Leeworks Gear

Advertise and buy/sell your services here.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Leeworks Gear

Post by Leeward »

Greetings fellow furs,

I would like to direct your attention towards my new website: Leeworks Gear.

The URL will most probably be temporary; I don't want to register a domain yet, at least not until the catalogue contains examples instead of placeholders.

Which is why I am posting here! I am currently looking for requests for prototypes, which I will make for you at cost price plus shipping if any.

Also, if you have any feedback regarding the website itself, I would love to hear it!
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

Re: Leeworks Gear

Post by Trace »

Hey Leeward! I checked out your site a bit. I think that's a really cool idea.
(To be honest, I took a look at it the other day and was a little off-put by your mention of bondage on the site's front page. I don't really have very strong feelings about BDSM either way, but I'm not into it myself... Anyway, I might have suggested the removal of the word if you hadn't done it already. I'm sure those who care about it will be able to read between the lines anyway. ;) )
I think the site looks pretty good at this point for the most part. Probably the biggest suggestion I would have would be to address what you've already mentioned and show examples/samples instead of placeholder pictures. Expanding from there, I might suggest that eventually you have a few (maybe even just one or two) basic things in each category that people can order directly without having to come up with them themselves. I think that would both appeal to those who don't want to think too hard about what they want, and also provide a better starting point for those who do want something more custom-made. That might also help provide a decent starting point for price quotes, which will likely help both you and customers.
I might suggest changing the name of the "cuffs" category to something like "bracelets/cuffs". I think that might be better encompassing of what you're offering, just based on the placeholder pictures that you show. Other than that, I think the site is looking pretty good!
For my own part, I might be in the market for a collar at some point. Being able to get one custom made certainly sounds a lot more appealing than trying to find a dog collar somewhere...
I understand that you are still in the prototype phase at this point, but I would like to see a couple of examples and sample prices before I think about ordering something, especially since overseas shipping will also likely be an issue for me. Like I said, I think seeing some examples would also help me figure out what I might want.
Anyway, I hope that helps a bit! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this!
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by TheOldWolf »

Well, Trace summed up my thoughts in their entirety.
I'd be keen for a collar, when I can afford it!
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it. The critique really helps.
Trace wrote:To be honest, I took a look at it the other day and was a little off-put by your mention of bondage on the site's front page. I don't really have very strong feelings about BDSM either way, but I'm not into it myself... Anyway, I might have suggested the removal of the word if you hadn't done it already. I'm sure those who care about it will be able to read between the lines anyway. ;)
I agree, in hindsight that was a rather cringeworthy idea mentioning it on the front page. I've limited its presence to the About page, if people really want to know. :lol:
Probably the biggest suggestion I would have would be to address what you've already mentioned and show examples/samples instead of placeholder pictures. Expanding from there, I might suggest that eventually you have a few (maybe even just one or two) basic things in each category that people can order directly without having to come up with them themselves. I think that would both appeal to those who don't want to think too hard about what they want, and also provide a better starting point for those who do want something more custom-made. That might also help provide a decent starting point for price quotes, which will likely help both you and customers.
That was the idea. :) I just need a few more prototypes before I can do that, hence the placeholders. I've got four in the works so far.
I might suggest changing the name of the "cuffs" category to something like "bracelets/cuffs". I think that might be better encompassing of what you're offering, just based on the placeholder pictures that you show.
I think "bracers and cuffs" would actually describe it better, but thanks for the suggestion, it was indeed a little vague.
Being able to get one custom made certainly sounds a lot more appealing than trying to find a dog collar somewhere...
Hooray, my market strategy exactly! :D
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

