Gaming Development - Newbie here

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Nanukk
Nightclub manager
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: River Otter
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Gaming Development - Newbie here

Post by Nanukk »

Lol, got myself into training programming thanks to a dillo spiky friend of mine. Im a newbie at it, but Im enjoying the training (Note: Im teaching myself).

Anyone do programming too? Maybe we can help each other when we run into trouble with a code lol.

=D Game Development!
'The world's fantasy is it's greatest reality' ~Sean Cameron 2002
SilverDragon
Ilache Darastri
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Re: Gaming Development - Newbie here

Post by SilverDragon »

Hi Nanukk, nice to meet you..

I'm into programming a bit myself, not too good at it yet, but I'm going to study further next year. If you have any questions I'll do my best to help you ^^
---------------------
PSN ID:
Acronix_23
---------------------
(\_/)
(O.o)
This is Bunny.
(> <) He is on his way to World Domination
Red
Down Under Fozzy
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Post by Red »

What kind of programming are you doing at the moment?

I am a games student currently studying at university, I am more into 3D modelling aspect of games design though, but I do programming as part of the course as well. Currently using the GLUT OpenGL programming language which is complex, but very interesting!

Cheers, Red. :D
This signature is blank.
szczurex
Lord of the keyboard
Species: Gray Wolf
Region: Other

Post by szczurex »

Game development? Good idea, i've ben thinking of trying the same.

But i barely started C++, so i'm a newbie at programming right now :3

But remember - after that comes modelling, texturing, scripting and such.
It's far more complicated to make a game engine AND a game.

Unless you want to go easy - Use Blitz3D (BlitzBASIC based language, that is aimed for creating games)
I'm a .
I DO bite. :3
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Post by anoyomouse »

I'm a developer by trade ...

i do C# alll day, and love every bit of it

I started a MUD (telnet in text) with a friend, after 10k lines of code the project is kinda dead, but i can help with most things if you need help, PM, or IM, or yell ;)

I can do C,C++,C# or Python scripting

I did a course on 3d design and development, and that turned into working with primatives, and things, which i was really not good at, but i like backend engine kind of stuff, so yeah, i can help ;)
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

I dabble in C, and have used Basic and Pascal before. I am more of an expert in scripting languages like Perl. But if you need info, ask. Principles are usually the same :)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I can't programmes but I was interested in making games a while back. Looked at various little engines where you just add your own pics. lol. I can only use OHRRPGCE (Official Hamster Republic RPG Construction Engine).
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Nanukk
Nightclub manager

Post by Nanukk »

SilverDragon - I sure will ask hehe, Im basicly using a familiar program called Visual Studios and sometimes on the orums getting 'their' tutorials.

Red - Hehe, Im 'self' studying C# and hopefully my forgetful teacher will remember to bring me VS Java and a huge book of how to use it, OH how exciting! ^^ GLUT? Never heard of that lol.

szczurex - hmmm. Im okay, I have Xna Game studio Express for C# tha Im studing into. Is h a r d hard...o.o and Blitz3D, maybe I will look into it.

anoyomouse - awesome! Im busy with C# too, but Im doing 2D design and Tilesets and avatars and menu working. ^^' Im a neeeew newbie. lol

Valerion - Thats really cool, wish I could understand the codes...Im doing tutorials to learn wha they code, dont think I can do it unless Im a mathmatision. (Did I spell it right?)

Growlithe - ^^ oooooh. I wonder where I can download that.

Phew. So much typing. But I hate not to reply lol. Cant this part of the furom be about FAQ or coding to help each other out?
Red
Down Under Fozzy

Post by Red »

GLUT OpenGL is a programming language used for the OpenGL graphic engine. It is fun sometimes, or a pain to do depending on what you want to display. So this programming language is used for creating displays and interactive real time renders on your graphic card.

This signature is blank.
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Heh, there's no FAQ to programming, you ask questions and we'll answer them

i dunno if all of them are frequently asked, but they all need answers ;) (even the silly questions)

Quick google search -> C# OpenGL

I was playing around with DirectDraw and C# using the Manged DirectX layer back in DirectX 8 when they still included Direct Draw, i much prefer 2D to 3D, or as i said, engine work.

Maybe the best way to learn something new is to sit down with a friend, with a silly project in mind and just go for it, and see how far you get, and help each other when you fall, always a good way to pick up things and interesting tricks.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

You can get the OHRRPGCE at http://www.hamsterrepublic.com. It only works in 2D though and is rather limited. Can do some fun stuff with it though. The site itself also has a cool little cartoon and stories about Bob the Hamster.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Nanukk
Nightclub manager

Post by Nanukk »

ARGH! Sometimes I hate books. Today I got a Java Language Disc with a big book. I read the book and if programmers know, the 'traditional' first program is 'HelloWorld'

Well I made the java. Then I have to install J2SDK and I did then ran command prompt, so I did and told me to type: javac HelloWorld.java

'Javac' is not a internal or external command. The book tells me nothing esle but that.

Buuuuuuut. Spike helped me out and told me I had to configure my PC with SDK which Im doing now...
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

heh, first thing i do is get the paths set up right

Another fun thing to do is associate files with the relevant program.

for .py files, make them run python.
for .pyw files, make them run pythonw.

for more fun, open your environment variables and add .py and .pyw to PATHEXT (;.PY;.PYC at the end)

then you can just run them as filename instead of filename.py or filename.pyw, really fun
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Nanukk
Nightclub manager

Post by Nanukk »

Well, heh, the thing is i dont know how to do that so Im using a program called jGRASP. Its easy to use when you dont wanna go throu all the command prompt stuff. Its free too. If you wanna, I can send you it.

