Art at the Convention - Pro Tips here!

The 2017 South Afrifur Convention was held from 14-17 July at Magalies Retreat with 28 attendees.
Erdwolf_TVL
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Aardwolf
Region: Western Cape

Art at the Convention - Pro Tips here!

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

Those who have not attended a furry convention before, here are a few things that could make your stay more enjoyable!

Cash

Bring along cash. You will want to buy stuff! There will be goods on sale, and there will be commissions and sketchbooks. Cash is so much nicer than struggling with EFTs and running to the ATM every day.

It might also be worth while for artists and dealers to publish their prices and services beforehand so everyone can work out a budget before hard.

Your art

Whether you are a doodler or a pro, other furs will want to look at your stuff. If you draw in traditional media, might I recommend putting everything in flip-files so they don't tarnish.

If you work digitally, bring along your stuff on disk, on memory card or on your phone/tablet. Don't rely on WiFi or data connectivity at the venue.

Bring along anything you have commissioned over the years (if you are comfortable sharing.) Other furs will want to see this, too. If for no other reason, to discover new favorite artists.

Reference Materials

Bring along reference materials of your fursona and characters! In hard copy if possible. It makes artists' work much easier and allows a quicker turn-around time if you can give them loads of reference materials on the spot.

If you plan on drawing, bring books filled with animal pictures. Not everyone knows what a Fossa or a Tasmanian tiger looks like.

Sketchbooks

Buy a blank sketchbook from CNA or Waltons. People will want to draw in it. It will be a precious memento you can cherish forever. Much better than working on loose pages. And it saves the artists from having to supply you with said materials.
Sudan Red
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

Re: Art at the Convention - Pro Tips here!

Post by Sudan Red »

Whoa... these ARE pro tips! I definitely plan on doing sketch/sketchbook commissions, but have no idea what the going rate is. I also want to see if I can do a couple of "YCH" pre-sketched poses to ensure quick turnaround so people can take their art home with them. Again... I've been out of the loop so long that I don't know what a fair price would be.

I usually work at small sizes (A5 & A6 preferred). Would this be something that folks would want?
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Small sizes are fine for me :) I wonder if we shouldn't merge this thread with Sudan's "What I am packing" thread, because between the two of them, they cover a lot of the essentials.
Erdwolf_TVL
Species: Aardwolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

Another thing to consider are composite-YCH commissions, where there are a large number of furries in a picture and everyone buys their "spot".

The bigger picture could be that of a braai or other furry social activity.

(Unsold spots are filled with generic characters.)

Everyone gets a copy of the finished piece.

Electrocat is good at this.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Oh coolness! I can never think of enough interesting poses for such a group pic. I do hope EC is listening... ;)

I should be able to supply some postcard sized YCH if all goes well. Otherwise it is plain ol' sketchbooks for me! :) I'll have to see how much my traditional colouring skills have deteriorated - might be able to offer some colour too.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Would anyone like some pre-booked slots from me before the con? I'm offering about 6 slots at R150 each to be completed/delivered at the con.

WHAT YOU GET:
The bare minimum will be a single character on my new signature brown kraft paper (A6/post card size) - inked & highlighted with white gel pen. Examples can be found in my art thread -
viewtopic.php?f=20&p=105681#p105680

Possible extras may include props, settings/backgrounds or even colour as my mood takes me. :) Dazzle me with inspiration for best results!

GUIDELINES:
- I reserve the right to turn down any request with no reasons given
- I can't do complex characters at this discounted price. PM me & we can work out a custom price for you!
- I am not very good at largely non-organic things (armour, mechas etc) & give my best results with organic characters
- I will assess requests for erotica/fetishes on a case-by-case basis
- Don't hesitate to provide pose references if you have something specific in mind
- If you repost the sketch, please credit back to my FA or my Twitter
- You can pay via EFT or PayPal

Contact me at bluenadirATgmailDOTcom for your slot or if you have any questions.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Oh... PS... I can of course mail to those who want a slot but who are not attending the con. :)
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

This may be easier for me to discuss at the con, but I am interested, yes. I'll bring cash along ;)