not to mention support groups like PETA. It's just a fantastical universe that borrows from the animal world purely because our imaginations are limited.
I think it's a bit deeper than that. It's about acknowledging that all manner of creatures can feel emotions and pain, and therefore should be treated ethically. It's more of a philosophical association than an ethical or even political one. Another analogy would be asking Pagans or Wiccans or Shamanists why they care about the environment.