Discuss movies and TV stuff in here.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

High Rise

Post by Raven Song »

I've been debating on whether or not I wanted to "review" this film... I'm not a reviewer, though I do so for friends and family because for some reason they respect my opinion. I suppose seeing as I'll be one of the few people in my social circle to see it, I don't mind making a "review" because the chances of someone actually watching the film is slim to none... just because not everyone can (I don't think it's being released in SA) and not everyone is interested in Psychological Thrillers.

So here goes:

Last night, I came to a budding realisation. I am part of a small community of movie goers. As far as art forms are concerned, movies are by far the most popular, and lucrative, form in existence. This is the driving force behind films, and why we so many bad movies flaunt themselves across the screen.

But every now and then a real gem graces our eyes, and it's usually the most heart wrenchingly sad tale of a film made for the love of film, the love of thought, and the uncaring attitude that it may never succeed like the others around it.

I remember waiting, like a select few, after the credits were done rolling. We'd been seated in an artistic little theatre in the east of London, and thought he cinema was far from full, the air around us throughout the epic had been thick with suspense and intrigue. Those of us who remained sat in wonder, perplexed by the events which had transpired upon the big screen before us.

High Rise is not a story for the faint hearted. The subtle undertones of humanity lost will most likely wash over and away from the majority of movie goers. Not because they are any less intelligent, or capable of thought than us, but rather because film has desensitised us to these things. We go into a film expecting everything from drama, to romance to action to comedy. And the beauty is these are all present in High Rise. However to find them, one must look beyond what is on the screen.

There are many moments in the film where what is happening in the main view of the camera is not the reason for the scene to be present. It is that artistry, that, boldness of creativity that gives the film a greater depth. Those few of us remaining behind all sat in silence. Once by one we rose and left the theatre, not a word being spoken by any of us. One girl turned and uttered a single sentence I think I will forever hold true to this film.

"I am Laing".

It's true in a sense. You either find yourself watching this film, or you find yourself, watching this film.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso