Build a South African commission website?

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
vakie
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Fox
Region: Gauteng

Build a South African commission website?

Post by vakie »

Does anyone think there is a demand for a more dedicated website for commissions here in SA? Unfortunately the ZAR took quite a steep dive compared to the dollar so commissions in USD costs a lot more now.

Maybe we should create a website that can act as a middle man for commissions? I'm not sure if there are already any local sites doing this? I do know that people to advertise on the forum but it's difficult to keep track and a pain to update and there is also a certain risk factor.

Let me know what your thoughts are and if there is anyone willing to help me on this project if we go through with it.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Re: Build a South African commission website?

Post by Raven Song »

There aren't as I know of. There are some local furs doing art etc. for rands... and then some doing for dollars... but I don't know of any sites SA specific for it...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

o.0 What do you mean a middle man for commissions? Are you talking about an escrow? Also not sure what risk factor you're talking about that wouldn't exist in other places. Many furry sites have functions to manage commissions already and I think someone was setting up something similar.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm pretty sure that artists would rather ask for USD than ZAR for that exact reason.
vakie

Post by vakie »

:ugeek:
o.0 What do you mean a middle man for commissions? Are you talking about an escrow? Also not sure what risk factor you're talking about that wouldn't exist in other places. Many furry sites have functions to manage commissions already and I think someone was setting up something similar.
Yes I'm talking about an escrow. I know there are a lot of sites that manage commissions but I don't know of any local sites that do.
I'm pretty sure that artists would rather ask for USD than ZAR for that exact reason.
The issue is that if both people are located in South Africa they have to pay an unnecessary conversion fee if they use USD.

I just want to know if people would use a site dedicated to the South African furry community? Maybe we can even integrate it with ZA Furries. I'm also not trying to make a profit out of it, just need to cover hosting fees and what not but it's not going to be expensive.

Thoughts? :ugeek:
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

If both people are in SA can't person1 just pay directly into person2's bank account?
I mean, if the artist has prices in USD, just google what the ZAR would be and pay that over?
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That would make the most sense.
vakie

Post by vakie »

If both people are in SA can't person1 just pay directly into person2's bank account?
I mean, if the artist has prices in USD, just google what the ZAR would be and pay that over?
There's not really much of a reason why you couldn't do that, I just think it's easier to do it this way. Makes it easier to meet people doing commissions. The artist could also list when they are available etc. We could integrate it with their deviant art profiles etc if necessary.

The main issue I see is that if an artist does commissions internationally it would cause an inconvenience to create yet another profile for a niche market.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

If you're going to handle money I think the regulations will be far more effort than it's worth.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
vakie

Post by vakie »

If you're going to handle money I think the regulations will be far more effort than it's worth.
Yeah that is true. In any case, I'll put the project on hold for now and do some more research and get to know the community some more. Maybe next year or something.

Thanks for the input people!