Finally after 5hours of help needed, I finally found out why Hello World wasn't working. I used

print1n

instead of

println

Dumb me hehe, dumb book too >:O
Red
Down Under Fozzy

Post by Red »

Ahhhh, I had that issue before where it was hard to work out what character was what. For example I had an issue at the start for typing in the wrong output link in the terminal, I wrote -1openg132 when it was supposed to be -lopengl32. Oops! Hehe. So it is a good idea to make sure that you are using the right characters for the right commands.

It helps to use the debugger and check out where the errors are occurring and on what line it occurs on. This might help you find the commands that are using the wrong character than they should have.

Sometimes to error would appear to occur on a few lines down than where the real error is, this can occur when you forget to include the ',' ';' '}' etc characters which would close the argument/commands. Forgetting to do so would result in everything else below it becoming part of the argument until the next argument character is used and this results most of the time in a fatal error.

A common error as well is the integer error. If the debugger says that the certain number is not an integer, this is probably going to be because you are using "float" to contain your variables where "int" (integer) is the appropriate place to put them to keep track of numbers that are one whole number (no decimal values).

Just some of my thoughts about debugging.

This signature is blank.
Nanukk
Nightclub manager

Post by Nanukk »

Yeah, thats what I love about programs for making langauge. They can always correct you when there are errors. ^^
Red
Down Under Fozzy

Post by Red »

Nanukk wrote:Yeah, thats what I love about programs for making langauge. They can always correct you when there are errors. ^^
Well, sometimes they are pain when you have to create linked functions in the script. Sometimes it is a pain when you realise that you have forgotten to link the functions and the debugger does not tell you which function is missing from the linked function list because it does not show up as an error in some cases! You can sometimes only become aware of the error when you test the software and notice a weird behaviour occuring!

This signature is blank.
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

NEVER leave the last ; off the calss definitions in your C++ header files, it breaks all sorts of fun things in your CPP files, and leaves you no idea that you've left the ; off the header file that's included ;)

i like debuggers, but sometimes they make you lazy, i'm guity of that too
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Nanukk
Nightclub manager

Post by Nanukk »

Red and Anoyo : Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......Well Im new so when you say 'The faction of the hippotanues equels the cicumforance is the squere root of 67, althou he squere root of 67 does not comply but he faction of the y axis is the...blah blah blah' I have no I idea what I just said either so....yeah. Im new. ^^
Denim
Species: Human

Post by Denim »

An interesting topic this. I am not a programmer at all. Mostly I just refuse to program unless I absolutely have to.

My area of excellence is in the content department. I'm a trained designer so I'm more in the area of storyboarding, art direction, modelling (texturing, rigging, animating) and that sort of thing.

I make pretty things v.v This are be my jobz.
You might want to buckle up.
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

*uses the tigerz to tells us a stories*

^.^

or you could do some moddeling for a game project ... now if only i had teimz :mrgreen:
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Red
Down Under Fozzy

Post by Red »

Denim wrote:An interesting topic this. I am not a programmer at all. Mostly I just refuse to program unless I absolutely have to.

My area of excellence is in the content department. I'm a trained designer so I'm more in the area of storyboarding, art direction, modelling (texturing, rigging, animating) and that sort of thing.

I make pretty things v.v This are be my jobz.
For me, I am more of a halfway person, someone who need to know a bit of programming and someone who does a bit of designing, but I make the models as the main part of the skill requirement as a student. So I get to learn the fun of both sides at the moment! :D

Cheers, Red.
This signature is blank.
Yukon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

Made a computer game with someone from UK many years back called Sub Attack, which came out pretty nicely, done in C++. Can't find it on any of my websites though and only have it on my office PC...will try remember to bring it home and upload it sometime for you guys to download & play.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Sticky_Fingers
Species: brown bear

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

think i might have played sub attack. Howzit boys. I've done a course in java already but next year im going c++. I'm pretty newb too. Hey if I start getting good i'll post something. Video game design is my dream but i gotta learn to programme.

lol it would be hellava fun to make a furry game!
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

all i know is it would be hellava difficult.

i'm still up for helping anyoe with C#, C++, or kinda any programming, it helps me to help others.

And then you'd need to make the game have a story line, or open ended, and have it wind up as a glorified chat engine, like SL, or Furcadia, or just as good as IRC :P

aah well, we can dream ^.^;
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

LOL I have awsome ideas...jsut lol a good friend told me to hold onto them...so I'll eventually give you guys more hints of what I'm planning. For now let it be know that I am definately ogna make a furry game some time. ONe hell of an awsome furry oblivion diablo henti bombshell of doom game....or OHOAAFODHBODG!

:3
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Well, don't keep your ideas to yoursef

the first problem with anything is everyone thinks they can do this on their own.

i tried a mud .. 10k lines of C#, nothing auto generated, hardly any comments, 2 years later (ok, about 2 months of solid development) and the game was prolly only 10% complete.

If you want to make a game, and want to start from scratch you need to have at least 2 or 3 working on the engine, then an artist,, and animator, then sounds, music, etc, etc

there's a lot of talent out there, but noone wants to share, and people are afraid their ideas will be "stolen" or worse, it'll be different from what they envisioned, hell, it might actually be good :shock:

oh well, just my 2c worth, i can help more with design as i'd love to write an engine, but in C#, managed code.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

-pats the good mousey on the head-

Not forever LOL....how will i ever get time to breathe with all that crap in my head? :P
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

my current program to monitor and display temperature records is 100k lines of c#, which 25k is generated code

it's prolly more now >.>

don't think a game is easy! well, not a full game from scratch with a built from scratch engine

i don't blame devs for using pre-built engines.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Aeowyn
Species: Percheron

Post by Aeowyn »

I do some 3d modelling in my spare time, and I ROCK at it... and I've always been very interested in game dev. Please let me know if you want help?
I'm all that's left of a BIZARRE childhood