So I got thinking after seeing this...

The 2017 South Afrifur Convention was held from 14-17 July at Magalies Retreat with 28 attendees.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: So I got thinking after seeing this...

Post by Leeward »

I thought it was pertinent to my point about the prevailing ego problem, but whatever.

Okay fine so maybe the forum, podcast, and convention aren't technically affiliated with each other, but they are still effectively the de-facto representative entities of the fandom in SA, and have a lot in common especially when it comes to who's in charge. That doesn't detract from my claim that it's an extremely ambitious and presumptuous venture at all.
Erdwolf_TVL
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Aardwolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

I'd support this venture just for the sake of supporting those who are willing to try and make it work.

"Fortune favors the bold."

The only thing I would do differently is to put the management of the con into a Section 21 (non-profit) company for tax benefits and to handle decisions and finances in a more structured manner. IE, draw up a constitution, establish a quorum, have meetings, etc. However this is not everyone's cup of tea and is by no means a determining factor of the con's success.

I certainly don't have the time to volunteer for this. With the two kids I need to book bathroom breaks in advance :)
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

Erdwolf_TVL wrote:The only thing I would do differently is to put the management of the con into a Section 21 (non-profit) company for tax benefits and to handle decisions and finances in a more structured manner. IE, draw up a constitution, establish a quorum, have meetings, etc. However this is not everyone's cup of tea and is by no means a determining factor of the con's success.
We have actually discussed this extensively, and we do want to make this happen. However, establishing a Chapter 21 NPO is extremely expensive, and we don't have revenue to justify that yet. But yes, that is the ideal.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

it also has it's risks, my mom set up a portion of her ballet company as a chapter 21 NPO and when SARS found out she also works for another ballet company (something she'd checked with them before registering) they tried to double tax her other company earnings :(
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

RavenSong wrote:it also has it's risks, my mom set up a portion of her ballet company as a chapter 21 NPO and when SARS found out she also works for another ballet company (something she'd checked with them before registering) they tried to double tax her other company earnings :(
The reason why I couldn't be involved further with a pty lmtd behind my name. That and the move and chaos in my job and everything.
Erdwolf_TVL
Species: Aardwolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

@Franky, @Ravensong, all valid. In the end, I guess Section 21 or company is only going to work if there is a pot of money to manage. Might take a few years, but I'm sure we'll get there!

I own a Company, though it is for different reasons. A bit more paperwork, but otherwise it's been working quite well to separate my personal endeavors.