VPN on Android

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

VPN on Android

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Cutting a long story short. I downloaded Hamachi with the intent to create a VPN linking my PC (and home internet) to my phone. After wasting my time with some stupid mistakes and other issues which aren't worth going into detail for, I had it set up correctly. However! I can connect to the VPN through my data connection but not if my phone is connected to Wi-Fi. Apparently this is something to do with the "forwarding routes" option but I did not find anywhere that really explained what that meant or what I needed to put there. I was hoping someone here can explain so I can make sure its working at home and then test it at work on Monday.

Another problem which I will worry about later is that I didn't seem to have access to my PC through the phone while on the VPN even though I was sure it's meant to be the same as a LAN network. But, first things first, lets get the VPN working using Wi-Fi.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: VPN on Android

Post by Leeward »

You don't need a VPN to connect to a network you're already on, that might be why it's not working on your home Wi-Fi.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I dunno about that.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

Personally I use OpenVPN (provided by my firewall, but you can run a server yourself).

https://openvpn.net/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... pn.openvpn

Maybe not as straightforward to set up as Hamachi, but I like the control it gives me.

It is also in theory possible to use L2TP/IPSec, but I never got that to work properly.