Interest in a South African Convention

The 2016 South Afrifur Convention didn't happen.

How interested are you to have a South African Furry Convention

Poll ended at Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:19 pm

1. Completely Willing
39%
2. Willing
13%
3. Willing depending on location
32%
4. Neutral
11%
5. Unwilling depending on location
No votes
6. Unwilling
3%
7. Not Interested
3%

Total votes: 38
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Interest in a South African Convention

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Hey guys, this poll is to gauge how interested you would be in attending a South African Convention. If you answer anything from point 3 down let us know what would make you more interested in this endeavour or what you would expect from a con.

More polls to come.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Interest in a South African Convention

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

It probably should've been phrased "How interested/willing are you in attending a South African Furry Convention," like in the post. Interested in having one and being willing or able to attend are different. I would love to have a national meet in South Africa and I attended both the original South Afrifur meets. (As did Electrocat, Nanukk, Sticky_Fingers and Zelian.) However it's extremely unlikely that I would attend this one as I'm only likely to be in SA over Christmas and New Year. I haven't voted though so my situation won't affect the results.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Nanukk
Nightclub manager
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: River Otter
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Nanukk »

Furmeets and Conventions are completely different. Conventions are much more involved than people expect. Hosting events during the entire day for a whole weekend as well as organizing hotels nearby, if not inside the convention center itself. Safety is an issue too, people need to be safe in an area or environment. If someone gets robbed because they went out into the streets and explored, that doesn't only hit them hard but the Con publicity as well.

I am neutral towards this one. Though it is possible to do something like this in South Africa. The probability of high international interest drops. South Africa is isolated from everything, with only a few selected Furries in South Africa that might not even afford to make it to the convention, let alone the costs involved is low as well.

Conventions require a large amount of investment. And you need to aim for hitting a profit, to fund the following year's convention as well. That means you require some of the following: website, advertising, guests of honor, hotel bookings, convention center bookings, an extreme amount of gadgets, toys, places for photography, organization of artist alleys, fursuit areas and with all of that, we need to have interest (I can't state how important this is for funding). Advertising would help, but it needs to be invested for a year, make a date, understand how much you need, triple the cost of Conbadges to fund the convention, just in case you don't fill up on guests. 1/3 of expected guests would fund the entire convention is the badges are that expensive. Though once you have interest, you may drop the price but it still needs to safely fund the current year and the following year's convention.

There is a lot of involvement and it mostly requires a set of qualified bodies, that understands security, catering, finance, PR and advertising, hotel management, and most of them need to understand how these conventions work, the risks involved and so on. It's a lot of work and a lot of money to invest starting in.

And it is hard to find a rich South African furry. I guarantee that.
BUT I'd LOVE to see a convention here one day.
'The world's fantasy is it's greatest reality' ~Sean Cameron 2002
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I had an idea

As lame as this may sound to us, in order to attract international interest, we could try milking the "Africa/south-africa" thing... I don't really know how, advertising it internationally, at perhaps some kind of bigish lodge or something. Something that screams Africa. That we could maybe go on game drives or such...

If we do it in winter, we could advertise "fursuiting with the animals" or something... I think it's an experience international furs would go for

No clue of a venue for this type of thing. But I think if we can somehow make this an international thing, it'd be awesome
Mew?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Okay, this does say a 2016 convention, I guess it would depend on location then.
It would be impossible this year as I already have free passes for Rage, Geekfest, and Horror con. I might even attend all three and that's pretty much all the free time I can spare.
[REDACTED]
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Nanukk wrote:Furmeets and Conventions are completely different.
We understand that the endeavour is a large one and that it will be difficult to pull through, we already have a standing idea of what we need to do and how it needs to be done. As Valerion mentioned, this is to help see logistics and understand what would help to ensure the maximum number of furs that would be able to join and make this worthwhile. We will be running polls from here as different subject lines throughout the next couple of weeks to gauge both interest and ability.

