15 October 2014-Con logistics

For discussion of the South Afrifur Pawdcast episodes.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

15 October 2014-Con logistics

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

tonight's topic is the logistics behind a con. Listen in and give your opinion. This one should be a cracker.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: 15 October 2014-Con logistics

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

How about a link?

Though from personal experience, trying to organise a con is nightmare. Especially here with the limited pool of furs.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:How about a link?

Though from personal experience, trying to organise a con is nightmare. Especially here with the limited pool of furs.
mixlr.com/south-afrifur/

This would be why we're looking into the idea in the future
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Hey guys! If you wanna hear the 'unedited' version of last night's podcast go here:
http://mixlr.com/south-afrifur/showreel/

Otherwise if your bandwidth is a bit meh wait for the upload on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCooEdo ... LvUUWnPE2g
SirenLeo
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Snox (Snow leopard/ Fox)

Re: South Afrifur the Pawdcast!

Post by SirenLeo »

So just on the topic of the big meet on the last pawdcast, I think a good idea would be to have an indemnity form on which ever site, or other method, used to sign up. This indemnity should absolve all the "managing furries" or furry community from anything that happens at the event. So if a young fur goes off and has a "special moment" with an older furry or decides getting plastered is a good idea nothing can happen to the furs. Its an idea. \o/
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

SirenLeo wrote:So just on the topic of the big meet on the last pawdcast, I think a good idea would be to have an indemnity form on which ever site, or other method, used to sign up. This indemnity should absolve all the "managing furries" or furry community from anything that happens at the event. So if a young fur goes off and has a "special moment" with an older furry or decides getting plastered is a good idea nothing can happen to the furs. Its an idea. \o/
Are you saying we need a form to exclude people from responsibility because we cannot trust them?

Yeah that's not gonna happen.

If an older fur 'accidentally' does something illegal with or to a minor, then it is THEIR fault. We're not gonna use a stupid form to try and protect them, they messed up. They should be responsible.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Fluke wrote:Are you saying we need a form to exclude people from responsibility because we cannot trust them?

If an older fur 'accidentally' does something illegal with or to a minor, then it is THEIR fault. We're not gonna use a stupid form to try and protect them, they messed up. They should be responsible.
You've missed the point completely. Indemnity forms are there to protect the con organisers, not the attendees and they are a good idea. When I was organising the South Afrifur meet in Cape Town indemnity forms were going to be a requirement. They can't completely remove responsibility but they provide a certain amount of protection. Then, if someone does do something stupid and gets hurt, the organisers can say, "Here's the form where he agreed that we are not responsible for his actions."
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Fluke wrote:Are you saying we need a form to exclude people from responsibility because we cannot trust them?

You've missed the point completely. Indemnity forms are there to protect the con organisers, not the attendees and they are a good idea. When I was organising the South Afrifur meet in Cape Town indemnity forms were going to be a requirement. They can't completely remove responsibility but they provide a certain amount of protection. Then, if someone does do something stupid and gets hurt, the organisers can say, "Here's the form where he agreed that we are not responsible for his actions."
I agree. However, he made it sound as he was going to use it as a form to excuse people from injuring others - not themselves.
SirenLeo
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Snox (Snow leopard/ Fox)

Post by SirenLeo »

Fluke wrote:
SirenLeo wrote:So just on the topic of the big meet on the last pawdcast, I think a good idea would be to have an indemnity form on which ever site, or other method, used to sign up. This indemnity should absolve all the "managing furries" or furry community from anything that happens at the event. So if a young fur goes off and has a "special moment" with an older furry or decides getting plastered is a good idea nothing can happen to the furs. Its an idea. \o/
Are you saying we need a form to exclude people from responsibility because we cannot trust them?

No not to protect them. Usually the case is that the people who organised the event get sued along with the person who perpetrated the deed. Its common practice to have a indemnity form with these types of events in case something happens, whether it is of a sexual nature, alcohol poisoning, any other form of injury or anything else that could be considered harmful, dangerous or of a unsavoury nature. I'm not saying that we protect the people that do something wrong, if that happens, what I'm saying is that if someone is stupid or has an accident they can't turn around and say "Its your event I blame you."
Fluke wrote:
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:

I agree. However, he made it sound as he was going to use it as a form to excuse people from injuring others - not themselves.
Just to clarify that is NOT what I meant in the least, people should always be liable for their actions. There is no need to get offensive. Just trying to help.