Windows 10 crash, resume from before crash?

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Windows 10 crash, resume from before crash?

Post by jacojerb »

So, a really weird thing just happened to me... I was playing Payday 2, when my screen started flickering then went off. I couldn't get it to go back on, and simply clicking the power button didnt switch off the laptop, so I help down the power button to force it to go off

Walked away, did some other things for 15min, came back, switched on my laptop, entered password... I was back in game. Exactly where I left off. It wasn't in a menu or anything, it was in the action...

What happened??? My google chrome and everything was as I left it... I held down the power button, which doesn't make it sleep, or shut down, it just kills it, right? And then it just resumes, where it left off... I don't know how to interpret this

I recently started using Windows 10... Is this a Windows 10 feature? If so... What the hell? Does it know when it's about to crash and dump the ram to hard drive, or what? I tried simply pulling the plug to replicate the results, but that didn't work... So, I have no idea what happened. It's not constantly saving ram, so does it just do this when it knows it's about to die? If so... How? What... I don't know whats going on...
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Windows 10 crash, resume from before crash?

Post by Leeward »

Maybe it ran out of battery and automatically hibernated? And was far enough by the time you held down the power button to be able to resume?
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Did you hear the harddrive "click" before it turned off?
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

I don't remember any clicks, and it was plugged in. I heard the game sounds while the screen was off, so I don't think it went into hibernating... And I guess I should add, it has no battery life, so if the power cable comes out, it dies immediately...
Mew?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I have windows 10 and truth be told, while I love it, I also notice that sometimes my screen goes blank for a few seconds, then it flickers back (so not near as bad as yours). it's weird but I'm not sure if it's related to windows 10... my laptop does overheat...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

It sounds like bad GPU drivers and/or overheating components.

Remember that Windows 10 shutdown = hibernate, if you don't disable 'fast boot'.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

I'm guessing it was overheating. My laptop has done this crash before...

And I'm okay with shut down = hibernate.
Mew?