We've had quite a few discussions about this at present and as mentioned before we know what may be necessary. Now we're looking at the who, what, when, where and why of the matter to see whether it correlates with our current planning model.

Thanks for your input btw, we're working towards a con that would (hopefully) be able to build towards all of those lovely things as we get the swing of it.

Our intentions are to create a feasible yearly meet at a specified location that is do-able by everyone. For those of you who feel a bit lost on the entire matter here's our podcast from last night that's kinda looks at some of our ideas.

AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Nanukk
Nightclub manager
Species: River Otter
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Nanukk »

Ivic-Wulfe wrote:
Nanukk wrote:Furmeets and Conventions are completely different.
We understand that the endeavour is a large one and that it will be difficult to pull through, we already have a standing idea of what we need to do and how it needs to be done. As Valerion mentioned, this is to help see logistics and understand what would help to ensure the maximum number of furs that would be able to join and make this worthwhile. We will be running polls from here as different subject lines throughout the next couple of weeks to gauge both interest and ability.

We've had quite a few discussions about this at present and as mentioned before we know what may be necessary. Now we're looking at the who, what, when, where and why of the matter to see whether it correlates with our current planning model.

Thanks for your input btw, we're working towards a con that would (hopefully) be able to build towards all of those lovely things as we get the swing of it.

Our intentions are to create a feasible yearly meet at a specified location that is do-able by everyone. For those of you who feel a bit lost on the entire matter here's our podcast from last night that's kinda looks at some of our ideas.

Good luck, you are gonna need all of it. Funding included...
'The world's fantasy is it's greatest reality' ~Sean Cameron 2002
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

this is an amazingly awesome idea... but Nanukk raises some crushingly valid points. i'd still really love seeing this happen in my lifetime though.
jacojerb wrote:I had an idea

As lame as this may sound to us, in order to attract international interest, we could try milking the "Africa/south-africa" thing... I don't really know how, advertising it internationally, at perhaps some kind of bigish lodge or something. Something that screams Africa. That we could maybe go on game drives or such...

If we do it in winter, we could advertise "fursuiting with the animals" or something... I think it's an experience international furs would go for

No clue of a venue for this type of thing. But I think if we can somehow make this an international thing, it'd be awesome
that’s not all that lame an idea bro. security wise it’s a lot safer than the city and in winter most game farm lodges tend to be less busy... but the location is going to make it tricky for local furs to attend methinks.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

It'll be difficult for everyone, I think. Obviously, international furs would struggle with transport to and from the place. We may have to hire a bus or something... I heard that's expensive...

So it all depends on how much interest, and how much funds...

I also had the idea of crowdfunding this... That way, you know you have the funds before the event is on. Plus I think it'd have more publicity that way

I'm probably being very optimistic, but I believe that, if this is advertised enough, we'd find hundreds of international furs willing to come and with moneys...
Mew?
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

jacojerb wrote:It'll be difficult for everyone, I think. Obviously, international furs would struggle with transport to and from the place. We may have to hire a bus or something... I heard that's expensive...

So it all depends on how much interest, and how much funds...

I also had the idea of crowdfunding this... That way, you know you have the funds before the event is on. Plus I think it'd have more publicity that way

I'm probably being very optimistic, but I believe that, if this is advertised enough, we'd find hundreds of international furs willing to come and with moneys...
That is a bit of a pipe dream. We need to show we can work this internally first and even then many would need some form of subsidy. Lets show we can get it together from our side and then market outwards for people to come. We can still market for crowdfunding (one of the ideas that I've thought about already but for now we're just starting out with the next few polls to gauge interest and to see about all the other lovely things we could do.)
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

I would totally support this regardless of costs. BUT I think personally a convention for furries isn't going to happen soon because of various obvious reasons.

Let's take rAge for instance, they have thousands of sponsors who cover the costs barely, rAge is considered as South Africa's biggest convention and in comparison to conventions like Comicon or any other conventions in America it's not really all that impressive.

