Good news re: South-Afrifur

The 2017 South Afrifur Convention was held from 14-17 July at Magalies Retreat with 28 attendees.
Erdwolf_TVL
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Aardwolf
Region: Western Cape

Good news re: South-Afrifur

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

Good news for those who've been put off by the travel to Bloemfontein. The Convention has been relocated to Magaliesburg!

https://south-afrifur.co.za/

I should be getting my plane tickets today. Looking forward to seeing you fuzzies there!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Good news re: South-Afrifur

Post by Leeward »

Now why am I totally unsurprised by this turn of events? :lol:
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I'm sorry to be a little late on the update here on the forum for this information, as the web information says, there was a last minute cancellation from Bloem in respect to our booking. Thanks Erdwolf for the post and your enthusiasm. We really appreciate it. For those of you who do have questions I'm willing to attempt to answer them either via pm or here or whichever medium you would like to use.

We understand that the move is unprecedented but as we've put a lot of effort into this event already it was imperative that we see it through to completion, hopefully it also means more people would be able to attend and we hope to see you there.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

I am much more likely to attend - Magaliesburg is about 45mins from my house. So that means even if my work interferes with subpoenas etc, it won't be disasterous. Can take a halfday at work instead of having to take a full day off on the Friday.

How many people are attending at present?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

With that news, I am now also more likely to attend. There is no guarantee, but it is far more feasible than going all the way to Bloemfontein. To be frank, I think this location was more ideal from the start for more people.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That still leaves the CT furs in the dark, of course.

At least it's not rubbish for everyone now.
Kievvu
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

hahaha "for those put off by the travel to Bloemfontein"
Yes...for all the people up there who were put off by it. Not for the ones down here considering it's now much further away. :3
Although I suppose it is good news for me since I didn't pay yet which is great since now I can't go (: Yay for money saved!!
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Why not have a twin event? One in GP, one in CT, same weekend, with maybe a livestream or two between them? It would really make the event unique! I am sure the community stalwarts in CT will be capable of arranging - there seems to sufficient interest in this thread alone to warrant it.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Sudan Red wrote:Why not have a twin event? One in GP, one in CT, same weekend, with maybe a livestream or two between them? It would really make the event unique! I am sure the community stalwarts in CT will be capable of arranging - there seems to sufficient interest in this thread alone to warrant it.
Personal experience from before this con - Some people say they are interested, but then when it comes to money being paid, they are not really sure, or can only tell me when the con starts or ...
We have looked at venues in CT and it is really, really expensive to have a convention there. The same goes for Gauteng - we were really lucky to find this venue in the first place, and it's already quite far out of the cities.
Also, the venues needs deposits, and we only have enough money so far to pay the deposit for one venue. We need to get the balance of the payments from the attendees to pay for the rest of the booking, plus other expenses.

Also, the idea of the con was for people to physically meet, especially from the other areas. Yes, we have the braais where the Gauteng people get together, but we rarely interact with the CT or others, and that's what we want to achieve here, to get a gobal South African meet/con, rather than a regional one. Would AC work as well as a split con, with a venue each in 50 states, linked via video, or EF work as well as seperate events in each European country?

If there's a lot of people that asks for a CT venue we could try it, certainly, I am open to trying it.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Valerion wrote:
Sudan Red wrote:Why not have a twin event? One in GP, one in CT, same weekend, with maybe a livestream or two between them? It would really make the event unique! I am sure the community stalwarts in CT will be capable of arranging - there seems to sufficient interest in this thread alone to warrant it.
Personal experience from before this con - Some people say they are interested, but then when it comes to money being paid, they are not really sure, or can only tell me when the con starts or ...
We have looked at venues in CT and it is really, really expensive to have a convention there. The same goes for Gauteng - we were really lucky to find this venue in the first place, and it's already quite far out of the cities.
Also, the venues needs deposits, and we only have enough money so far to pay the deposit for one venue. We need to get the balance of the payments from the attendees to pay for the rest of the booking, plus other expenses.

Also, the idea of the con was for people to physically meet, especially from the other areas. Yes, we have the braais where the Gauteng people get together, but we rarely interact with the CT or others, and that's what we want to achieve here, to get a gobal South African meet/con, rather than a regional one. Would AC work as well as a split con, with a venue each in 50 states, linked via video, or EF work as well as seperate events in each European country?

If there's a lot of people that asks for a CT venue we could try it, certainly, I am open to trying it.
Exactly. It is unfortunate that you had to walk into my point, Valerion. ;) #itsatrap There are your reasons, folks.
Victor
Species: Tataur (feline taur)

Post by Victor »

The biggest downfall of cons of the past was the venue. This goes for cons in both Jhb/Pta and CPT
People are interested in the cons, but don't want to spend money.
Those local to the con don't want to pay to stay at the con, resulting in only the visitors from abroad having to pay.
And thus the con fails in the planning stages as there not enough interest.