oooh! OwO so you make custom... O_o wait, what do you make custom exactly? i'm seeing leather works and possibly fur fabric? what kinda materials you work with? would you be able to make a small statue of an umbreon that umbreon cultists can worship? you make NSFW products? if so, you are going to include a disclaimer with some products to cover your ass legally right? lastly... there is some place on the website that answers all these questions but i'm just too stupid to find it right?
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Animew wrote:oooh! OwO so you make custom... O_o wait, what do you make custom exactly?
Sewn equipment and accessories, such as collars and harnesses. Says so on the Home and About pages, and pretty thoroughly explored in the catalogue.
i'm seeing leather works and possibly fur fabric?
Not fur. I did make my fursuit but I'm not interested in taking those types of commissions, at least not yet. That's not the point of this venture anyway. My aim is to supply goods that are complementary to fursuits, as well as what may appeal to furries in general.
what kinda materials you work with?
At the moment I'm using mostly webbing (nylon or cotton), canvas, and fastenings like D-rings, buckles and clips (plastic or metal). I can also get hold of stuff like tags, bells, frills, feather ruffs, chains, and other embellishments. In future I'll also offer leather, pleather, and possibly other materials.
would you be able to make a small statue of an umbreon that umbreon cultists can worship?
I would be able to, but that's beyond the scope of what I hope to market here. You can sculpt or 3D print that, which isn't what I'm doing.
you make NSFW products? if so, you are going to include a disclaimer with some products to cover your ass legally right?
Not per se. They can be used as such, but that's none of my business and I'm not really bothered to know what my customers do with their goods. Handcuffs aren't NSFW products, but they sure as hell are used as such; that doesn't mean everyone who sells them has to know what you're going to use them for. Similarly, collars and harnesses don't necessarily have to be specific to a sexual context. I'll be sure to cover that in my FAQ though so thanks for mentioning it.
lastly... there is some place on the website that answers all these questions but i'm just too stupid to find it right?
There is an FAQ.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Just FYI, I've updated and simplified the site rather drastically.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Moar update.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

I really like the site redesign, Leeward. I think that pretty much all of the changes that you've made do quite a bit towards making the site more appealing.
The stripping down of the order form might be where I'd take a bit of issue, as I imagine there are people like myself who wouldn't necessarily know offhand what materials to ask for when wanting a commission. However, I do also appreciate that the new method allows more freedom for asking for anything, and the old form was a bit limiting. So I wouldn't say that anything necessarily needs to change, really.
I really like the example you have up thus far. It's a simple design, but a very appealing one. It's pretty cute. :3
I know that you aren't currently shipping out of SA, but please let me know when that changes. I'm still interested! :P
I'm looking forward to seeing what else you make!
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thank you for your thorough input Trace. I think what I'll do is make a materials guide page that's not on the menu but has a link to it on the contact page, and a text template that people can copy/paste into the message box to fill in if they want. Does that sound better?

I'd be happy to make an exception to my SA-only rule to show my gratitude, but I'll need your help finding the cheapest way to get it across... all I can find charges like 10x the value of a collar, which would obviously not be worth it for you.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

That sounds awesome to me. Ooh, that materials guide actually does help quite a bit. Well done.
Thank you, I'd really appreciate that. Looking at postage options, there are some really pricey ones for sure... :shock: From what I can tell from a little bit of research, you might be able to get decent rates through the South African Postal service: (https://www.sapo.co.za/) (https://www.sapo.co.za/ContactUs/Questi ... lrates.pdf)
Keep me posted on what you figure out, I suppose. Please don't stress too much about it though. If it's a hassle, I'd rather you didn't worry too much about it. I can wait a while longer if need be. Who knows, maybe I'll get to visit SA sometime not too far off. :P
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The South African Postal Service is notorious for strikes and lost packages, I'd rather not trust them if I can avoid it.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Good to know... I guess I'll have to look into other options a bit more. I *might* be willing to chance it if absolutely necessary, but I agree, it would be nice to avoid a service that might not work.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The cheapest I've found so far is DHL Global Express shipping at R420 (about $30). I'll keep looking. Seems things have gotten better since the last SAPO crisis at least so that's a doable option.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Yeah, I think I found a similar price in at least one other place, compared to SAPO having about a third of that price. Of course there are other options that go up to R1700 and beyond...
R420 is still a bit pricey... But like I said, don't stress too much about it. If need be we could probably go with SAPO and hope for the best.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Well if you give me the details I'd be happy to make it so long. ^^
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

"Clawed pleather gloves"?! My interest is super-piqued!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I just found out that apparently SAPO is now pretty much sorted for outbound international mail, so there you go. :)
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Awesome!
I'd still like to see a couple more examples before I make an order myself, mostly just to figure out what I want. Your upcoming projects sound really cool, and they might give me a better idea of what I could ask for. I will plan to commission something soon though. I am excited.
Also I have to agree with Sudan, those gloves sound pretty awesome too... I'd love to see what those look like as well! (Maybe I'll even consider some myself...)
Dash
Species: Human

Post by Dash »

It's definitely an awesome start to a good site. The only problem that I can see is that everything is white, just lots of white, no pictures of anything or the products that have been made so far.