Yes we keep looking at the most obvious things, costs to the convention but do you really realize what a successful convention can cost? It can go into millions of DOLLARS. You need event organizers, caterers, security, exhibitionists, patrons, cleaners, venue, managers, Insurance, first aid on scene paramedics, some form of temporary IT structure and so on.

It is not a cheap en devour but it's not exactly impossible, a small scale "convention/furmeet" can be held but let's say it is going to take place Johannesburg, you really have to make it worth the drive for the CT furs.

I am optimistic about a con but one really has to be realistic aswell and realize doing something like this is not a walk in the park. One has to have a formulated business plan on how this convention will benefit the area it takes place. Allot of things has to be taken into consideration. I would love to see a drawn up business and action plan involving figures, plan of action and what is to be achieved with said convention.

As furries we can form an alliance with a charity organization such as the husky rescue organization and form a fund raising event as furries but this involves fursuiters to be actively participating in the convention and really making it worth the money, therefore the market will change from only furs to the general public and "furryness" be so small in SA as it is might be seen as taboo the rest is self explanatory.

As I said I don't want to bring this whole idea down ( I'm pretty sure my opinion won't do that) I just want to be realistic about the implementation of such a convention and that it takes far more than the obvious meets the eye facts.

An Event manager might be needed or even the person or people who want to organize the event can have a meeting with an event manager and find out what is needed to organize a great event.

No I haven't read the other posts I am way to lazy today to read so much. I have been pondering on this for a while now.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Eylof
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolf
Region: Western Cape
Location: Monte Vista , plattekloof glen , in your nightmares... joke ^^

Post by Eylof »

Can use somethng like a community hall? just a thought... the one near us (Edgemead) is an alright size but it will probably have to be in Jozi....

i believe community halls will be cheaper :P
~The problem is not the problem... the problem is your attitude towards the problem~ Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

You actually do need to have the con in JHB. I recall one of the earlier podcasts, the rationale for choosing Bloemfontein was that it was "central". One major hole in that logic: It's not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... ty_map.svg

Bloem might be geographically-central, but it's not population-central. More people live in proximity to JHB than they do to Cape Town. By putting the con in JHB, it's easier for people from both JHB and Durban to get there (the two most populous regions in SA). By putting it in Bloem, it's more difficult for everyone.

If you plan on flying, then you save nothing by having it in Bloem. It costs pretty much the same (time and money wise) to go from CPT->JHB as it does to go from CPT->BFN. Check travelstart.co.za if you don't believe me.

If you're driving, then Bloemfontein is easier, I grant you - if you're departing from Cape Town. I'd say almost 2/3rds of the furries on this board are closer to the JHB side of the map. So we'd inconvenience 66% of our audience, to make it slightly easier for 33% to travel up - which doesn't seem logical.

Neither does the idea of geographic centrality. I wouldn't imagine that any con organizer would simply pick the middle point in a country, without considering access to infrastructure, economies of scale, and simply, where the biggest audience is. And in our case, that's JHB.

So for what it's worth, don't put the con in Bloemfontein, put it in the city where you're gonna get the biggest audience. That just makes far more sense to me.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I agree with Tetsudra. If there was to be a convention held we would have it in JHB. I believe that more people would be willing to travel to JHB than Bloemfontein. Nothing against anyone living there but I have seen more JHB furs than anywhere else really. Obviously some might not be able to join the first "con'' but remember even series have pilot episodes to test their popularity and some of us see those episodes long after the series has been released.

I am going to finish my fursuit in hopes that I can wear it to the 2016 con and I will make random furry merch(Ag sies man) to sell at the con if it was to really happen, which I am seriously hoping will.

Please check out my poll on furry merchandise--> http://forum.zafur.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3193
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I personally think Bloemfontein is a good idea. As a Joburg fur I wouldn't mind driving to Bloem, in fact it would be quite fun. or organising a bus of furs to go to Bloem. That would be quite awesome.

Granted it would cheaper for joburg furs to have the con in Joxi because transport and accommodation would be cheaper. But to me it makes little difference.