This con are planned so that all have to stay over. It's still a 90 minutes drive from Jhb.
It's planned with events in mind.
People abroad was complaining that it was too expensive to fly to Bloemfontein, while it is cheaper to fly to Jhb.
I don't know if there is any transport (like busses) to Magalies, but somehow don't think so.
I know there are a few that will drive up to the venue, so there is a possibility to get a ride. I think the plan is to sort that out later, closer to the time.

I flew down to the last 'con' in Port Elizabeth (WikiFur)
I had a great time there and one thing I learned. Those that left to go home, missed out on the fun.

Yea... It cost money. This is my 'holiday' as the last time I went away to any place for a holiday was in 2010. Else I stay home when I'm on holiday.
And with recent event, I'm strapped for cash also. Last year my Salary nett dropped due to increases in costs. And I'm still going to try and make it.
http://victor.furryplace.eu
“Conquests will come and go but this work will endure.”
.......................................................Napoleon 1806
[/size]Tataur Homepage ..... ..... FurAffinity ..... SoFurry ..... ..... ZAFur Map ..... FurryMap ..... ..... FurryMate ..... Pounced
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

I reeeeaaaally need to know about sleeping arrangements since it seems to be dorm style sleeping quarters. Will I be the only chick potentially sharing with a bunch of guys or alternatively will I be sleeping all by my lonesome?

So questions clarified:
1. Is this unisex sleeping arrangements?
2. Will there be a good (any?) representation of the fairer sex? :)
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Sorry to be a pest - but is there any answers to my questions above?
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Hey Sudan, sorry for the wait, as far as I know I think there are at least one or two interested female attendees and we're obviously hoping for more to even out the ratio.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Sudan Red wrote:2. Will there be a good (any?) representation of the fairer sex?
I am also interested in this question. For.. ... reasons. Yeah. :P

Ahem... Ivic, I don't think you answered her first question. ;)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'm convinced that females representing 50% of the population is a myth. :P

How is it that the industry that I work in, along with all of my interests, is so male dominated?
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Sev wrote:I'm convinced that females representing 50% of the population is a myth. :P

How is it that the industry that I work in, along with all of my interests, is so male dominated?
In the PR, marketing and Communications industry its the opposite.
Women every where. (The Gossipy type too)
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Galahad wrote:
Sudan Red wrote:2. Will there be a good (any?) representation of the fairer sex?
I am also interested in this question. For.. ... reasons. Yeah. :P

Ahem... Ivic, I don't think you answered her first question. ;)
Hahaha... reasons. Yeah.

Info on sleeping/ablution arrangements would be awesome.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Sev wrote:I'm convinced that females representing 50% of the population is a myth. :P

Because you do a real man's job. None of this cleaning or product modelling non-sense here.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Soooo when is registration/payments closing?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

According to the e-mail that was sent out on 25 May, the "absolute cut-off date (no exceptions) for full payment will be Wednesday 21st June".
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Galahad wrote:According to the e-mail that was sent out on 25 May, the "absolute cut-off date (no exceptions) for full payment will be Wednesday 21st June".
That went into my spam folder. ^___^;; Found it two days later when Erdwolf pointed it out. Doh...

STILL WANNA KNOW ABOUT SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS, PLEASE! I will even go as far as contacting the venue myself to get this info.
Yukon
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

Sleeping arrangements are as follows and we will assign a room for females only based on the number of females attending.
RUTH'S PLACE TOTAL BEDS 42
Room 1 4 x Double Bunks (8 total) Basin, Toilet, 2 x Showers - en suite
Room 2 6 x Double Bunks (12 total) Basin, Toilet, 2 x Showers - opposite
Room 3 4 x Double Bunks (8 total) Basin, Toilet, 2 x Showers - opposite
Room 4 3 x Double Bunks (6 total) Basin, Toilet, Shower - en suite
Room 5 4 x Double Bunks (8 total) Basin, Toilet, Shower - en suite
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Wow, those are crowded rooms.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Yukon wrote:Sleeping arrangements are as follows and we will assign a room for females only based on the number of females attending.
RUTH'S PLACE TOTAL BEDS 42
Room 1 4 x Double Bunks (8 total) Basin, Toilet, 2 x Showers - en suite
Room 2 6 x Double Bunks (12 total) Basin, Toilet, 2 x Showers - opposite
Room 3 4 x Double Bunks (8 total) Basin, Toilet, 2 x Showers - opposite
Room 4 3 x Double Bunks (6 total) Basin, Toilet, Shower - en suite
Room 5 4 x Double Bunks (8 total) Basin, Toilet, Shower - en suite
Woohoo! Thanks! Now to scrape my pennies together & apply for leave.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Hmmm trying to send you folks money, but my instructions email hasn't surfaced yet. Can someone confirm whether it has been sent?
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

I've emailed this to you now, if you don't get it please check your junk folder or PM me.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Yukon wrote:I've emailed this to you now, if you don't get it please check your junk folder or PM me.
Got it! Muchas gracias!
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

Payment received, see you at the convention! ^.^
Erdwolf_TVL
Species: Aardwolf

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

Hurray for Lioness! Looking forward to finally meeting you in real life!