Since this is a website for custom / specialty items, maybe some actual images of finished or sold works. Might encourage people to give it a go, and order one. Maybe making the website more interact-able? Like images to click on, articles to read, feedback to give, things like that can get people active for the few seconds that you need to convince them.

On the contact form, there's a few things I would address aswell. Since you only offer a limited amount of products. Collars, Halters, Harnesses and Misc items, expand the feedback form to have a dropbox so people can select what type of product, then text boxes for the rest of the items, So people know exactly what they have to fill in. Having text to copy and paste will only lead to idiots ignoring it.

"Are these erotic/sexual/bondage/BDSM products?"
Me likey.
Science isn't about WHY, it's about WHY NOT!
― Cave Johnson
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Dash wrote:It's definitely an awesome start to a good site.
Thank you.
The only problem that I can see is that everything is white, just lots of white, no pictures of anything or the products that have been made so far. [...] Since this is a website for custom / specialty items, maybe some actual images of finished or sold works. Might encourage people to give it a go, and order one.
I'm actively working on that. The items without pictures are not completed yet.
Maybe making the website more interact-able? Like images to click on, articles to read, feedback to give, things like that can get people active for the few seconds that you need to convince them.
It is already as interactive as it needs to be. The images can be clicked on to enlarge them, and feedback can be given via the contact page. I don't see what I could possibly write articles about that wouldn't be immediately TL;DR'ed (there was a blog/news section but I removed it because who reads that shit). I'm not looking to convince anyone to buy stuff from me; this isn't a business, just something I do for fun. You want something, you look in my gallery for similar stuff, you ask if I can make your thing. That's it. Maybe later on if this becomes popular I'll look into marketing and turning a profit, but right now I'm content just breaking even and building up my experience and portfolio.
On the contact form, there's a few things I would address aswell. Since you only offer a limited amount of products. Collars, Halters, Harnesses and Misc items, expand the feedback form to have a dropbox so people can select what type of product, then text boxes for the rest of the items, So people know exactly what they have to fill in. Having text to copy and paste will only lead to idiots ignoring it.
You can see from the previous messages that that's what I had there before. It doesn't work well, because half the fields don't apply to half the products. I'd much rather have someone briefly describe what they want and discuss the details together if they're not sure, than receive a form full of blanks. I really don't mind if someone ignores the template, because if say you want a neon yellow fursuit harness with reindeer bells on it, it's much simpler to write it like that than to trudge through a whole bunch of options you're not interested in.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Oh! Sorry, I was under the impression that this was all a full time business.
Ignore me then, I'm being over analyzing!
― Cave Johnson
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

No worries, understandable misinterpretation. :P Well, I don't think I know of anyone crazy enough to think they could do something like this for a living, but you never know! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I had a brainwave today that's going to allow me to start making my own tags, including custom shapes (e.g. heart, paw, w/ ears, military dog tag style, etc) and even charms. More on that once I've made a few.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Leeward wrote:I had a brainwave today that's going to allow me to start making my own tags, including custom shapes (e.g. heart, paw, w/ ears, military dog tag style, etc) and even charms. More on that once I've made a few.
That's awesome! I may be getting a few things made if they all come out well.
― Cave Johnson
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Hi all, I've given the whole site a facelift and made a new logo.
There are also new pics in the gallery.

Please let me know what you think.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Hey Leeward!
I love the redesign. I think it looks really good! You've made some pretty awesome stuff thus far.
So you're making custom plushies now? That sounds amazing!
"In progress:
Scarlet, tongue buckle, fleece lined, round nickel tag"
*Gasps* Ooh! *Tail wags*
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

Oh yes! Those collars are really neat. Would definitely look into purchasing a halter and Nash plushie in the future!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thanks Trace and Nash! :D I haven't made any plushies yet, but I'm confident enough in my skills by now to give it a bash when a guinea pig shows up. ^^
Trace wrote:"In progress:
Scarlet, tongue buckle, fleece lined, round nickel tag"
*Gasps* Ooh! *Tail wags*
Well spotted! ;)
Nasheera wrote:Would definitely look into purchasing a halter [...] in the future!
Yay! That would be my first! But I have to ask for disclaimer purposes... fursuit or horse?
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

Leeward wrote:Yay! That would be my first! But I have to ask for disclaimer purposes... fursuit or horse?
The halter would be for a fursuit! I've stockpiled enough horse halters to last me a lifetime. Wait if it's for a fursuit then it's a harness. Uhm... I'm confusing myself.

Yes, sorry, I meant a fursuit harness! Just double checked.