That all being said I'd be coming from England for the con, so to me wherever I go would make no difference, be it Jozi or Bloem. Though I think I'd enjoy it in Bloem.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Some of the other reasons for Bloem would be as follows:

One of the things I've been looking at is having a "getaway con" feel. Sans the hustle, bustle and traffic of Jozi? Simply put, Jozi/PTA comes across as too busy. And all the "authentic getaway places" come at a really rough price and probably wouldn't give the kind of satisfaction of a university. Granted, there are Universities here too but don't give the same feeling of "seclusion" that would be a selling point for Bloem. All the universities with residences are off campus and not necessarily central to our needs.

Jozi is becoming an option but the other issue that stands would be the idea that people from Jozi would be less willing to enjoy the night activities and would rather go home (an issue that stood out when it was attempted back in 2012).

If however those of you who say that something like Jozi can work, please pm me a suggestion or two. We're actually beginning to get some of the things necessary for this to work, rolling forward.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I am getting hyped for this now! I really hope this is going to happen, I understand what you mean by rather holding this in Bloem, regardless of destination I'll make the drive.

Another university where it could possibly be held is Vaal University, they have huge grounds that they use for car shows and such. Only a suggestion though.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Gowuffie
Species: Whatever you need me to be.
Region: Western Cape

Post by Gowuffie »

I like the idea of Bloemfontein, or any other small city.

While it will dampen commercial viability - it will increase sense of community and visibility.
Skara
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Grolf

Post by Skara »

Hey guys! So I am new to this site and the forums, but I found this site specifically because I was looking for a convention in South Africa. I am a South African fur by birth, but now I am an Aussie citizen. I would just like to say that I would absolutely love the chance to go back to SA and attend a fur con while I am there. I also know of a few other international furs that feel the same way. The only thing you would need in order to grab their attention and kick start an international guest list is the right kind of advertising. :)
Judge me, and I'll show you how wrong you are.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Skara wrote:Hey guys! So I am new to this site and the forums, but I found this site specifically because I was looking for a convention in South Africa. I am a South African fur by birth, but now I am an Aussie citizen. I would just like to say that I would absolutely love the chance to go back to SA and attend a fur con while I am there. I also know of a few other international furs that feel the same way. The only thing you would need in order to grab their attention and kick start an international guest list is the right kind of advertising. :)

Hi there person of whom I have not met :P Welcome to the forum... I too am a South African fur no longer living in the Africa that is South... so welcome "back".

what's a grolf?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

RavenSong wrote:what's a grolf?
My money is on a Grouse / Wolf hybrid. :P
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Contrast wrote:
and we're taking bets!!! odds are 1:2 Grouse/Wolf, 2:4 Grizzly/Wolf and 2:100 Groundhog/Wolf...
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

RavenSong wrote:
Contrast wrote:
and we're taking bets!!! odds are 1:2 Grouse/Wolf, 2:4 Grizzly/Wolf and 2:100 Groundhog/Wolf...
Omg my bet was on Groundhog or Giraffe!
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I was gonna say Giraffe but that would have been a Wolaffe... or a Girolf... which sounds suspiciously like Geralt...
Skara

Post by Skara »

Hahaha. Sorry I've been gone so long. But Grolf is Gryphon Wolf :3
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Skara wrote:Hahaha. Sorry I've been gone so long. But Grolf is Gryphon Wolf :3
I am so glad you cleared that up for us :) because trust me, we could have gone on for ages about that!

BUT

It is awesome to see someone from the other side of the OTHER pond taking interest in our community!!!!

Hope you come visit one day!
Skara

Post by Skara »

RavenSong wrote:
Skara wrote:Hahaha. Sorry I've been gone so long. But Grolf is Gryphon Wolf :3
I am so glad you cleared that up for us :) because trust me, we could have gone on for ages about that!

BUT

It is awesome to see someone from the other side of the OTHER pond taking interest in our community!!!!

Hope you come visit one day!
I am actually in South Africa now, in Durban! Busy visiting family :D